Topic: Richard Jeni Dies in Apparent Suicide attempt.  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Richard Jeni Dies in Apparent Suicide attempt.
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:47:31 pm »
http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Entertainment-News/Article/Default.aspx?idx=510393

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Stand-up comedian and actor Richard Jeni, a regular on NBC's "The Tonight Show," has died in an apparent suicide, police said on Sunday.

Los Angeles police spokeswoman Norma Eisenman said a woman called police on Saturday morning from the West Hollywood area and said: "My boyfriend just shot himself in the face."

Jeni, 45, was found alive and taken to hospital but was pronounced dead about an hour later, Eisenman said.

Jeni appeared in movies including as "The Mask" and in the TV show "Everybody Hates Chris," and was named in 2004 in the Comedy Central list of 100 great stand-up comedians.

He was a regular guest on "The Tonight Show" when Johnny Carson hosted the late-night talk and variety show and also after Jay Leno took over as host in 1992.

Born in Brooklyn, he also appeared in the HBO Comedy Hour and wrote material for the 2005 Academy Awards show.

Authorities have scheduled an autopsy for Monday to determine the exact cause of death.

---------------------------------------

I always liked his William Shatner Impressions.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Richard Jeni Dies in Apparent Suicide attempt.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »
I know all too well that path.

>:(

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:21:44 pm »
Okay, it's been a few days since this went up so maybe I can get away with a little crass humor now...how can a successful suicide be an 'attempt' like in the title of the thread?  The guy succeeded!  I mean, you murder someone, you get charged with murder.  You try and fail to kill someone you get charged with attempted murder...so wouldn't attempted suicide be failed suicide and successful just 'suicide'? 

:)

With the humor part being over...suicide is never easy to deal with, especially like this one appears to have been done.  I've lost friends and loved ones this way and I wish the best for those who loved Jeni. 
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:42:13 pm »
I think they call it attempted when the death isn't successfully carried out right there, especially if the person changes his mind after his survival.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:28:08 pm »
Not to be callous, but I had the same thoughts as judge.  It seems that if he died, he didn't just attempt at killing himself (definition of suicide) but actually suceeded.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:02:00 am »
This is sad.  Very sad.  He was a very funny comedian and good actor.  I remember his tv show, Platypus Man, back when the UPN network first started.  Really bites.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 09:50:27 am »
See the way I read it, was that the police hadn't came all out and said it was a suicide, but it was leaning that way, as apposed to a murder.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War