Topic: DVD/CDrom drive help.  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
DVD/CDrom drive help.
« on: May 02, 2007, 11:35:08 pm »
Ok hears the thing. I have quite a few devices...

Running winxp of course.

one DVD R/W
two CDRW
one DVD/CDRW

I can't under any configuration get them to recognize.

Long story short, Khalee wanted me to test two of his old drives on my system, and I got a Boot Sector virus from them somehow. I managed to get rid of it, but now my cd/dvd drives are not picking up in BIOS, and I can barely get one to show up in the OS. Even then IT won't run.

I've tried various Power cables, and jumper settings (switching the IDE cable from master to slave, to Cable select.

Is it possible that my secondary IDE port on the MB is bad, Or I do have an identical Power supply I can use.

Suggestions please.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
Re: DVD/CDrom drive help.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:04:06 am »

Is it possible that my secondary IDE port on the MB is bad, Or I do have an identical Power supply I can use.

It is quite possible but i doubt it. How old is your MB, BTW. And yes a virus could affect it, including the BIOS.

May need to get a new MB.

Of course, someone here will shoot down my ideas.

Your friendly neighborhood pc tech ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:13:18 am »
I don't think this will require a new motherboard but it may require you to flash the Bios.  Have you tried reseting the jumpers on the motherboard?  That plus flashing the Bios might just do the trick.  Other things you might try is to remove everything except the video card and one of the devices and see if the Bios picks up the device.  If it does then power down the system, add another device and repeat until the Bios has a hissy fit.  That will let you know if one of the devices is bad.  Hope this helps.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:15:17 am »
Thanks guys, Starting surgery as soon as the coffee get's done.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:49:41 am »
You guys rock!

I checked the Bios for a K8T neo (ms-6702) and I was good with the 2.20 version. I then pulled everything, and noticed something on one of my power cords, one of the Red pins had slipped out. I managed to get one CD/DVDrw picking up, and both of my 160 gig HD's. Didn't loose any data, so this makes me a happy SOB.

Stephen