Topic: OT: Pet project: NIF File model in need of minor change.  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
OT: Pet project: NIF File model in need of minor change.
« on: January 26, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »
I have this NIF file 3D model of a Super Carrier for the game Making History. Can anyone edit this model and give it an angled flight deck like a Nimitz class carrier? Your work would help a new post-ww2 mod by Ian. I've attached it to this post in case any kind soul would help. Personally, I've never heard or seen a NIF file. Anyone know about em?

Diz

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
Re: OT: Pet project: NIF File model in need of minor change.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »
cordanilus at BCC can import nifs and alter models.

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:51:29 pm »
This particular NIF format is incompatible with the NIF importer/exporter built into MS3d.  HOWEVER there is one out there some where that will work. I am currently in a search for it.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:30 pm »
Oooh! Thanx! It's a real small model. Probably has less than a 200-300 polys, so it's probably an easy job? Just needs an angled flight deck for our purposes. I'll dig around too and see if there are any tools I can get my hands on to help ya'll.

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:55:22 pm »
GOOD NEWS!!!  found a proggie that lets me convert the NIF to OBJ  so I can work on it.  I'll see what I can do for ya

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:57 pm »
Oh awesome! That's great news! Thank you!

Other than an angled flight deck, can you lighten the contrast on the deck from it's current near black to something a bit more grey? That would help differentiate this 3D model from another carrier if they were also slightly different colors. That's about it!

For anyone who hasnt tried Making History, it's a little bit like Hearts of Iron, but less detailed unit wise, a bit like Axis and Allies the board game with a bit of risk thrown in, but with tons more depth and replayability and a whole lot of ww2 addictive gameplay. Very fun game.

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:10:31 pm »
to do any texture work I would need the original textures if you could post them it would help greatly

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:20:01 pm »
Hrmmm. I cant find the textures anywhere. Is it possible the textures are part of the NIF file?

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:53 pm »
If they are they are not showing up in the  nif viewer.

I'll do some research on nif files and see what I can find out.

how pressing is this project?

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:28:52 pm »
Ok, I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with as I have searched all the 3D folders and none of the models have any textures located there. Ive searched further and turned up nothing. My reply may take a day or two as I'll need to consult with the game designer. I have his direct line and will phone him Monday. Thx SO MUCH for the help so far, Antivyrus.

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:32:58 pm »
Textures for Nif files are in .dds format

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »
looking...

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 11:43:57 pm »
Diz  if you have MSN messanger you can contact me on it    toolmantim36@yahoo.com

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 11:45:52 pm »
Ok, I think I included a .kf file along with the 1st post in zip. U should have that, is that it? Other than that, there arnt any other files that I think it could be. Making history has no dds extensions. Just NIF and kf. I'll contact the designer and find out whats up.

Nope, no MSN. Going to bed. I have a Warbird flight tomorrow at Victoria Regional Airport. Gotta get some Zzzzzzz's.  I have Yahoo chat. I'm listed as dizzy_xc

I'll do some more searching tomorrow.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 08:50:32 am »
Ok, havent talked to the Developer yet, but this much is from Ian:

"I know about the textures issue -and I've been looking for a solution for a long time. I've just downloaded Gmax in another attempt to see if I can find the textureand edit them - with no luck.
You wont get the textures up in Blender or any other nif tool.
I've literally installed dozens of programs trying to find the solution -and then unistalled them.

The textures are in there. A friend's Father has Maya and I think we got some of the models up on screen with the textures on after downloading a plugin from sourceforge but we didnt know how to extract or repaint them.

Maya is generally not an option though as Maya Complete costs $7,500 U.S. dollars to $1,999 and Maya Unlimited costs $16,000 to $7,500.

There is a free educational version of Maya but - it doesn't allow the NIF plugin to be installed."

So apparently, the textures are in the NIF itself.

Offline Antivyrus

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 11:01:53 am »
Hey Diz

I am currently in the process of downloading the MH demo which will have all the files I would need get this ship modified for you.

I could go ahead and modiffy this carrier blindly but I doubt it would work in game properly. AS I have dial up and the demo is nearly 300 megs this may take a day or two. If I can manage to get this to work with this model it may open the whole game up to modded models and not just scenarios.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 11:14:05 am »
Well, hopefully you'll like the game and start playing it! lol. Yeah, Ian and I had talked about adding more units. His World Aflame mods take the game to new heights and having the ability to add in new units would just be spectacular. Alas, the thought that we'd be able to get there is a pipe dream for us, which is why we were holding hopes out for just a few small tweaks. But who knows where this may lead... At any rate, thanks for the help and the interest. Hopefully we can figure something out.  ;)

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:26:23 am »
do you have msn?

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 08:56:42 pm »
I have this NIF file 3D model of a Super Carrier for the game Making History. Can anyone edit this model and give it an angled flight deck like a Nimitz class carrier? Your work would help a new post-ww2 mod by Ian. I've attached it to this post in case any kind soul would help. Personally, I've never heard or seen a NIF file. Anyone know about em?

Diz

Converted to .3DS and .OBJ as it was... attaching .rar
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline LindsayLohan

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 11:36:55 pm »
Muzzylane is not answering their phones... taking a while trying to see if they have any tools to play with.