Topic: U.S.S. KNOX NCC-1940 Knox Class Frigate  (Read 6517 times)

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
U.S.S. KNOX NCC-1940 Knox Class Frigate
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:01:05 am »
OUTALANCE SHIPYARDS
U.S.S. KNOX NCC-1940
Knox Class Frigate

Owner: United Federation of Planets
Class: Heavy Combat Vessel
Availability: Unlimited Deployment
In Service: 2277
Out of Service: n/a
Source: Starship Design - Interstellar Forum for Naval Power
Author(s): Todd Guenther & Starstation Aurora
Publication Date: 1984
-------------
Since the post war years of the 2250's, Star Fleet has maintained a considerable force of Frigates as an affordable means of patrolling vast sections of previously-unguarded Federation borderspace.
Starships from both the Surya and Coventry classes filled this role admirably for some time.
In response to lessons learned during the Kzinti Incursion of 2272, however, many of the Surya Class Frigates were hurriedly uprated to Avenger Class Heavy Frigate specifications.
As soon thereafter as appropriations permitted, the converted Frigates were replaced by starships of the Knox design.

Two considerations guided the design and construction of these spacecraft.
First, the configuration of the Avenger Class had proven so impressive.
Both in terms of warp-dynamics and Dilithium endurance, that the design board determined that the new Frigate should be a scaled-down version of the Heavy Frigate design.
Missing would be the photon weapons package and the large hanger bays and flight decks used for fightercraft operations.
In other respects, however, the overall configuration, warp geometry, and defensive potential would be quite similar.

A second consideration affecting the construction history of the Frigates was the decision to have one contractor build all 26 spacecraft.
Pressed by renewed instances of Klingon border violations, Star Fleet was anxious to increase the size of it's Frigate fleet as soon as possible.
To order a large number of ships over a short time span, however, would require the allocation of an extraordinary portion of the starship procurement budget--unless some means were found to simultaneously cut production time and costs.
This goal was achieved by placing the entire order with Newport News Shipbuilding., who completed the project within five Earth years at twelve percent under budget by eliminating much administrative redundancy.

The lead ship of the resulting class was named after Matthew Turnbull Knox, a former governor of the Martian Colonies who figured proximately in that planet's movement to declare independence from the British "Three World Empire" early in the twenty-second century.
He was also one of the authors of the "Fundamental Declaration of the Martian Colonies", which gave form to humankind's first government independent of Terran control.
It should be noted that Commander Artemus Bestiner, a descendant of Knox, was awarded first command of the Frigate bearing his illustrious ancestor's name.
On SD 7904.36, Bestiner guided Knox to a position in Federation-Klingon borderspace where considerable data could be obtained on the new K'Teremny destroyer design.
Later Knox again confronted one of these destroyers, and in action inflicted considerable damage to the warship.
For these acts, Bestiner received the Prentaries Ribbon of Commendation (Second Class), and the starship was awarded a Star Fleet citation.
-------------   
Kitbashed: ModelsPlease
Model Parts: Rick Knox
Model design: Todd Guenther & Starstation Aurora
Textures: GotAFarmYet?
Registry: Centurus & ModelsPlease
HP & DPs: ModelsPlease
Scaling: ModelsPlease

http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/files/dist/index.php/file,3cc450d5034251505fdf93a57c4ec59e.rar

Enjoy folks !!!!!
-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
Re: U.S.S. KNOX NCC-1940 Knox Class Frigate
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:45:45 am »
MP, amazing work you've done here! I have been wanting to replace my standard frigates with this design for a long time, and you've made it possible. Thank you.

GaFY, great job on the textures! Thank you.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:41:31 am »
good ship, now i need a new battleship fed tos to my collection, already have a lot of fed, and a few dreadnought but no BB  :-[

;D ;D

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:38:39 pm »
good ship, now i need a new battleship fed tos to my collection, already have a lot of fed, and a few dreadnought but no BB  :-[

;D ;D
The best Battleship design for TMP, in my opinion, is the Ingram Class Space Control Ship. I've seen discussion of it on these boards, but to no model of it exists, that I know of.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:27:31 pm »

;D ;D

TOS Fed BB's.....................

http://www.frost-works.com/schtupp/zips/TOS_Galaxy_V1_512.zip

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/strategyplanet/sfc/omega/fleetdock13/newships/fbbtsp.zip

And the one that needs finishing............

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 07:29:08 pm »
The best Battleship design for TMP, in my opinion, is the Ingram Class Space Control Ship. I've seen discussion of it on these boards, but to no model of it exists, that I know of.

Pic please

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:43:17 pm »
Great work MP;
      It would be nice if Lord Schuppt would come out of retirement and finish off some of those nice designs he was working on like the battle ship and the CVS and the Antares. I miss his work.  ;D

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:24 pm »

Pic please
Here's a pic of the Ingram SCS, MP.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 09:48:14 am »
Yikes that's not very original.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 03:23:24 pm »
I definitely respect your opinion, MP. Still, it manages to be one of my favorite starships. The Excelsior class were originally planned as space control ships, and as we all know, they were re-designated as a heavy explorer class. However, according to Mastercom Data lore, a few ships were actually constructed as purpose-built space superiority and area command and control ships. The Ingram class ships are actually an Excelsior sub-class. Take a look at these schematics: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/excelsior-blueprints.php

Offline pepperman

• Lt. Junior Grade

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 05:39:54 pm »
I definitely respect your opinion, MP. Still, it manages to be one of my favorite starships. The Excelsior class were originally planned as space control ships, and as we all know, they were re-designated as a heavy explorer class. However, according to Mastercom Data lore, a few ships were actually constructed as purpose-built space superiority and area command and control ships. The Ingram class ships are actually an Excelsior sub-class. Take a look at these schematics: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/excelsior-blueprints.php

I meant no offence to ya bro, just didn't really think much about it..............should be a fairly easy bash though ;). Gimmie a few days, I'm backlogged.

Offline Chrystoff

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 06:06:10 pm »

I meant no offence to ya bro, just didn't really think much about it..............should be a fairly easy bash though ;). Gimmie a few days, I'm backlogged.
No worries, MP. I didn't take any offense; More than a few people have disliked the Ingram. But I'm glad you're open to bashing it. ;D