Topic: Authorities Concerned Over Rise of Teen Linux Gangs  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Authorities Concerned Over Rise of Teen Linux Gangs
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:11:46 pm »
Link to full article

Boston, MA—On Friday evenings, scruffy bands of teenagers gather in alleys behind Micro Centers, Best Buys, and Apple Stores across the country. Going by names like “Team Mayhem” and “The Pipes,” the Bawls-swigging teens trade Linux installation advice, brag about their videogame prowess, and sneer at authorities.

“We’re very concerned about what these kids are doing in their spare time,” says FBI spokesman Mark Brasslathe. “Just a few years ago, these kids would have been safe in their parents’ basements with their PlayStations, but cybermancy has changed all that. Now they’re fast becoming a threat to the public welfare.”

One young Linux gangster, who goes by the name “Retinoid,” agrees that cyberspiritual technologies have radically changed the teen geek community.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Authorities Concerned Over Rise of Teen Linux Gangs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:04:30 pm »
Dear FBI,

GET AN F-ING LIFE!!!

Signed,
Me
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:04:29 pm »
 :angel: :mischief:
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
LOL me thinks the thread has run afowl of the dangerious and unseen shoals of satire.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:49 pm »
shhh!

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 05:35:31 pm »
 :laugh:
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 05:36:53 pm »
Don't upset the squirrel.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 01:36:12 pm »
:P
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 03:21:09 pm »
I'll switch to Linux if someone here can get it installed in a Chihuahua and make it play MP3's for me.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 09:53:12 pm »
I'll switch to Linux if someone here can get it installed in a Chihuahua and make it play MP3's for me.

That should be do able.

Use this motherboard as it is small enough to fit.  I'm using (since last Thursday) Vector Linux on my laptop and it plays DVDs "out of the box" and is supposed to handle MP3s but I haven't tried them yet.  Of course it is illegal in the U.S.  It should run on a system based on that motherboard.  So it can be done.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 09:34:11 am »
I've seen smaller than that, but those are for industry and millitary use. You'd be surprised just how many missiles, Drones, systems and industrial plant processes are run  by embedded PCs.

Be very very worried if Microsoft comes up with a Windows for Missiles release!!

Like the T-Shirt says, "Thank God Microsoft don't make aircraft!!"

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 02:49:39 pm »
Heck, a couple years back when I worked on a Air Force project that developed software that interfaced with flight data computers on AF Jets, we still had to release a DOS version of the application because that was about 18 percent of our market.

The Air Force tech people were still using DOS 6.11

Jezz.

Not as bad as the Navy tho...a lot of their software that drives the advanced radar systems was written back in the 1970's. They've only recently began updating it to newer standards.

Was really hard finding people who know Cobol. =P

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 09:11:20 pm »
COBOL (Completely Obstelete Banal Operating Language) was out of dae in the early 1980's.  :D

They must have had to trawl around returement homes to find anyone who remembered COBOL and then find a card punch terminal out of a museum to programme with.

Geez, and people asume that the Russian were decades out of date, military wise, aparently not!! :laugh:

Only DOS 6.21 and not DOS 6.44 or DOS 7!!  :o

Next you'll be telling us that they were running old 8 bit 4.77 Mhz. 8088 PCs as well!! ::)

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 01:22:15 am »
COBOL (Completely Obstelete Banal Operating Language) was out of dae in the early 1980's.  :D

They must have had to trawl around returement homes to find anyone who remembered COBOL and then find a card punch terminal out of a museum to programme with.

Geez, and people asume that the Russian were decades out of date, military wise, aparently not!! :laugh:

Only DOS 6.21 and not DOS 6.44 or DOS 7!!  :o

Next you'll be telling us that they were running old 8 bit 4.77 Mhz. 8088 PCs as well!! ::)

:laugh: :laugh:

I used to be able to code in Cobol, but that was a long time ago.  My sister still can still code in it though.  That was a serious pain in the @$$ to use though.  I remember a class mate used Cobol to write a program that would convert a number in to hexadecimal, that thing was huge.  Anyone remember Cobol for graphics and animation??!?  I got a big laugh out of that when I saw that course book.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 04:51:02 pm »
Here in the UK, my first computer, when I was still at school in 1977, was a Radofin 1296 running 6.5 Megabyte E2PROM Cartridges. You could either buy games from software companies, such as Activision (yes, they're really that old!!) or biy blank cartridges and programme them yourself. Some companies would sell blank cartridges and advertise for games programmes to be sent into them.

The cartridge system was nicked by a Japanese game machine manufacturer in the 1980's.

However, the only programming language available was Signetics 2650 assembler. Anyone remember the 2650 processor?? It was usually found running Hard Drives (MFM and the old Warp Core sized things) and Disc Drives (8 Inch and 5 Inch).

The 2650 was the competitor to the 8080 and 6800 back in the late 1970's. It is a real headache to programme, if you're used to "normal" register arrangements. So I started out in asembly language programming from day one.

I later added in a homebrew circuit to save and load from tape, as with the ZX81. Actually saving from memory and loading data into memory using cassette tape is not that hard to do with any computer. The first PCs used cassette tape. remember TRON and TROFF??

Despite having computers and programming a lot of my own games (you had to back then), I never made it as a Nerd or Geek.... I ride motorcycles and ran with and later led a motorcycle gang back in the 1980's.

Yes, I have a life.

But in between the fast bikes, fast women and fun, I still found time to play around with computers. I even design and make my own PC cards occasionally.

I also own Macs and they are better!! However, as an electronics design engineer, all the ECAD packages run on PC, as do most games and so I have a lot of them around here for various roles.

I still have an old IBM AT complete with twin MFM brick drives. They just sound so good powering up, just like a jet turbine. It runs Windows 2.03 and still runs, when fired up ocasionally. It's used to play Wolfenstein, Red Baron 1 and Spectrum Emulator games.

I can programme in PASCAL, BASIC, C, C++, any assembler, DOS and CPM.

Talking of CPM, why was it pushed out?? It was far superiour to DOS in the way LINUX and UNIX are superiour to WINDOWS. I can remember, vagiely, the CPM versus DOS back in the early 1980's. Think now, if CPM had won, what operating system would we be running now??

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 04:40:35 pm »
Someone should write Windows for CPM, see how it works

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 05:11:51 pm »
I always like the message, when a floppy disc screwed up, of "Retry, Abandon, Ignore, Salvage??" that CPM put up. The salvage option would copy the data from the disc, without the FAT (which was obviously screwed up) and put it onto another floppy disc, figure out and create a new FAT for it. MS DOS and DR DOS never had this facility!! :(

Also typing in CAT (Catalogue) instead of DIR to lisyt a disc's contents in CPM.

I can also remember when BIOS stood for Built In Operating System, as on the cover of the 1982 IBM publication "The  IBM PC Built In Operating System Manual".

Somewhere, during the late 1980's, someone started wrongly calling it  Basic Input Output System (which it is actually more than) and the worng label has stuck ever since.

I once won £20 at University over the true meaning of BIOS, during one argument. I just went with the guy to the Universty library, asked for the book (it was not a loan book) and just held it up, told the guy to read out aloud what the cover said, and held my hand out for the money.

I seriously need to find a copy of my own though, as I could travel around IT departments all over the planet making a living betting on the true meaning of BIOS!! ;D

If you seriously need to programme a PC in assembler, you need access to this book. It has all the built in subroutines, operating proceedures, descriptions of pre-call register conditions and after call conditions/corruptions.

There are inbuild pieces of software, such as the XDPB, INT27, etc. that can be called upon to do work for you. Also data stream course changes can be performed by simply kicking an address with different value.

On all computers, by industry standards, Date Stream #1 is the Keyboard, #2 is the Printer, #3 is the VDU, #4 is the Serial Port, #5 is the Parallell Port, #6 and upwards relate to storage devices. By redirectiong a stream, you could type and what you type appears straight out of the printer port instead of ending up on screen.