Topic: My Take...  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
My Take...
« on: March 31, 2008, 03:53:15 pm »
On a Medusan starship... Gorgon-Class

Figured the ship should be a highly modified fed ship, so I gave it a highly modified navigational array and some sensor pods.

Offline FoaS_XC

• Photorps, Sammiches, woot woot.
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • Robinomicon
Re: My Take...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:50:40 pm »
Stop me if I am wrong: it has one nacelle?
Robinomicon
"When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life."

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:47:37 pm »
Aye, she has one nacelle
Still working on it but this is the direction I am heading towards.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:01:38 pm »
Finished Side-view:

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:18:23 pm »
What does the species look like again?

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:28 pm »
Depends, do you want to go mad and drive your spaceship outside the galaxy to feel safe from "them?" :)

Nice Atlom. I liked what they showed in the episode, but I also like your ship. The reasoning behind it also stands.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:50:31 pm »
thnx
yeah it would make sense that the Medusans would still need starships to get from point A to Point B, and I can totally see them feilding highly refined vessels to fit their needs.
I can also see their tech specializing in navigation and sensors to be utilized in the next generation of starship by Starfleet(possibly the Connie Refit).

The Medusans are a race of noncorporial(...though I do not personally agree with that definition of them) beings from TOS that if you saw them, you would go insane.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 07:59:46 pm »
I don't think the TOS episode addressed the Corporal/Non Corporal-ness of the Medusans.

I just assumed that their physical form was so....different that it drove men (and half-vulcans B) ) mad when seeing them unshielded.

Your design seems to suggest the Federation handed off a Deadalus hull for the Medusans to modify in their own way. They may have done this to strengthen the national fleets of their member races that didn't have any ships of their own before joining the Federation *shrug*

I like that touch about the deflector though. Makes sense, and an appropriate homage to the forgotten TOS races :)

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 08:39:25 pm »
the insanity could have been attributed to a form of telepathic communication that was intrusive to other lifeforms.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »
Eye protection wouldn't be needed to shield users from telepathic communication though. You'd need a helmet, not eye goggles, so it must be something sight-related.

Offline Starforce2

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 09:05:10 pm »
Ok, then perhaps a series of glows or visual communication (similar to the way video games cause seizures)?

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 10:08:29 pm »
I like to think that the Medusans exist in a different way from what we consider 'normal matter'. They have bodies sure, but they exist in a phased state that causes the humand mind do go mad when trying to perceive it. Kind of like an extreme form of sensory distortion (i.e. hearing from your eyes). Or as another example, 2001's images in the end are things that aren't really there, but they are the closest things that Dave could comprehend. The visor perhaps filters out some of this, or blobs the vision whenever certain wavelengths that defy humanoid perception hit the screen.

It's not any fault of the Medusans, obviously, but life and matter evolved differently on their world.

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 02:25:39 pm »
I like to think that the Medusans exist in a different way from what we consider 'normal matter'. They have bodies sure, but they exist in a phased state that causes the humand mind do go mad when trying to perceive it. Kind of like an extreme form of sensory distortion (i.e. hearing from your eyes). Or as another example, 2001's images in the end are things that aren't really there, but they are the closest things that Dave could comprehend. The visor perhaps filters out some of this, or blobs the vision whenever certain wavelengths that defy humanoid perception hit the screen.

It's not any fault of the Medusans, obviously, but life and matter evolved differently on their world.
I'm glad someone other than Me thinks they are some kind of semi-phased or semi/quasi-corporeal-type organisms with possible density control :D

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 09:21:26 pm »
I'm glad someone other than Me thinks they are some kind of semi-phased or semi/quasi-corporeal-type organisms with possible density control :D

Hehe :) A testament perhaps to TOS's writing style: creating a perfectly believable alien without going to an arm's length to actually show it. Doing more with less is TOS's merit- something lost in later generations, I feel.

I suppose it goes without saying that being in a phased state of matter might be the reason why they're so good at being able to navigate through space/time. They might perceive the giant gravity well at the center of the universe better than we do.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:33:24 pm by Norsehound »

Offline Atolm-Rising

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 02:25:54 pm »
In general that's almost all things :)

Okay here's the Coloured version:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:53:39 pm by Atolm-Rising »