Topic: Of Proccessers and GHz...  (Read 8931 times)

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
Of Proccessers and GHz...
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:33:15 am »

Considering getting a new comp (Once a year those kids pay off   ) and I've been seeing a lot of the "Dual-Core" processes and wondering if anyone knows if it's really "better" or just "different".

As a comparison example:
Gigabyte 8I945GMF Motherboard
- Socket: 775 (64-Bit)
- Chipset: Intel 945
- 4 SATA Ports: SATA 1 & SATA 2
- 4 PCI Slots: 1 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe, 2 PCI
- Onboard 10/100/1000 GB LAN
- Max RAM: 4GB
Dual Core Intel Pentium D 930 3Ghz CPU
- Socket: 775
- Cache: 2x2MB
- FSB: 800MHz
nVidia 6600GT 128MB Video Card
- 128MB of DDRIII Memory
- 256-Bit PCI-e x16 Interface
64-BIT Windows XP Pro

vs.

Gigabyte GA-8i915P Duo Motherboard
- Slots: 3PCI/e & 1 PCI-E X16
- Onboard 7.1 Audio, USB 2.0
- 4-SATA / IDE & SATA Raid Controllers
- Intergrated LAN Ports
- Max RAM: 4GB
- Dual Channel DDR & DDR2 Support
Intel Pentium 4-560 3.6GHz with HT Technology
Speed: 3.6GHz
- Socket: 775-Pin
- Cache: 1MB
Gigabyte nVidia 6600 PCI-E 256MB Video Card
Chipset: GeForce 6600
- Memory: 256MB
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

These specs aside, both systems sport the same things as far as hardware, RAM, etc.
The second one looks slightly more powerful to someone as computer illiterate as myself, but, the dual core one sounds just as good, maybe better...
And there's only about 10 buck difference in price...the first one being cheaper.
Any advice/comments from those with more knowledge on the subject...?
I'd appreciate any insight from those that really know. 

Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Of Proccessers and GHz...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 03:14:05 pm »
If you are buying a new system then I think that Duel-Core is the way to go.  However both AMD and Intel are releasing new motherboard CPU pin standards that should be out in a couple of months.  If you can I would wait until then and buy the new standard.  Why buy a system that will be obsolete a month or two after you buy it.  The industry moves way to fast as it is now.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 05:00:28 pm »
Link to Original thread:

As KBFLordKrueg has chosen to place it here I suggest that we continue the discussion here in Engineering.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 05:35:58 pm »
Continued from other thread.

Link to page with wattage information on several CPUs

Hey, I am just talking about what he said.

What he works on is the stuff that won't even be out for 1-2 years. 

Right now, he feels AMD is on top. 

Intel is suffering from the old IBM disease, NIH (not invented here). 

AMD introduces Hypertransport which gives them advantages - Intel rather than license it spend years trying to create an equal but different system.

AMD creates a 64bit extended version of the x86 instruction set - Intel pooh poohs it and then when forced by the market to implement it calls it EM64T and even in their documentation never mentions that it is a clone of the AMD 64bit instructions.

The same happened with DDR memory.  Intel wanted to push Rambus.  The market didn't want it - too expensive.  Intel even tried to market a chipset that would allow the use of either memory type, resulting in a massive recall (one of Intels trips).

Intel knows that AMD has stated that they have designed the Athlon 64 with multi-core in mind but Intel pushes out a "dual core" chip first to try and reclaim the appearance of a technological and performance lead.  Note that when I say Intel pushed out a "dual core" chip it is not a "true" dual core as it is actually 2 chips in one package not 2 chips built as one. 

Intel also has the problem that they have been letting marketing drive them rather than listen to the engineers.  Intel was in the drivers seat for so long they forgot that they were driving a taxi and people could get off and use the competing line. 

What saves Intel right now is the massive production facilities that they have which could supply the entire PC market.  AMD on the other hand only has limited production and apparently is selling everything they can make even with a factory that is producing 150% of its rated capacity and another producing at least a little while still under development and supposedly months from official production.  A 3rd party foundry that will be producing AMD chips in the coming months has been using a combination of AMD and IBM tech to produce the chips for the XBox 360.  That will allow them to debug most of the process at Microsofts expense before they move on to the AMD chips.

When I told him I was thinking of going to AMD he said it is the smart thing to do. Not even a hesitation about it.

And I really hope that the competition stays fierce too b/c, as Nemesis points out, the competition rocks for US.

DH, the whole reason for the conversation in the first place was b/c I am starting to have real issues with today's games.... IE my ATI 9600XT isn't cutting it anymore... and the next card WILL be PCI express... so I need a new mobo...

Right now AMD is the way to go, especially towards the higher end.  In spite of long years of AMD having a reputation for chips running hot right now it is Intel that is having heat problems.  They are forcing old designs to go in directions (dual core) and speeds never intended with the end result of major heat problems (the Pentium M chips used in Centrino branded laptops are an exception to that).

I would say however that with the planned AMD launch in June/July of new revisions using DDR2 800mhz rather than the current DDR1 400mhz memory waiting is the best choice if feasible.  You may have reason to upgrade sooner but I would say hold on for the 1.1 Revision of the DDR2 800 mhz motherboards if you can.  The more you push the machines memory access (especially in Dual Core) the more the advantage goes to AMD.  AMD has the higher memory bandwidth and lower latency which aids them in those circumstances.

In many ways the nVidea chipset based motherboards do seem to be among the best around.  nVideas contract with Microsoft to produce the original XBox on the Athlon allowed nVidea to do most of the development on Microsofts dime before Intel jumped in and made them a better office to use the Pentium III.  nVidea wisely didn't scrap the work but completed it as a full function PC motherboard chipset and used it to broaden their market. ATi has recently done the same but I've never tried their boards (except in my Acer laptop).

Link to old "Intel is desperate thread" that you may find of interest.

Note:  Edited to fix a typo where I wrote Hyperthreading instead of Hypertransport.  I always hated the way those two names were too close.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:43:17 pm by IKV Nemesis »
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 05:49:44 pm »
One of the advantages of the nVidea based motherboards is that at least some of the better ones include a hardware firewall in one (of usually 2 available) of the include network "cards".  Hardware firewalls do seem to be better overall at protecting your systems and do so without compromising performance or risking software conflicts with other programs.  A hardware firewall is harder for a random virus, spyware or other malware to bypass totally as well.

I haven't used one of these hardware firewalls in the chipset yet as I don't have a new enough system (other than the laptop) to have a board with such a feature.  But I do look forward to it.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »

AMD introduces Hyperthreading which gives them advantages - Intel rather than license it spend years trying to create an equal but different system.

AMD creates a 64bit extended version of the x86 instruction set - Intel pooh poohs it and then when forced by the market to implement it calls it EM64T and even in their documentation never mentions that it is a clone of the AMD 64bit instructions.

The same happened with DDR memory.  Intel wanted to push Rambus.  The market didn't want it - too expensive.  Intel even tried to market a chipset that would allow the use of either memory type, resulting in a massive recall (one of Intels trips).

Intel knows that AMD has stated that they have designed the Athlon 64 with multi-core in mind but Intel pushes out a "dual core" chip first to try and reclaim the appearance of a technological and performance lead.  Note that when I say Intel pushed out a "dual core" chip it is not a "true" dual core as it is actually 2 chips in one package not 2 chips built as one. 

Intel also has the problem that they have been letting marketing drive them rather than listen to the engineers.  Intel was in the drivers seat for so long they forgot that they were driving a taxi and people could get off and use the competing line. 

What saves Intel right now is the massive production facilities that they have which could supply the entire PC market.  AMD on the other hand only has limited production and apparently is selling everything they can make even with a factory that is producing 150% of its rated capacity and another producing at least a little while still under development and supposedly months from official production.  A 3rd party foundry that will be producing AMD chips in the coming months has been using a combination of AMD and IBM tech to produce the chips for the XBox 360.  That will allow them to debug most of the process at Microsofts expense before they move on to the AMD chips.

When I told him I was thinking of going to AMD he said it is the smart thing to do. Not even a hesitation about it.

And I really hope that the competition stays fierce too b/c, as Nemesis points out, the competition rocks for US.

DH, the whole reason for the conversation in the first place was b/c I am starting to have real issues with today's games.... IE my ATI 9600XT isn't cutting it anymore... and the next card WILL be PCI express... so I need a new mobo...

Right now AMD is the way to go, especially towards the higher end.  In spite of long years of AMD having a reputation for chips running hot right now it is Intel that is having heat problems.  They are forcing old designs to go in directions (dual core) and speeds never intended with the end result of major heat problems (the Pentium M chips used in Centrino branded laptops are an exception to that).

I would say however that with the planned AMD launch in June/July of new revisions using DDR2 800mhz rather than the current DDR1 400mhz memory waiting is the best choice if feasible.  You may have reason to upgrade sooner but I would say hold on for the 1.1 Revision of the DDR2 800 mhz motherboards if you can.  The more you push the machines memory access (especially in Dual Core) the more the advantage goes to AMD.  AMD has the higher memory bandwidth and lower latency which aids them in those circumstances.

In many ways the nVidea chipset based motherboards do seem to be among the best around.  nVideas contract with Microsoft to produce the original XBox on the Athlon allowed nVidea to do most of the development on Microsofts dime before Intel jumped in and made them a better office to use the Pentium III.  nVidea wisely didn't scrap the work but completed it as a full function PC motherboard chipset and used it to broaden their market. ATi has recently done the same but I've never tried their boards (except in my Acer laptop).

Boy that was a long winded way to say that my cousin was basicly correct in his comments. ;)
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:03:18 pm »
Thanks to all who replied.
I gather that Dual-Core is the way to go over a single processer then, eh?
That really was all I wanted to know.  ;)

It also explains why the AMD dual-core systems are so much more expensive than comparable Intel ones.  ;D

Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:36:59 pm »
Boy that was a long winded way to say that my cousin was basicly correct in his comments. ;)

Given the number of times I have had to clear up anti AMD biases that were formed back in the days of the K-5 I tend to go for details when providing AMD vs Intel info.  Some people still throw out that Tom's Hardware video showing what happens when an Athlon heatsink falls off compared to a P III.  Even when it was filmed it was of questionable validity since I had never ever heard of a heatsink falling off any CPU and still haven't. 

Besides I gave reasons for why the opinion was valid rather than just the bare statement.  Reasons can be very important when making decisions.  So enjoy the breeze ;).

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:08 pm »
Technology does move fast, even if you wait for the new tech it is going to surpassed in short order. If you do multiple things at once dual core is nice. Want to alt tab out of a game and check some stuff on the internet? Not a problem no hiccups or slow downs.

I'm betting the performance increase from DDR2-667 is going to be negligible compared to DDR-400. I would not count on the appearance of DDR2-800 on an AMD machine this summer, but even then its not like the performance is going to be like night and day. There is not a reason to wait other than for prices to come down.

As far as the the nVidia hardware firewall, that was the second thing that I deleted from my latest install. It is not ready for prime time, lots of people including myself, experienced corrupt downloads with the firewall drivers installed, even if the firewall was disabled.

I've got 2 socket 939 chipsets in the house and have not had a problem with either , would recommend the nForce 4 and ATI RD480 to anybody right now.

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:03:45 am »
My only issue is that you can't get an Intel board that supports AMD processors.  The issue I have long had is that Intel makes a damn fine motherboard (their on board chipsets have been ironclad for a very long time).  My problem with AMD has ALWAYS been that in order to get one I had to roll the dice with a non-intel Motherboard.  Asus, Abit, etc... I have had them all at one point or another, and so far the I point out that ALL my motherboards that are still working at home (with the lone exception of an Asus with a 1.333 ghz AMD chip) are Intel.  Hell one of them is a Pentium 550 that I am still impressed with (as it still works and has never had an onboard fan, just a single exhaust fan besides the power supply fan) in terms of longevity.

Amd has some damn impressive CPUS when it comes to desktops, however I still give Intel one major advantage, Mobile.  The "M" chip appears to be a very good chip with amazing "battery life" options.

There is one last peice that keeps me buying (and recommending) Intel.  Memory... to behonest Processor just doesn't matter as much as Memory, and memory bus.  Save some dollars on the top end processor, and get yourself the best damn memory you can afford, then double it.  :-)

GE-Raven

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 09:11:52 pm »
Both my previous systems have been AMD systems, I'm just trying to squeeze as much pwr into my dollar as I can.  ;)
Looks like I'm going to go with:
Gigabyte 8I945GMF Motherboard
- Socket: 775 (64-bit)
- Chipset: Intel 945
- 4 SATA Ports: SATA 1 & SATA 2
- 1 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
- Onboard 10/100/1000Mbps LAN
- Max RAM: 4GBs
- USB 2.0 & Firewire Ports
Dual-Core Intel Pentium D 830 3GHz CPU
- Cache: 2MB (1MB per Core)
- Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology
1GB DDR2-533 Memory (getting twin 1 GB sticks with it, so it'll be 3 total)  ;D
NVIDIA 6600 256MB Video Card
-256MB of DDRIII Memory
- 256-Bit PCI-e x16 Interface
200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
- Capacity: 200GB
- Speed: 7200RPM
- Interface: Serial-ATA
- Cache: 8MB

I'd REALLY like to get this sweet dual-core AMD system, but, it's just out of reach of my budget.  :-\

And I just don't have the tech knowledge to build a system from scratch.  ::)

At any rate, the one I'm going to get is going to be a vast improvement over what I have now, so I anticipate gaming on it with a minimum of patience.  ;D

Again, I appreciate all the advice.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 09:27:38 pm »
You could get DDR400 RAM (costs less), and use the saved money towards a AMD 3800+ X2 and still have better performance.

ALSO

Crucial Ballistix 1GB pair of DDR400 has Low timings (that means fast) and costs ~ $100, thats what I got for my AMD X2 System I just built.

I musta spent ~ $600 - 800 on my system.

AMD X2 3800+
eVGA 6800 GS 512 MB
DFI LanParty (this is evpeisive, if you on budget get a lower priced moetherbaord)
Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR 400

Those are the most expensive parts.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 09:43:34 pm »

AMD introduces Hypertransport which gives them advantages - Intel rather than license it spend years trying to create an equal but different system.

Note:  Edited to fix a typo where I wrote Hyperthreading instead of Hypertransport.  I always hated the way those two names were too close.

You know AMD is not the only way to go here especially if price is a consideration. if that is the case go intel, they are much cheaper and more budget friendly (and Nem even you must agree on that)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 10:30:54 pm »
I WAS on a budget and got more bang for my buck when I upgraded my desktop syst to a Prescot core.(P4).

Eventually, and I dont know when, I may upgrade again.

RAM, is a possibility.

Video card is another. But wait. I have a new video card that I am happy w/.

Or I just may not upgrade at all.

And that still reminds me, still looking for a rodent (mouse) for my laptop. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 09:52:54 am »
Just a quick note:
  As I build computers for commercial use (arcade machines) I MUST remind you'z of the thermal characteristics of AMD chips- they run EXTREMELY hot compared to Intel chips.  ALWAYS read the thermal guidlines on AMD's site and stick to it like glue. An overheated AMD processor becomes junk the first time, so watch it like a hawk when you're finished building it and ALWAYS use a power supply that has a cooling fan facing the processor, as well have a case fan that blows out next to the power supply. My current Athlon runs about 50 C and is rock solid (as opposed to 65 c before I installed the case fan).
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 10:08:42 am »
AFAIK this USED to be the case.

The latest Pentiums actually run hotter than any AMD64.

That is not to say that AMD64 run hot but Pentiums run hotter;  the AMD64 actually run cool and the Pentiums run hot.

The two have effectively switched positions.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:54:14 am by Strat »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 10:20:43 am »
ALWAYS use a power supply that has a cooling fan facing the processor, as well have a case fan that blows out next to the power supply. My current Athlon runs about 50 C and is rock solid (as opposed to 65 c before I installed the case fan).

Holy crap! 50-65°C!!!  :o That is going to self destruct - and fast... The Athlon I run rarely goes over 43°C.  Electronics like body temp. 37.5°C. Which the mainboard seems to hover at.

ALWAYS use a power supply that has a cooling fan facing the processor, as well have a case fan that blows out next to the power supply.

That might have something to do with it... that is not a good cooling setup in my view, blowing the significant heat of the power supply into the case is just not a good idea.

I use the default power supply configuration with the fan blowing its hot air out, and a chassis fan at the back also blowing air out of the case. This way there is something close to laminar flow from the air intake inlets at the front of the case to the vents at the rear with fans pulling the hot air out of the case. The processor fan is doing the bulk of the cooling for the cpu anyway, you just need to ensure it has a good supply of cool air to pull over the heatsink. Blowing hot air from the power supply into the case is just not a good idea.  :thumbsdown:

For my main PIII-1000MHz PC I also have the power supply and chassis fans pulling air out of the full tower case at the back. Current stats attached (of course cooler than the Athlon 2500 I run, which is currently in storage, and is usually a few degrees higher in the heat of the summer - these numbers are probably why it has run rock solid for me over 6 years and performs wonderfully):
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:42:02 am by Bonk »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 01:13:12 pm »
You know AMD is not the only way to go here especially if price is a consideration. if that is the case go intel, they are much cheaper and more budget friendly (and Nem even you must agree on that)

Not if your going dual core. 

Intel has kludged together 2 cores that were not designed for it into a single package and they run hot.  Once they create a chip designed for multicore from the beginning then that may well change.

The AMD K8 chips were designed for multicore and they run much cooler. 

The designed for / versus kludge and the power consumption/heat issues give AMD the nod in spite of being more costly.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 01:27:31 pm »
Just a quick note:
  As I build computers for commercial use (arcade machines) I MUST remind you'z of the thermal characteristics of AMD chips- they run EXTREMELY hot compared to Intel chips.  ALWAYS read the thermal guidlines on AMD's site and stick to it like glue. An overheated AMD processor becomes junk the first time, so watch it like a hawk when you're finished building it and ALWAYS use a power supply that has a cooling fan facing the processor, as well have a case fan that blows out next to the power supply. My current Athlon runs about 50 C and is rock solid (as opposed to 65 c before I installed the case fan).

You are out of date.  Check the chart here.  Note the Pentium D 930 that KBFLordKrueg is considering is on the chart as using 93.6 watts the top AMD X2 chip is the 4800 and it uses 87.3 watts.  The top Pentium D on the list uses an astounding 128.9 watts.  So who runs hotter?

As to an AMD overheating and junking automatically, in a word - wrong.  I've had a dual CPU Athlon machine overheat and be fine afterwards.  My nieces (now ancient) Duron 650 recently had some major overheating problems until they called me over to fix it and clean a solidly packed heatsink - it still works.  AMD has the same type of overheating protection that Intel uses.  They were later at adding it but they have still had it for years.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 03:42:26 pm by IKV Nemesis »

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 05:10:58 pm »

Holy crap! 50-65°C!!!  :o That is going to self destruct - and fast... The Athlon I run rarely goes over 43°C.  Electronics like body temp. 37.5°C. Which the mainboard seems to hover at.

Um, my Athlon 1.4GHz that I've been running as my server (used for many D2 Campaigns) have been running nearly non-stop at 65-72 °C for three years
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 05:38:19 pm »
Um, my Athlon 1.4GHz that I've been running as my server (used for many D2 Campaigns) have been running nearly non-stop at 65-72 °C for three years

That particular CPU does run hot.  That is because it is an end of line chip and end of line designs tend to be pushed close to their limits.  The Athlon XPs that succeeded it ran much cooler.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 05:48:02 pm »
That's the same Processor I've been using for nearly five years now and I've never had a problem with it overheating.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 05:54:30 pm »

Wow, you could cook your dinner on that sucker! Perhaps they're not as heat sensitive as I thought, I always figured the cooler the better though (within limits of course, I'm sure it would slow down at -20 or something crazy like that)

My Athlon server is the XP 2500+ (1.8 GHz) so that is consistent with what Nemesis tell us, it definitely runs much cooler than your 1.4.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 07:56:56 pm »
what Nemesis tell us, it definitely runs much cooler than your 1.4.

I had an Athlon 1.4 ghz from the time they were the fastest Athlon.  I gave it to a friend and late last spring finally upgraded him to an Athlon XP 2100+, which ran cooler by far.  That chip survived for months with the CPU fan running at 1/3 speed before I had access to it to replace the fan.  So I'm speaking from personal experience. 

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 11:25:51 pm »

Intel has kludged together 2 cores that were not designed for it into a single package and they run hot.  Once they create a chip designed for multicore from the beginning then that may well change.

The designed for / versus kludge and the power consumption/heat issues give AMD the nod in spite of being more costly.

Nem... i was refering to price not about performance (as in budget system).... Sometimes you can't go w/ the best cause well its just too expensive for what you get, expecially if you have to start skimping on other areas in order to stay in budges ;) ya got to read what i'm saying dude ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 12:20:41 am »

Nem... i was refering to price not about performance (as in budget system).... Sometimes you can't go w/ the best cause well its just too expensive for what you get, expecially if you have to start skimping on other areas in order to stay in budges ;) ya got to read what i'm saying dude ;)

Sometimes someone actually did read what you wrote and replied correctly.  As I said "Not if your going dual core." 

Right now dual core is not budget and dual core is where AMD absolutely rules.  Intel duals are kludges (at present) and run hot.  Even Intel dual cores are not budget systems for price. If someone were to go dual core now and want to keep the price down I would say stick with the AMD X2 3800+, a powerful chip that is relatively frugal with electricy and therefore runs relatively cool.  Price/performance in dual core is ruled by AMD and in that area Intel should be avoided.

What I didn't say but which was implied by the fact that I explicitly and only referred to the dual cores was that in the non dual core systems Intel was very competitive.  I don't say much about them because I haven't been looking as much at the lower end systems lately and can't make as much in the way of suggestons.  In single core systems that are away from the high end Intel is definitely competitive as long as you watch the heat issues as you go up the scales.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 01:23:43 am »
sorry bud, but the prices don't lie

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+1050716915&Subcategory=343&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001028+1302820275&Subcategory=343&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Intel has the budget PC atm, amd definatly does not.  I've never been refering to max performance, i've been refering to budget, ie, there is more than a computer than just a processor when you only got 600-800 bucks to spend, amd cannot offer that. What amd owns is performance, but cannot do what intel can do when it comes to cutting price which is why intel has the budget slot...

o btw, i was joking around w/ ya bud on my last remark, nothing serous ment by it just my dry humor sneaking through ;) lol  i've actually been following this pretty well cause in about 6 months i'm upgrading, and the interesting stuff is just getting out there :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2006, 01:55:25 am »
What amd owns is performance, but cannot do what intel can do when it comes to cutting price which is why intel has the budget slot...

The performance end is where the big profits lie.  Intel would rather change places with AMD on which end of the market they "own".

AMD is selling everything they can produce.  They don't have the ability to make as many chips as they could sell (unlike Intel) due to lack of production facilities.  They therefore have to choose where to compete and where to yield the market to Intel.  They target the high profit areas.  Servers, laptops and high end desktops.  The low end chips are often sold below cost so owning that market is expensive to Intel, which is why in the past they allowed AMD to own it (and lose money).  AMD is maximizing their profits to pay off debts and prepare for taking a larger market share as they expand their ability to manufacture CPUS.

With luck when the 3rd party foundry begins kicking out chips (in the midrange I expect) AMD will have a strong presence in all the areas they can make money and can push ahead on making more production facilities quicker (or revamping old ones that can't make current CPUs).

One way AMD can increase capacity is to use fewer transisters per CPU.  Fewer transisters means a higher yield on functional and faster CPUs as well as lower power usage.  It also means smaller chips which results in more chips yielded per wafer.  The obvious way to do that is less memory on the chip (resulting in lower performance).  A less obvious way is to keep the quantity of memory but decrease they number of transistors to make it.  To that end they licensed a new memory technology (link below)

Link to article

The embedded memory is a good fit with AMD, which has moved all its microprocessor production over to SOI manufacturing processes. ISi (Santa Clara, Calif.) has claimed that Z-RAM can achieve five times the density of embedded SRAM, the conventional memory choice for on-chip caches, and twice the density of embedded DRAM.

They could decrease the transistors for memory to 20% and greatly increase their output.  Or they could increase the cache 5 fold for a performance increase.  Alternately they could do a little of both - more cache for servers and high end desktops fewer transistors for the lower end and laptops.  All while increasing market share and decreasing manufacturing costs without a major cash outlay or decreasing profit margins.

This memory technology requires a silicon on insulator process.  Intel does not use that process - AMD does.  So potentially AMD could very substantially increase their output if they can integrate this into their CPUs as they apparently plan.  An advantage that AMD may be able to take that intel cannot without licensing the process technology for SOI from IBM and building new facilities to use it, which means a minimum 2 year gap for AMD to make use of it.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2006, 09:42:09 am »

I use the silent Zalman silent Power supplies, they run hotter but make almost no noise.   My Pentiume M laptop will often run at 72+ °C, but that is okay since it is rated up to 100%.

The new AMDs don't run this hot, it's only a concern for the olders chips, 
Wow, you could cook your dinner on that sucker! Perhaps they're not as heat sensitive as I thought, I always figured the cooler the better though (within limits of course, I'm sure it would slow down at -20 or something crazy like that)

My Athlon server is the XP 2500+ (1.8 GHz) so that is consistent with what Nemesis tell us, it definitely runs much cooler than your 1.4.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2006, 09:58:49 am »
nem i never said they weren't losing money, i said that when it comes budget stuff intel has it, nothing more nothing less ;) I have not doubt that intel does not like this position, but i doubt it will stay that way for long (it never has).  sorta like nvidia and ATI, ATI won the bought against nvidias fx series, nvidia wooped them with their 6000 series, one of the biggest peformance jumps to date, now they is pretty much even (nvidia has a slight performance lead last i checked though). to think otherwise (as you have in other posts) is kinda ludicrous ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2006, 10:03:50 am »
btw nem, low prices may be bad for intel, but they are great for the consumer, in other words we are not argueing here whether or not amd or intel has the budget slot really, or who is losing money because of it, we should be argueing the value for a consumer based upon customer needs (note customer needs, not customer wants), which as i said has intel in there for budget, and amd in there for performance, there is nothing more to argue here cause anything else well would be fan boyish (and i'm hoping i'm avoiding that as well)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
System arrived... ;D
Only issue  discovered so far is the fact that many utility programs (winzip, AV, etc) are not compatable with the WINXP pro 64 bit OS software... ::)
This has requred me to download drivers for the 64 bit version from various websites.
Kind of a PITA, but tolerable since I have broadband.

And, I doubt heat is really going to be a issue as this system has a total of 5 cooling fans.  ;D
On my other system (AMD proc.) I could feel the heat just buy touching the case. On the new one, it's run constantly for over 24 hrs now and the case is still cool to the touch.  ;)
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 09:58:28 am »
ALWAYS use a power supply that has a cooling fan facing the processor, as well have a case fan that blows out next to the power supply. My current Athlon runs about 50 C and is rock solid (as opposed to 65 c before I installed the case fan).

ALWAYS use a power supply that has a cooling fan facing the processor, as well have a case fan that blows out next to the power supply.

That might have something to do with it... that is not a good cooling setup in my view, blowing the significant heat of the power supply into the case is just not a good idea.

I use the default power supply configuration with the fan blowing its hot air out, and a chassis fan at the back also blowing air out of the case. This way there is something close to laminar flow from the air intake inlets at the front of the case to the vents at the rear with fans pulling the hot air out of the case. The processor fan is doing the bulk of the cooling for the cpu anyway, you just need to ensure it has a good supply of cool air to pull over the heatsink. Blowing hot air from the power supply into the case is just not a good idea.  :thumbsdown:

For my main PIII-1000MHz PC I also have the power supply and chassis fans pulling air out of the full tower case at the back. Current stats attached (of course cooler than the Athlon 2500 I run, which is currently in storage, and is usually a few degrees higher in the heat of the summer - these numbers are probably why it has run rock solid for me over 6 years and performs wonderfully):

I think you misunderstood (or maybe I said it wrong) The fan in the power supply FACES the processor but DOES NOT blow onto the chip- it sucks air from the facing side and blows it thru the power supply and out the back of the case, as well as the case fan next to it. As my Athlon used to run at 65 C before the case fan addition it now runs about 50C both are below the AMD spec'd redline of 70C.

Both of my PC's are old by todays standards (AMD Athlon, and P4 (non-HT)) so are the ones I build (Durons) so the new chip data may very well be completely different than what I posted.

Sorry for the confusion.

And LK, I thought you we're building one, not ordering a built one. Just lending some 'experience' as I've cooked my share of chips, as seen cooked one (even bad MB's with fried caps after the processor fans failed).
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 05:56:23 pm »
Link to full article

It appears that AMD is bringing the release of the DDR2 chips forward a bit.

AMD has reportedly rescheduled the release of its Socket AM2 platform, bringing forward the launch date from 6 June to 23 May, the better it seems to get as much of a lead on Intel's next-generation architecture processor, 'Conroe', as possible.

While also bringing out cooler chips.

AMD's energy efficient processor family is expected to include dual- and single-core Athlon 64 and Sempron desktop chips with TDPs of 65W and 35W.

Link to 2nd article

The new chips do look to be supporting DDR2 800mhz.

Website Xbit Labs cites a "confidential" AMD document which states: "Performance and mainstream AMD socket AM2 dual-core and single-core processors [are] designed to support DDR2-800 at launch."

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 04:03:37 pm »

I think you misunderstood (or maybe I said it wrong) The fan in the power supply FACES the processor but DOES NOT blow onto the chip- it sucks air from the facing side and blows it thru the power supply and out the back of the case, as well as the case fan next to it. As my Athlon used to run at 65 C before the case fan addition it now runs about 50C both are below the AMD spec'd redline of 70C.

Both of my PC's are old by todays standards (AMD Athlon, and P4 (non-HT)) so are the ones I build (Durons) so the new chip data may very well be completely different than what I posted.

Sorry for the confusion.

And LK, I thought you we're building one, not ordering a built one. Just lending some 'experience' as I've cooked my share of chips, as seen cooked one (even bad MB's with fried caps after the processor fans failed).

I wish I had the know how to build one, I very briefly toyed with the idea...then I came to my senses.  ;D
Got cooling fans out the arse on this one, btw.
1 blowing out on the pwr supply...another case fan below in pulling air out...an fan directly over the CPU, pulling out, with another side case mounted exhaust fan across from it, a intake fan in the front and a HS fan on the video  card.
Somewhere in here there's a program to monitor all that, just havn't explored the that system throughly yet... ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:18:26 pm by KBFLordKrueg »
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »
Carefull with those fans.  Sometimes adding fans can hinder air flow isntead of help it.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 11:40:24 pm »
as long as you set up fans as intake (front of the case for me) and exhaust (rear in my case) you should be fine.  its when they are either both exhaust or both intake you run into problems
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 08:15:15 am »
Carefull with those fans.  Sometimes adding fans can hinder air flow isntead of help it.

I didn't add anything...that's what the system came with.
It was built for gaming.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead