Topic: I hate to say it, but thumbs down to Norton registry cleaner  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
and Digital River registry cleaner too. I found a badarse new program that really cleaned my P/C out and it runs like I remember when I first bought it. I can now see why they received 5 star awards from major P/C mags and reviews.

http://www.regcure.com/

Norton found minimal errors but I knew it was B.S.

Digital River found a bunch, but Reg Cure found over twice that amount!

At least digital river has a 30 day money back guarantee, and I will take a dig foto and mail it with my letter explaining that they have an inferior product compared to Reg Cure.

Just curious, what do ya'll use? I wish Sethan was online more like the old days, I'd die to see his collection of utility programs.  ;D

Next time I buy Norton, I'm going with just the virus protection. they can keep disk optimizer and registry cleaner.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: I hate to say it, but thumbs down to Norton registry cleaner
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 03:08:36 pm »
I wish I would have known, there's a free cleaner that I just love called CCleaner.

Back in the day, IT was called Crap Cleaner, but as more and more people used it, they changed the name to CCleaner. Even on fully auto, it actually frees up space, and cleans temp, cookies, history, Reg. etc.

No spyware or ad ware added, It's free, small, great Program. I don't know If it's listed in Nemesis free software thread, but it should be.

http://ccleaner.com/

Internet Explorer
Temporary files, URL history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
Firefox
Temporary files, URL history, cookies, download history.
Opera
Temporary files, URL history, cookies.
   Windows
Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
   Registry cleaner
Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
   Third-party applications
Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, MS Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...
   100% Spyware FREE
This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.

Oh well better late in suggesting this then never, Have a good weekend EE.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Electric Eye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:16:12 pm »
It's ok, I should have asked, but I was soooo frustrated at going to Yahoo or another webpage and having it lock up and then waiting forever for the close window thingy to go through then the wonderful Windows error message. Actually I got two programs, Reg cleaner and a nice spyware remover that is updated daily. Besides, at least Dig River will give me a refund on their product. It's funny how a person that is conservative with money will spend on impulse when the P/C is affected, hehehehehehe. Then again, I also use my P/C for investments and research, so it's very much worth it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:30:37 pm »
I hear ya, Hey you might be able to write it off on your taxes, save those reciepts Bro.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lloyd007

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:24:33 pm »
If you want ot get really good AV and really anything like that go for the corporate versions rather than the 'try to scare you into staying' consumer versions if at all possible. Consumer AV and products like that just seem to slow your machine ot a crawl and not really do anything useful while the corp/educational/service versions are nonintrusive and don't go crazy eveytime you want ot go on the internet or install a game. Norton and McAffee and everyone are a bunch of vultures and leeches when it  comes to consumer products all they are is bloatware.