Topic: Endeavour Story #9  (Read 14857 times)

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: Endeavour Story #9
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 08:41:02 am »
I just had to keep scrolling and reading guv, even though i'm at work with a bug on my name. Speaking of which, gotta go but let me say you did great!
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 09:04:02 pm »
Ahhh! Exxxxcellent. I lure people to wasting company time to read Trek!

Good...goood! (in the voice of the Emporer...)

I'm glad you enjoy!

Lemme know when y'all are done so I can post the next...

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 02:07:22 pm »
Hi Guv, managed to finally finish this.

Two bad things and I'll say them first to get them out the way:

1) You seem to think that light-minutes are horribly vast. Surall reports her sensors have been tricked:

Distance two light minutes, no more!

Then,

“Keptin, the first Ya’venn wessels are emerging from the field. Distance ten billion kilometers. Closing fast.”

Just so as you know, one light minute is approx. 18 million kilometres.  ;)

10 (American) billion (a thousand million) kilometres is approx. 9.25 lighthours:D
10 (British) billion (a million million) kilometres is approx. 1 light year, 20 light days, 19 light hours, 15 light minutes.  ;D

2)
Detonations shown brightly,

You used this a couple of times. The word you're looking for is "shone".

Now, onto the actual story istelf.

Holy f*ck! Talk about a surprise ending!

“So we get to be the first one’s to lose an Excelsior?”

Ouchie... not really something you'd want to be remembered for! I'm still in vague shock that you actually did this. Not only the ship, but the lead character too. I saw Ford assessing Thomas and seeming to think he was growing a bit in command abilities, but... holy crap!

The battle was very well written. I wasn't keen on seeing how easily a Constitution went down, but with an Excelsior getting beaten up by the barbarians' (if only due to weight of numbers and retrofitted modern weapons) it was properly done. Your tactics seemed pretty well thought out and the descriptions of the ships in their formations, under fire, in the plasma storm were painting brilliant pictures in my head.

Thomas having to be nerve pinched was expected, but actually being nerve pinched was amusing and not-so-expected. His diatribe in the shuttle was well contained and believable in how he couldn't turn them around.

Best part of the story for me, though, was Thomas showing some of his more noble qualities.  After so many where his key failing was at the forefront, it was nice to see just how loyal the man can be.

Ya, not so much. I'm all about saving my best friend and all, but there's loyal, and there's stupid. Heedlessly demanding a return and jeopardising a whole shuttle's worth of crew against his CO and friend's very obvious orders and wishes just strikes me as boneheaded. Simpsons Homeresque Heroic. If he'd been allowed to commandeer the shuttle and go back, I'd have hoped Spock or Surall (if aboard) would have double pinched him to stop him being that stupid. "Damn everyone else and I'm going back", quite likely just so he can die by Ford's side.

The camaraderie scene at the end was a nice touch. Keller seems like a barren person, and blaming Starfleet for his loss--while a very Human thing to do--is wrong and dangerous. If she's going to run away, she can't realise that running away never solved anything, just delayed the reckoning. That's who her character is (I'm assuming), and you wrote it well. I can just see bad things in Keller's future with her thinking that way.

Spock's final scene. I have some of Larry's "God complex" for the TOS characters, so I'm not sure about how his soul-searching actually goes. However, having that complex, you seem to be ahead of the game in that I don't automatically hate it. ;)

All in all, quite the awesome tale. Quite the shocking ending. I can't wait to see what happens next... if there is a next.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2007, 08:54:07 pm »

A very nice comment indeed. Glad you liked the story.

A lot of nitpicks worked in there, but from you, very much expected. At least no REAL quibbles about grammar...

As to the subject of light minutes: Never really researched it. If I edit the story again, I'll just use different measurements, such as AUs. No big deal.

About the Yorktown getting beat down 'easily'... Ever count how many torpedo impacts it took to bring 1701-A's shields down in STVI?

About 13...that's it. And most weren't even along the same shield arc. Yortown, old as she was, took a beating in this story, my friend. And given that in TMP time, a single photon irreparibly wrecks a nacelle (STII)... She did pretty damn well.

You continually mention character 'flaws' with Thomas. I mostly think it due to your dislike for the character, and therefor not liking anything he will ever do (much like my angst against my x-wife). He is incredibly loyal, and his friendship for Ford led him to believe he could do SOMETHING to save Ford... If your idea's on loyalty approach that of your comment above...I hope I never find my life in your hands...  You made an accurate point, however. There was nothing he could do. And that's where Spock's words of wisdom came in. I hope you at least like how Thomas is used, if not the man himself...

No, Andrea Keller's thoughts immediately after the loss of Endeavour and Ford will not overtly plague her into the future. Her thoughts were indeed post-ordeal, not so far removed from the actual incident. The emotions of loss, grief and anger were very fresh. Like all of us after any event approaching this example of severity, her thoughts were decidedly more dark than normal. After some removal and healing, her mind will adjust to the ordeal. It will affect her future decisions, but not so severely as you seem to be thinking. But then, this might count as a spoiler, so I'll not elaborate further.

And about the examples of 10 billion KM...what the f*ck is wrong with the British metric system? What's in between your version of 100 million and 1 billion? I'm glad I don't have to drive place to place looking at British signage...   ;D

Now that I've apltly ruffled yer fur the wrong way, thank you for the kind words about the main jist of the story. Just don't jump to too many conclusions before reading on. The evolution of my tale is in the continuing of the series... if that made any damn sense...I'm reading it over now and thinking...that sounded better in my head...

Alrighty... BTW...I thought the Shone/Shown difference was as you said...my spell checker argues with me over it... Oh well. Machine is only as good as the ignoramous programming it...

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 08:55:39 am »
Glad you liked the comment, Guv.

About the Yorktown getting beat down 'easily'... Ever count how many torpedo impacts it took to bring 1701-A's shields down in STVI?

Ya, but Scotty yells out "She's packing quite a wollop! Shields collapsing!" Chang's ship was a prototype. One torpedo from his ship was enough to pitch the Excelsior about too, if you remember.

You continually mention character 'flaws' with Thomas. I mostly think it due to your dislike for the character, and therefor not liking anything he will ever do (much like my angst against my x-wife).

I think that is a very good point. I like to give everyone a fair shake (even fictional characters), but whenever Thomas shows his... I don't know what to call it. "Redneck", maybe?  ;D Anyway, whenever Thomas gets all "You'll do it Chevy's way or your a F*CKIN moron!", it ruffles my feathers. I don't mind him most of the time.

He is incredibly loyal, and his friendship for Ford led him to believe he could do SOMETHING to save Ford...

Responsibilities should triumph over blind, raw, "I gotta do SOMETHING 'cause it hurts too much to accept I can't do anything!" That's why people like this in the movies are always restrained before they do something glorious, but futile, for the about-to-die hero. As did you here.

If your idea's on loyalty approach that of your comment above...I hope I never find my life in your hands...

Ouchie. Mind you, I'd never make a good Starfleet officer without some serious personality/backbone buidling. :D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 09:13:07 am »
I think it's important to remember that Thomas was reacting to a very extreme situation, and that no one can be expected to maintain full rationality, all the time, in such situations.  Emotions are powerful things...even for Vulcans, Surak and Spock often acted illogically where the other was concerned...and in a time and place when passions are being acted upon, people do, or want to do, foolhardy things.

Ya' don't see much of this on Star Trek though.  At least not lately.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 08:55:21 pm »
Glad you liked the comment, Guv.

Ya, but Scotty yells out "She's packing quite a wollop! Shields collapsing!" Chang's ship was a prototype. One torpedo from his ship was enough to pitch the Excelsior about too, if you remember.

Quite so. I don't believe, after seeing the 'wallop' packed by the Mark VI photorp in STII, that Chang's torps were anything special. After all, if his torps were specifically designed to go with that ship, the weapon masters known as Klingons would have built a torpedo whos exhaust wouldn't give the ship away...

If it makes you feel better about how much a beating Yorktown took, remember that I did say Jarn had aquired my new world's 'ADCAP' (ADvanced CAPacity) torpedoes. The beating she took is well within bounds. After all...we're talking about a show/movie series that continually shows that a ship can and may be destroyed by a single shot... (IE: The freighter in STIII, USS Grissom, the BoP in Generations, and numerous ships cheaply blown to smithereens in TNG/VOY...though surprisingly...not one example in ENT...)

About Thomas once again...also mind you that his reactions aboard the shuttle were post-waking up from a nerve pinch. Having passed out on various occasions...you don't think straight during said times. I always make 0 sense after such occurances. Ask La'ra...I'm f*ckin' bonkers. Thomas, on the other hand...was clear enough in mind to see through the cloud of such an instance to actually WANT to continue helping his friend. I didn't present such in a clear manner, I realize, and may yet include such detail at a later date. Right now...I'm pretty happy with #9. But you've given me ideas on thoughts to avoid in later stories. I don't want Thomas to come off as a simpleton.

BTW, loved the ouchie remark you made in answer. Gave me mad chuckles. One day, I really must meet you... And hopefully said meeting will not involve harrowing circumstance...

--thu guv!

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 06:47:51 pm »
Great stuff. I'm catching up on Endeavour out of order and I hope the moderate gravedigs aren't offensive. After having read #10 and then catching this one, I especially like that nothing was given away about the later fate of Chevy. For all intents and purposes, the story of Chevis Ford could have ended there and it would have been time to move on to another CO.

The reaction of Andrea is very believable for a person who, prior to her relationship with Ford, was VERY reserved and never let anyone too close. Very real.

Spock's final scene rings exceptionally true to me, a long time original series fan and reader of books like Diane Duane's Spock's world. It simply fits the Spock I know from all the literature and on-screen appearances.

Earlier in the story, I almost expected to see Spock having something like this short speech: "Commander, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Commodore Ford understands this, and that is why he has made the choice he has. Do not throw away your life, one of the lives he is trying to save, in a vain attempt to rescue him, or, more foolishly, die with him. If you will honor his sacrifice, live long and prosper."
This would probably have been met with a curse from Commander Thomas, from what I have come to understand of him.

In any case excellent work. A number of spelling errors or homonym issues that I really haven't the energy to go over, none of which lessen the impact of the story, despite knowing Ford eventually got back.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 08:32:01 pm »
Ambassador Spock, quite wisely having read Commander Thomas' bio before boarding Endeavour, knew quite well that such a speech would have gotten him killed. If not then, later.

--thu guv

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 01:14:06 am »
I should have said, would have been met with at least a curse from Ben. In any case, my statement remains. You wrote Spock well. He rings true to the character as I know him.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:47 pm »
*bows*

--guv