Topic: Federation Commander  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: Federation Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 02:16:05 am »
Well, tried some fleet action last night...WOW.  I thought Plasma's were powerful in SFB...they will ANNHILATE YOU ALMOST INSTANTLY in Fleet Action in Federation Commander.  Rule of thumb, NEVER, EVER, EVER get within 5 hexes of a Rom with fully loaded Plasmas.

We had three players, a Fed, a Klink, and me.  I cloaked and went slow staying out of the first portion, where the Fed and Klink basically fought...Klink got wasted in the second turn and the Fed turned towards me.  I managed to get my plasma's loaded, and he ran with his back towards me firing an occasional drone, which I vaporized.

However, he then made the fatal mistake of slowing so he could repair some shields, and I put all power except that in my Plasmas to catching him.  Got within 4 hexes, Unleashed heck.

He shot back and hit me with a drone, but even with his rear shield Fully ready it wasn't enough to stop a plasma-R and two Plasma-F's.

I did almost two times the amount of damage his ship could take in Impulse 2, and he was done.  That was it.  Fatal Plasma instant death.

I think next time he's not going to slow for 43ll or High water.

He figured he could take at least one hit and survive it whilst trading blows with me, do a HET and hit me with overloaded photons...but no luck for him.

Plasma's are the BOMB in FC!
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 06:19:17 am »
plasma's are the bomb in SFB, and FC.  But just not in SFC.

The faster simpler system of FC probably made the plasma more effective.  how long did the match take?  Time wise
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:28 am »

Which is why most people on GSA fly plasma.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 06:40:12 am »

Plasmas are still good in SFC, they are still right at the top for crunch power but they are not what they should be.  When I can pump an R into a frigate or freighter and it still is functional.  It just isn't right.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 11:33:30 am »
Well, if we interpreted the rules correctly, it makes ALL weapons two times as powerful...ships are half as powerful with shields, power, and everything else...BUT weapon damage...is still the same.

So double the damage the Plasma normally does to get the same effect.  It didn't quite hit us that it did this...until I utilized it to it's fullest extent.

We were all familiar with SFB to some degree, so probably should take that into account, but for us the match lasted around 38 minutes. 

For the Klingon player...around 10...  :)
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 01:04:45 pm »
well, it is alot faster.  Which is what it was designed to do.  I figure it probably would have been a three hour match in SFB.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:57 pm »

Plasmas are still good in SFC, they are still right at the top for crunch power but they are not what they should be.  When I can pump an R into a frigate or freighter and it still is functional.  It just isn't right.

It would definitely be cool to have ships blow up in single volleys, like they did on the shows. It is anti-climactic to continue shooting at a dead pile of scrap before it blows up, but I can see why they chose to make SFC like that.

On a recent frigate match, I flew a WB+ with two wings, against 3 Feds (Knightstorm in the FFL+, two others in FFG). For much of the battle, I couldn't land a hit or even get close, but after a while, the two enemy FFG got too close, didn't listen to Knight's warning and got hit by R-plasma. While it isn't enough to blow up a frigate, it was enough to keep one from escaping and repairing. It is kind of like a the frigate-equivalent of a mauler.

I think plasma are so common in GSA because of lots of reasons - the crunch, the use of ease compared to things like disruptors, and that they don't need to be fired all at once to be effective. And since the best way to defend from plasma is to run from it, that means the plasma-pilot can play the offensive side of things, less stressful I guess.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:43:01 pm by Roychipoqua_Mace »

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 10:01:27 pm »

It would definitely be cool to have ships blow up in single volleys, like they did on the shows. It is anti-climactic to continue shooting at a dead pile of scrap before it blows up, but I can see why they chose to make SFC like that.

On a recent frigate match, I flew a WB+ with two wings, against 3 Feds (Knightstorm in the FFL+, two others in FFG). For much of the battle, I couldn't land a hit or even get close, but after a while, the two enemy FFG got too close, didn't listen to Knight's warning and got hit by R-plasma. While it isn't enough to blow up a frigate, it was enough to keep one from escaping and repairing. It is kind of like a the frigate-equivalent of a mauler.

I think plasma are so common in GSA because of lots of reasons - the crunch, the use of ease compared to things like disruptors, and that they don't need to be fired all at once to be effective. And since the best way to defend from plasma is to run from it, that means the plasma-pilot can play the offensive side of things, less stressful I guess.

If we had been using teamspeak that match, I definitely would have been channeling DH.  Watching them stay in that useless slugfest while Roy crept up on them was really painful.  Especially when one of them lost about 90% hull integrity.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:15:39 pm by knightstorm »

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

Corbomite put is best, when you fly plasma you don't have to depend on luck.  he's right.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .