Topic: Question and Concept  (Read 1047 times)

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
Question and Concept
« on: July 21, 2006, 07:12:04 pm »
Ohhh either I have been drinking or this is good...

Question -- How does the server work in terms of alliance set ups and can it be changed in mid server?

Reason/Concept

Invision a server where you sign up with only one account and one race -- it will no longer matter which side you sign up for because the server is

Gamesmater Server. (Based on some Captains Log issue I read 25 years ago where Captains were put in charge of ships that were not their race and had to fight other ships in a similar position = as I recall it wa a good read with 4 ships involoved)

Every 24 hr period the teams get radomly shuffled, each reset the alliance changes 3 slots go to team A 3 slots go to team B
The guys who were you allies last night are your enemy tonight.
Eliminates unbalanced servers unless one Race contains a far larger number of  pilots then any other race. Bitching over previous fractional differences to be resolved as once pilots begin to fly with each other they learn they are ok guys and DONT CHEAT so comments like -- hey don't worry I flew with that guy he didn't drop on purpose may emerge. It works for both PVP and Hex FLippers as the Hex Flippers may attack territory tonight that they took over last night for the other team..as for PVP well come on it always good to face new teams and new ships combos..

Interesting concept if ya ask me -- provided teams can be changed every night, can that be done?
Victory conditions and other rules are easy enough to work out if this concept can be implimented.

Hell the more I think about this its starting to sound good.(Or to many rum/cokes) .As long as teams can be changed every 24 hr hours.

KHH_ShadowLord
Duck

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Question and Concept
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 04:45:47 am »
Theoretically it can be done though it has never been tried, as far as I know. It requires database edits. I think Dave's new flatfile editor can edit tensions, though I have not had a chance to play with it yet. You could give it a spin and see?

It sounds like fun, but not sure how long term strategies could be implemented, though if it was a short server with nightly goals it might work out OK...

Hmmm, it might well work on a long term server too, ya got me thinking about shaking up The Forge... I'll put it on my list of experiments... definitely an idea that is worth some thought.

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 06:25:30 am »
Very much becomes a game of limited objectives -- so victory conditions would have to be adjusted to show that. Does not allow for the traditional long term strategy, but rather a set of nightly objectives based on allies and enemies. Perhaps a server like this would also work best if each race had somewhat equal representation. Still I think the idea sounds fun myself.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:42:20 pm »
You could easily have cloak and dagger politics that way. Would make temp alliances fairly nasty... Think of an RM OCI feature allowing this to be setup on the fly...

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 02:44:05 pm »
Quite a unique idea, but can't say I'd be particularly interested, it is the long term strategy that draws me to the D2.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 02:48:20 pm »
You could easily have cloak and dagger politics that way. Would make temp alliances fairly nasty... Think of an RM OCI feature allowing this to be setup on the fly...

That would be cool, eventually. I'm having to restrain myself to the features we discussed in order to make the deadline, hopefully. There's a lot I can add now, but I want to take my time to get it right with as few problems as possible. Its tough to keep trak of all the ideas I'm getting. I should be writing them down...

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 06:40:16 pm »
Duck, that Captain's Log thing that you read some 25 years ago I have it right in front of me.  It was Star Fleet Battles Captain's Log #3   unless  I have the wrong mission in mind.

This issue is the one that introduced the Hammerfield and the Doomslayer.