Topic: Carbon paper - tougher than steel and as flexible as carbon fiber.  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Link to full article

Researchers have developed a remarkably simple way to convert ordinary graphite particles into very thin but superstrong sheets that are tougher than steel and as flexible as carbon fiber but can be made much more cheaply. The discovery could spawn entirely new types of materials for applications as diverse as protective coatings, electronic components, batteries, and fuel cells.

For tensile strength and stiffness, carbon is king. So it's no surprise that scientists have been working for years to develop ways to add Element 6 to composite materials for aircraft fuselages, military vehicles, and even racing bicycles and tennis rackets. Even bigger payoffs are possible by constructing carbon materials at microscopic scales, yielding the strongest materials of all.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: Carbon paper - tougher than steel and as flexible as carbon fiber.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »
Yea, but the sh*t is expensive as hell. That's the problem. It's only used in enviornments where lightness and strength are more important than cost -- and that's aircraft airframes.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:47:36 pm »
but can be made much more cheaply.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:30:40 pm »

But still more expensive than conventional building material =)

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:49:22 pm »

But still more expensive than conventional building material =)
They mean cheaper than nanotubes.

And the article states "tougher than steel", which is wrong.
"Toughness" in the material world is the measure of resistance to crack propagation. Carbon in any form is not tougher than a material that can accomodate dislocation motion, like metals.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)