Topic: wtf abrams and trek universe 2?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Junior Grade
wtf abrams and trek universe 2?
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:55:27 pm »
I am so confused...

I have recently read, and reread, an article describing romulans going back in the Trek timeline to assassinate either someone or the father of someone to forever alter the Trek timeline...

This is the new movie?  Not just a recreation of canon using new actors and new effects?  wtf?!?

Nimoy is evidently going to play Spock as a defender of the timeline, but seriously, wtf?

Shouldn't Stoney be there, kilt and cardassian women and everything, telling Spock that we have it under control?

Frick... I fear for the future. 

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33832 <-- the article that made my sphincter do the horta.

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Re: wtf abrams and trek universe 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 06:28:45 pm »
you beat me to it starkiller,

i read the article today. i counted  4 eye rolls and 2 groans. not a good start to a possible new reinvented star trek universe. considering timetravel was in the first sentence... well you get the idea. (okay first sentence of paragraph 8 or so. :P )
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:26:52 pm »
It just soooo aggravates me at the huge number of dropped balls, and the amazing potential of Star Trek to launch a sci fi universe that would completely overshadow all others...

If this rumor is true, it is a huge disappointment that they would effectively do the same thing that the Borg have already tried.  I was kind of excited about a recreation from the ground up, kind of only cause I would love to have seen the sights, and experiences of the old school Starfleet Academy, and the different badges.  Just a little fact like the badges in TOS refelcting individuality, based on the starship or fleet you were in.  That is bad ass.  Now it is all the star, that fricking enterprise star. 

I so want to know what happened with the other fricking starships back in the TOS days, so much story to be told, so many paths to walk.

Old school SFB offered so many possibilities with the Tholians and the Gorn.  So many different races to illustrate.  The Kzin!!! 

I honestly would rather see the history we have known brought to life, with new actors if need be.  Don't really care if the redo Kirk, cast Damon, don't care...  I want to see the ships.  Destroyers, Tugs, Dreadnoughts... I want to see phaser battles and drones.  Plasma torpedoes and those effing wild weasels.

I wanna see the drone shuttles launch their deadly warheads in that sweet ass flower pattern so common in sfc2. 

Bah... <-- grumpy old man.

I feel fortunate to have experienced the sfc community and the modelers, modders and kitbashers, who managed to wrestle control of Star Trek and do All The Right Things.

Black Ops Station salutes you all.

=/\=

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:48:18 am »
Just read half of the article, and Turned away, as Images of Stabbing JJ Abrams ran through my head.

No f*cking way. I was looking forward to seeing ST on the big screen again, but not anymore.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:11:49 pm »
Ironically, Gene Roddenberry had read Larry Niven's Sci-Fi books and asked him, personally, to re-write them into the Star Trek canon as a story line in Animated Series.

The Kzinti have beeen around in SCi-Fi literature even before Star Trek.They have only appeared twice in Star Trek, once in the Animated Series and Gene had them repressentent in Star Trek V, when Kirk ends up with a Kzinti female on his back. He was loosing his touch with women by the TMP period.

As for Drones, if they're done like in BSG rather than the Drones in the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy", which is where we have the idea of Drones from in SFB, it would look great.

I think that J. Abrahams need to see the South Park Episode where the boys try and stop Speilberg from remaking Raiders of the Lost Ark and ruining it. The moral was that it was that the originals are always better and that remakes spoils people's nostalgia.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:29:04 pm »
I'm torn, personally. On one hand, the new cast looks solid, and I'm surprised they managed to attract as many good, A-list actors as they did... but this whole time travel thing makes me wince. Trek hasn't done time travel well since First Contact and that VOY ep where the ship ends up in that deep freeze. Enough, already. Quit while you're ahead, sheesh.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 03:57:06 pm »
Goddammit, I have to agree with the concensus here.

WHY THE F#*K can't we just get some good stories from the "good ole days" ?

Why does every moron have to jump the "let's do the time warp agaaaaain" bandwagon?

*sigh*

GODDAMN, could you imagine the Fed / Rom war? THAT WOULD BE ROXXOR.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
A day in the Trek script writer's depatment....

Script Writer #1:  "Geez we can't think of anything intelligent or original for a story line!!"

Script Writer #2:  "Hey why don't we used the old standby of time travel as the core of the plot!! We've used it so many times before!!"

Script Writer #3:  "Brilliant idea!!"

Script Writer #4:  "Yes!! The fans will fall for it just like they always do!! They don't want or need anything too mind taxing anymore!!"

And that's how a script storyline is arrived at.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 04:03:14 pm »
They keep doing time loops since well time is infinite.
You can always just create a problem with temporal inteference, while as going constantly forward in time.. they run out of ideas that havent been repeated or at least are similar.. thus, solution: time travel. You can always pull a Rabbit out of that hat.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 05:16:05 pm »
A possible Trek storyline that the fans might approve of......

Due to a continuity and causlity loop in the Trek timeline, the crew of the Entreprise have to travel back in time and prevent Paramount from ever creating or making ENT!!

Failing that, they correct all the errors such as Phase Pistols, Phase Cannons, Transporters beaming animate objects et all, thus restoring continuity with TOS and TNG episode histories.

Perhaps that is the Romulan's mission, to infiltrate Paramount in teh 21st Century and create ENT.

Looks like they succeeded!!

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 08:53:05 am »
hey just my opnion. but the reason for it is st got its best viewers from the original sieries and seeing the name kirk and mccoy and scotty brings back memories. I agree they should do it differently but give it a chance. a good one would be the breakup of the feds and klinks and a breakdown of the federation itself therefore creating the separate races. then they can give us sfc4 with 10 playable races hehe

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 09:08:19 am »
I think that folks are just scared that the Trek continuity is going to be further messed up in a repeat of the ENT experience.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 09:43:18 am »
No one but the fans care about continuity. Paramount would release "Star Trek: Bridge Crew in the Hood" starring Lil Jon if they thought they could make money off it.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:11:22 pm »
No one but the fans care about continuity. Paramount would release "Star Trek: Bridge Crew in the Hood" starring Lil Jon if they thought they could make money off it.

Personally, I think that would be hilarious. ;D

"Bridge to landing party..."

"WHAAAAT?"

"Everything OK down there?"

"YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

"Cool... let us know when you need a beamout"

"OKKKKAAAAAAAAY!"

Bad Trek, yes... but I'd LMAO. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."