Topic: $189 laptop announced by ASUS.  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
$189 laptop announced by ASUS.
« on: June 06, 2007, 05:46:37 pm »
Link to full article

Asus chairman Jonney Shih sprang a surprise during Intel's Computex keynote today with the announcement of a $189 laptop.

The notebook measures roughly 120 x 100 x 30mm (WDH) and weighs only 900g. We saw the notebook boot in 15 seconds from its solid-state hard disk.

A little light on info but interesting none the less.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: $189 laptop announced by ASUS.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:03:59 pm »
I found some more information.  Partially speculative.

Link to full article

There appear to be conflicting reports about the 3ePC's size. Much early web coverage sizes the device at about half as large as a normal laptop -- 4.7 x 3.9 x 1.2 inches (120 x 100 x 30mm). For its part, Asus lists the dimensions as 8.6 x 6.5 x 1.3 inches (225 x 165 x 21-35mm). Everyone seems to agree the device will weigh about two pounds (890gm), and have a 7-inch display.

The 3epc is based on an unspecified Intel processor and chipset. Given the laptop's low cost, it may well be among the first products based on Tolopai, Intel's forthcoming Pentium M-powered SoC (system-on-chip). Along with a Pentium M core clocked between 600MHz and 1.2GHz, initial Tolopai chips are expected to integrate components traditionally found in PC northbridges and southbridges -- a graphics processing unit (GPU), external memory and storage controllers, and peripheral interfaces such as USB and Ethernet.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:26:33 pm »
Eh, you can buy a used laptop for not much more money and get a whole heck of a lot more functionality.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:30:39 pm »
Eh, you can buy a used laptop for not much more money and get a whole heck of a lot more functionality.

From what I have seen with used laptops the batteries are in terrible shape and they weigh far more than 2 pounds.

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 07:54:39 pm »

From what I have seen with used laptops the batteries are in terrible shape and they weigh far more than 2 pounds.

Then buy a new battery off E-Bay for 40 bucks.

Not a big deal.

Weight isn't the central problem here, especially when you compromise functionality. Heck with a 2 gig "flash drive" you'll have hardly any room for additional programs and the like.

Sure the sucker may be "rugged" and it might be the laptop you'll want to bring while you're backpacking in the African jungle. But here's the damn kicker ladies and gents. At 189 bucks, that's still much more than any average joe in the third world can afford. And most people in the third world don't have any use at all for a laptop. They'd prefer to eat.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:59:53 pm »
Adding $40 for the E-Bay battery raises the price of the used machine a substantial percentage.

This isn't the "one laptop per child" machine this is aimed at the industrialized world.

It would be lousy as a desktop replacement but excellent as a lightweight go everywhere notetaker.   Think of it as a super PDA.  Assuming that it has USB ports you can add additional capacity as needed you might even already have such drives.  Also 2 GB is the baseline model with other higher capacities to 16GB.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 11:51:32 am »
Actually I could see it as a vacation device. something to send email, read the local news, maybe even have some maps on it. For gaming, or as anopther Buisness device, I would have much use for it, but for travel, sure, sign me up.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 02:12:42 pm »
Adding $40 for the E-Bay battery raises the price of the used machine a substantial percentage.

This isn't the "one laptop per child" machine this is aimed at the industrialized world.

It would be lousy as a desktop replacement but excellent as a lightweight go everywhere notetaker.   Think of it as a super PDA.  Assuming that it has USB ports you can add additional capacity as needed you might even already have such drives.  Also 2 GB is the baseline model with other higher capacities to 16GB.

But that's the problem isn't it. We already have PDA's that are small. This thing is big.

As far as taking notes is concerned, that's what notebooks are for. They're 99 cents =)

So you'd have basic functionality, and you wouldn't have the compact size. Trust me, this won't be a big hit here in the states, and the third world won't be interested either because they have no use for computers for the most part.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:51:33 pm »
But that's the problem isn't it. We already have PDA's that are small. This thing is big.

It has a fully functional keyboard integrated in.  A screen that you can do actual text editing on and is still light weight.  I think that you underestimate its uses.  I have a PDA and a laptop, in many cases I would prefer something like this to either.  If I could have gotten something like this I wouldn't have bothered with the much heavier and far more expensive laptop.  The PDA is great to carry when I have no real expectation of needing it (but still might).  One of these would replace the laptop fully for me.

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 05:00:14 pm »

It has a fully functional keyboard integrated in.  A screen that you can do actual text editing on and is still light weight.  I think that you underestimate its uses.  I have a PDA and a laptop, in many cases I would prefer something like this to either.  If I could have gotten something like this I wouldn't have bothered with the much heavier and far more expensive laptop.  The PDA is great to carry when I have no real expectation of needing it (but still might).  One of these would replace the laptop fully for me.

And you'd have a laptop for just text editing, and a laptop for maybe playing games or watching a DVD. See what I'm getting at?

Who would want this barley functional device when they can have much better technology for a couple hundred bucks more.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 05:05:11 pm »
I'm a desktop guy, and probably always will be.  The big reasons I've occasionally considered a laptop purchase is for precisely what this thing would be useful for.  I'd spring for a portable internet/word processing machine for the stated cost, mostly because the extra money I'd be paying for a fully functional laptop would be wasted.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 06:59:56 pm »
And you'd have a laptop for just text editing, and a laptop for maybe playing games or watching a DVD. See what I'm getting at?

I would have one of these for note taking and running other light programs and a desktop for heavier stuff.  No other laptop.  This is exactly what I wanted the laptop for.   I have a portable DVD player and it combined with this is still substantially lighter than the laptop.  I still wouldn't be carrying both in any case I can think of off hand, just one or the other.

Those who need or want a full function laptop would spend the extra money for those features others would not.  Most families could afford one of these for each kid in the right age bracket but would have trouble getting a full featured laptop for each. 

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:11 pm »
Well, we shall see what the market decides. But every time they offer these low-cost, low-function models it never seems to work well. Remember E-Machines?

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:47 pm »
I've got over 200000 frequent flier miles in the last few years, and I can tell you that I look with envy at the guys who are booting up little mini laptops, while I am lugging my [highly capable] HP with 15" screen.

I dont need much functionality..type a paper, do some email, power point... just some microsoft office apps I guess.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 09:37:52 pm »
Well, we shall see what the market decides. But every time they offer these low-cost, low-function models it never seems to work well. Remember E-Machines?

Hope they last long enough for me to get one. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 09:35:53 pm »
Now that they are being released to the market there is more information and price increases.

Link to full article

The most important information is of course the price. Here we have a small disappointment. The price of the Asus Eee PC starts at $299 and goes as high as $399 depending on the configuration.

Back in June the price of the Asus Eee PC was communicated with $199, which would have really been hot. The lowest configuration of the Eee PC is dubbed Eee PC 2G Surf and has 256MB RAM, 2GB SSD, small battery and no camera. With 256MB you can forget running Windows XP.
For power users the Asus Eee PC 8G is anyway the only choice. $399 is not that bad for a 7 inch notebook with 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, webcam and 3.5h battery life. On the Eee PC 8G, I can imagine running Windows XP reasonably well.

A 2nd article

The company will sell a version of the Eee PC with Windows XP in mature markets such as the U.S. and Europe for around $1,000, while a configuration aimed at emerging market nations will cost about $500, said Jerry Shen, president of Asustek, during an investors conference Tuesday in Beitou, Taiwan.

No explanation of the high premium for Windows on the machine.

Asustek has shipped 100,000 Eee PCs so far this month to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Thailand, said Shen, and he is targeting 400,000 units by the end of this year.

Next year, Asustek forecasts it will ship 3.8 million Eee PCs.

"We're in talks with a few governments and we have already confirmed orders for one million units next year," said Sunny Han, global marketing director at the company.

Asustek also reaffirmed its commitment to pushing the cost of the Eee PC down to $199, nearly the same as the XO laptop developed by the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Project. OLPC is pricing the laptops at $200 according to its Givemany and Laptopgiving donor programs.

Two higher-priced Eee PCs were also launched. The NT$11,100 version included a built-in camera and speakers, and can carry out simple voice commands such as "computer, access the Internet," or "computer, make a phone call." It contains a 900MHz Intel Celeron M processor, 512M bytes of DDR2 DRAM (double data rate, generation two dynamic RAM) and a 4G-byte flash drive. The other laptop, at NT$13,888 and due out at the end of November, carries an 8G-byte flash drive and 1G byte of DDR2 DRAM in addition to features similar to the NT$11,100 version.

Possible explanation for the price with XP: (note this referred to a demo machine and did not specify that it was included in the price)

The hardware on board was the same as for the NT$11,100 Linux-based Eee PC. The Windows Eee PC included Office 2003 versions of Excel, PowerPoint and Word.

Adding MS Office as well as Windows XP would explain the price premium.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 01:46:27 pm »
I think it would be a great internet machine.  That's all I'd use it for, but for that use, it appears great.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 07:58:54 am »
I've seen them now.  The keyboard is small but I was able to touch type on it though it is cramped for my hands.  If it wasn't for my job situation I would get one of the high end models.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 12:23:03 pm »
Where did you see it, in case I want to pick one up?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 06:19:47 pm »
Both were in Toronto one was just a local store the other was a The Source (formerly Radio Shack) store.

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 07:54:47 pm »
Hmm, I'll have to check on of those out if I am near one.

-------