Topic: [ST:C]Omens: 01. Midnight on the Firing Line  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Re: [ST:C]Omens: 01. Midnight on the Firing Line
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 10:50:13 am »
Wow, this is an awesome story. I'm glad I saved it up for reading all in the one go, but sorry that I didn't read it earlier. K and S' write beautifully together, your characterisations are IMHO even better than the Guv's, and a lot better than mine. You introduce really brilliant people that I enjoy reading, and paint fantastic scenes and images. You also use really obscure words like "insouciant" and "caryatid" that I had to look up the meanings of - though does T'Vel really have a stone entablature (http://www.webster.com/mw/art/caryatid.htm) on her head? :D

I remember the intro and the beautiful green-eyed, red-headed captain being lost with her ship. I even remember Larry's counter-comment to that. I happen to think it was mean to do that to her.  :P

I have to say that I'm not overly thrilled with the Starfleet Klingon haters, as Gene's Trek people are supposed to be more mentally and socially evolved than that, but in terms of current world viewpoints it rings totally Cold War, Yanks vs. Commies true. It is current human nature to resent, dislike, or hate that which causes us pain, and you've captured that very well indeed.

Your descriptions of ships and procedures warms this detail freak's heart and fires my mind, and you really do include a whole bevy of beautiful people, male and female. My conflicted self says "that's not very realistic!" while demanding "tell me more about Swimsuit Caesar!" :D

The story is engaging and keeps me "turning the pages", and I'm wondering how Fleet will now deal with an upstart captain who just had his brand new ship wrecked on it's first hurried mission out of dock. Uh-oh!

I love the names you've come up with for the characters, very world-flavour and individual. Characters introduced that deserve special mention:
Dr. Caitlin Denning
Boris Arkadevich Tretiak - LOVE LOVE LOVE the background/family history on him!
Ensign Yukiko Hanagawa

I've noted the last chapter posting date with dismay (10th June) and hope that Kieran returns from the Reserves soon with more story, and Tasky puts more up shortly as well.

This story is definitely a keeper. Please, give me more, I beseech you!
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 09:43:00 pm »
I'm 'bout halfway through this one. I like the writing. I also like the clear definition between authors.

I...echo La'ra's comments on the first part. I've done similar in the past and usually left stuff like it on the edditing room floor.  :-\

I'll read more as time and eyesight allows. For now, though, good job, both of ya.

--thu Guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 09:08:25 pm »
I posted this on the TrekBBS the other day, where S and I are also posting this story -
-----------------
Again... I find myself having to apologize to you all for this long and unseemly interruption to the story, which I'm afraid is completely my fault. We really do intend to finish the story, but both of us have had some fairly pressing matters to attend to in this past month or so.

As far as impending chapters... that's rather flexible right now. Depending on how a myriad of different things go, I could have a new part up in a few days, or not for another week or two. I'll do my best to make it resemble the former instead of the latter.
----------------

So, yeah, RL's been extremely hectic, and when it hasn't been, I've just been extremely lazy. That's what it pretty much boils down to. If S ever finishes with his stupid LSATs or whatever it is he told me he was studying for last time I actually got a chance to talk to him, I can get in touch with him and see where he's at.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 02:16:05 am »
I knew I saw this over there!

Anyway, OMFG THIS ROCKS!!!  Not being a writer, I can't give any critique worth anything, but as a fan of writing, I love it!!!

More please? :D
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.