Topic: Notebook question  (Read 918 times)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Notebook question
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:58:53 pm »
Bought a notebook for the wife, as basic as I could get it since she only needs it for use in school (MS Word) and surfing from the couch when home (has built in LAN). It comes loaded with XP Home but will only be running on 512 ram. What suggestions do you knowledgable folks have for uninstalling/deleting/disabling all the unecessary stuff/services in XP? 
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline wulf111

• Member of OutaLance Shipyards
  • Lt.
  • OutaLance, Where Dreams Become a Reality
Re: Notebook question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:58:29 pm »
definatly disable the messenger service as alot of adware/spyware come in on it. i have been using XP on my old laptop for quite some time now its only a P2-400 with 384 MB ram flawlessly so i really dont think you will need to change to much and i am sure that others will have some more suggestions for stuff you should get rid of

Chuck Norris floats like a butterfly and stings like a tomahawk missile. At mach 3. In the face.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Notebook question
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:22:02 am »
Here is a good place to go to find out the what stuff you want, need, and just plain crap that is stuffed on your computer:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

You have to go through their little horse and pony show but at the end there is a option that you can click that will give you the run down on everything running on that computer.  The list comes with instructions on how to disable it and keep it from running at boot if you don't want to uninstall it outright.  Hope this helps.