Topic: battery-ultracapacitor hybrid  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
battery-ultracapacitor hybrid
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:57:03 pm »
Link to full article

The company boldly claims that its system, a kind of battery-ultracapacitor hybrid based on barium-titanate powders, will dramatically outperform the best lithium-ion batteries on the market in terms of energy density, price, charge time, and safety. Pound for pound, it will also pack 10 times the punch of lead-acid batteries at half the cost and without the need for toxic materials or chemicals, according to the company.

The implications are enormous and, for many, unbelievable. Such a breakthrough has the potential to radically transform a transportation sector already flirting with an electric renaissance, improve the performance of intermittent energy sources such as wind and sun, and increase the efficiency and stability of power grids--all while fulfilling an oil-addicted America's quest for energy security.

I want my batacitor.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: battery-ultracapacitor hybrid
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:48:38 pm »
From above article:
EEStor claims that, using an automated production line and existing power electronics, it will initially build a 15-kilowatt-hour energy-storage system for a small electric car weighing less than 100 pounds, and with a 200-mile driving range. The vehicle, the company says, will be able to recharge in less than 10 minutes.

omg, most people stop that often on long trips!  At least they do if they're travelling with old people...  But the 10-minute recharge!  If you were driving a motorhome it would take that long to fill your tanks! 

It's coming, it's coming!!!  Cheap gas!!!!  Once those things are out on the road, everyone's going to want one, so the rest of us in our gas-hogs will have free reign over the pumps!!  wewt :P
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:55:11 pm »
The problem with capacitors is that their capacitance is directly releated to the surface area of the capacitor...and their tendency to discharge all at once.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:22:09 pm »
The tendency to discharge all at once should make for interesting special effects usage in films when large high capacity units are made.  Especially live films of real electric car accidents.  Of course we will still need to see what steps can be taken to reduce accidental rapid discharge.

Have you seen video of Sonys exploding laptop batteries (they made the batteries but multiple companies put them in laptops)?  Fairly flamboyant explsions for such small units that aren't designed (intentionally) to explode. 

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."