Topic: Sense of justice discovered in the brain  (Read 972 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Sense of justice discovered in the brain
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:42:43 pm »
Link to full story

Moral centre?

"Self interest is one important motive in every human," says Fehr, "but there are also fairness concerns in most people."

"In other words, this is the part of the brain dealing with morality," says Herb Gintis, an economist at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, US. "[It] is involved in comparing the costs and benefits of the material in terms of its fairness. It represses the basic instincts."

Psychologist Laurie Santos, at Yale University in Connecticut, US, comments: "This form of spite is a bit of an evolutionary puzzle. There are few examples in the animal kingdom." The new finding is really exciting, Santos says, as the DLPFC brain area is expanded only in humans, and it could explain why this type of behaviour exists only in humans.

Fehr says the research has interesting implications for how we treat young offenders. "This region of the brain matures last, so if it is truly overriding our own self interest then adolescents are less endowed to comply with social norms than adults," he suggests. The criminal justice system takes into account differences for under-16s or under-18s, but this area fully matures around the age of 20 or 22, he says.

Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1129156)

Now to develop a test to see if that area is fully developed and functional before people are considered adult.  First test all the lawyers and politicians.  Then the rest of you guys.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
Re: Sense of justice discovered in the brain
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:57:26 am »
Interesting, although I wouldn't go so far as to call this region of the brain, the moral centre.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:37:03 pm »
I had my moral compass removed years ago...never looked back.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 07:16:31 pm »
I would love to have a Cat scan done on my brain, if nothing else then just bio-feedback on how I react to various stimuli.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War