Topic: Winter is coming soon and I wanna play :) (VID CARD QUESTION)  (Read 4554 times)

Offline SurveyCrew

• Lt. Junior Grade
Winter is coming soon and I wanna play :) (VID CARD QUESTION)
« on: August 19, 2005, 08:02:29 am »
My monitor suddenly went dull a few months ago. I switched to an older monitor, still dull.
Does this mean I need a new Vid. Card. My current card is a Nvidia 32 mb, yes old but has worked.
I was thinking about dropping $20 on ebay to replace, or do I need a new machine.?
Asus a7v 133 motherboard
AMD 1300mhz
512 mb SDRAM
(forget HD space)

Any thoughts appreciated   :)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Winter is coming soon and I wanna play :) (VID CARD QUESTION)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 11:38:04 am »
Matrox, Matrox, Matrox! Unparalleled color quality, brightness and contrast.  (I'm a rabid fan.)  To heck with 3D benchmarks and bogus standards - go for image quality. I have yet to see anything that matches the trueness and quality of my Matrox G450 - Nokia 447za CRT combo.  :thumbsup:  I've been lusting for the Parhelia for some time now.

(note - if you want to be able to play the latest and greatest FPS, Eve or Nexus, then you have to buy Intel, NVIDIA or ATI... those artificial standards I spoke of... ;))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 12:23:25 pm by Bonk »

Offline Sfaret

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 11:10:16 am »
Matrox was an awesome card in it's day but it has fallen by the way side.  However to have a more verstile play base I suggest ATI. What price range are you looking for? I have some inside tracks on support, I am a member of the driver beta test team and a personal friend of the head of the driver division. :-) I get my support and that for my friends really fast :-)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:28:50 pm »
get a 128mb video card... I would reccomend an ATI Radeon 9550.

I have more or less the same system as you, except a 1ghz P3 thats OCed to 1.1ghz and I use a 256mb 9550.

I got the 256 because it was the same price as the 128.

Throw $70 and get a decent vid card to go with that system.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer