Topic: Return of the DeLorean?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Return of the DeLorean?
« on: July 29, 2007, 08:20:26 pm »
Link to full article

The last DeLorean rolled off the assembly line in Northern Ireland in 1982. But like Duran Duran, the Rubik's Cube and other Reagan-era icons, the car retains a following.

Of the 9,000 built in 1981 and 1982, about 6,500 are still on the road, according to James Espey, vice president of DeLorean Motor. Enthusiasts gather at clubs from Cleveland to Norway. An event next week at Universal Studios Hollywood theme park is expected to attract more than a hundred DeLoreans.

2/3s of them are still operational 25 years later?  I think I'm impressed.

Espey's company acquired the parts and engines that were left over after DeLorean's company went belly up; it also owns the trademarks and many of the engineering drawings.

Espey's 20-person operation handles a dozen or so rebuilds a year and has an eight-month waiting list. (Buying and restoring a used DeLorean will cost you about $25,000; they'll strip one to the frame and completely rebuild it for a base price of $42,500.)

At DeLorean Motor Co. (California) in Garden Grove, there are 15 cars in for service or refurbishing at any given time, Botkin says.

With 200 of the original 2.8-liter V-6 engines still in stock and facing a dwindling supply of cars suitable for rebuilding, Espey figures that within a year or so they'll start making the cars from scratch.

Their manufacturing plans are modest — maybe 20 or so cars a year. But it would be quite a comeback for a car that was given up for dead more than a quarter of a century ago.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: Return of the DeLorean?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:26:37 pm »
and here i had hoped that by the time Delorean came back in style we'd have Mr. Fusions available to power them.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:51:12 pm »
I saw one at a dealership in downtown San Diego this weekend. They wanted 6 grand for it. Only had 12,000 miles on it.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline kmelew

• "From the Place of the Hops-Growers"
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:49:04 pm »
My town used to have the North American distribution center for DeLorean.  You used to see about a hundred or so in the lot while driving on I-287.
"I'm Kmelew, and I approve this post."