Topic: Need Some Tech Help Here...  (Read 2330 times)

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Need Some Tech Help Here...
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:02:22 pm »
Last month I became the proud owner of a HP dv9000 Notebook with Vista as the operating system.  My problem is Vista apparently refuses to operate the old taldren mod viewer and the MfcSfcEd Model viewer will work but the textures are, to say out of whack, would be an understatement.  Is there a newer .mod viewer out there that will allow editing like Taldren's old one or the MfcSfcEd viewer???

Also has anyone else here had a problem with vista not allowing programs that Xp or ME/2000/98 would run with ease???

Thank you for taking the time to view my posting and any advice, input, or direction of travel is appreciated.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: Need Some Tech Help Here...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 08:11:58 pm »
Last month I became the proud owner of a HP dv9000 Notebook with Vista as the operating system.  My problem is Vista apparently refuses to operate the old taldren mod viewer and the MfcSfcEd Model viewer will work but the textures are, to say out of whack, would be an understatement.  Is there a newer .mod viewer out there that will allow editing like Taldren's old one or the MfcSfcEd viewer???

Also has anyone else here had a problem with vista not allowing programs that Xp or ME/2000/98 would run with ease???

Thank you for taking the time to view my posting and any advice, input, or direction of travel is appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't see much remedy here. I would suggest that you consider creating another partition on your hard drive and installing XP on it and dual booting.

Many programs, especially older programs, just aren't compatible with Vista and nothing can be done to make them work.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:28:35 pm »
I don't have Vista, but if it allows you to right click and select properties->compatibility->compatibility mode->Windows 98/Windows ME, like XP does try that. You might try disabling visual themes also, if that doesn't work (and is allowed.). Good luck and let us know if anything works out, besides a complete OS install. What a pain that'll be. ::)
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:40:01 am »
i have been unable to locate a vista compatibility option.  also vista seems not to respond to 3dmax or even anything that uses a model in .mod file form.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:09:59 am »
thanks for letting us know, its another reason not to get vista, does sfc's work?

did you contact the maker of 3D max studio to see if there a patch for vista?

also try to contact windows to tell them about it.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:36:00 am »
Was just reading about a patch that may or may not add anything:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/Compatibility_Update_for_Windows_Vista_s83366.html

Description of it is:
Microsoft has released a Compatibility Update for Windows Vista

"Install this update to address a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Vista. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms."

The one thing I'm thinking about is that ModViewer is VisualBasic (I think).. wonder if that's part of the issue.. have you tried running that with full access rights?  (Disabling User Access Control).

One other thing I'd check is to make sure that you have the latest OpenGL NVidia implementation from NVidia.. I don't remember if ModViewer is OpenGL, but Vista puts OpenGL on top of DirectX in Vista rather than the old method as in XP.  And that could be another thing breaking it..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 11:28:00 am by atheorhaven »
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:10:29 pm »
When I got this computer I explained to the customer service rep from BESTBUY what I will be using it for.  I settled for this one at a cost of $1100 vs the next one that had double the harddrive space and double the price.

When this started.  I was well under guarantee and contacted GEEKSQUAD.  What they told me is that I was just plain stuck.  This computer was specifically made for a specific OS.
The OS was not made for this computer.  They explained that windows doesn't offer any patch or support for my dilemma due to their belief that all the world will be the Vista Kingdom.
I was told that even if I wiped the OS system from this computer and installed another, say XP or other.  Finding the specific drivers for that OS would be extremely difficult.

As far as my experience.
iTunes will not play.  All my Battlestar Galactica episodes are just taking up space on a SEAGATE portable harddrive.
Taldren Model Viewer is defunct. 
The SFCed Model Editor is working but textures on hi-poly hi-quality models are not placed properly.
Star Tek Legacy wil not play properly even at the lowest settings for the game and the highest quality settings on my laptop.
Winamp plays well.
3dsMax doesn't work.  It doesn't recognise the program.
BRL-CAD doesn't work.  This is a design program that was developed by the US.Army.  Open source and passed about freely for soldiers to use for designing better systems or just fooling about. SFC-I, SFC-2 and OP are inoperable due to Vista not responding or whatever to the models.
SFC-III sucked and I never bought another copy after trashing the first one.
Half-Life.  None of the games will work properly.  Lots of graphics and physics problems.
Dawn of War.  The games are playable.  I'll leave it at that.

Athereohaven.  Thanks for the d/l info.  I tried it and Vista rejected it. 

To all others.  I'm going to ask the moderators to close this thread.  I'll be posting a topic in the H/S forum.  Sort of a running account on Vista.  What I can say is in my own opinion.  I wish that if i had the chance to do it over I would have gotten a desktop with XP or something else.  Vista in my opinion is for the Microsoft devotees not someone like me.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:23:48 pm »
Athereohaven.  Thanks for the d/l info.  I tried it and Vista rejected it. 
To all others.  I'm going to ask the moderators to close this thread.  I'll be posting a topic in the H/S forum.  Sort of a running account on Vista.  What I can say is in my own opinion.  I wish that if i had the chance to do it over I would have gotten a desktop with XP or something else.  Vista in my opinion is for the Microsoft devotees not someone like me.

PM  me on this one.. if we get all the components of your system, you may *still* be able to run XP on it no matter what they're telling you..

Or, I can think of a couple more options.  ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!