Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Re: SFC3 - RIP
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:41 pm »
Listen up...

I've been trying to email Activision now for the past year and a couple months regarding the SFC3 directory servers, and have gotten no reply.

In regards to the lawsuit, please... if you don't understand the legality of the issue then don't go off spouting lawsuit everytime something happens you don't like. Did you actually READ the EULA that you accepted when you installed the game?

Activision has the right to pull the plug on supporting the game whenever they wanted, that's in the EULA. If you really want to show the developers and game production companies what you will with a frivolous "class-action" lawsuit, then be my guest.

Activision actually could have dumped the SFC3 directory services over a year ago after their "settlement" with Paramount over the ST francise issue and their SFC3 contract. That they had them up this long is a wonderful thing, but it's done and no class-action lawsuit will bring them back.

Have any of you beta-tested with Activision? Do you guys have any experience in the legal arena ? Have you hosted the Official Site of the SFC series of games for over 4 years? If this comes off a little heavy handed, please don't take it  as such, I just get really upset when people who have no understand of the actual reality of the situation start tooting the "let's sue" horn.

And believe me, if I thought anyone had a chance in hell of "winning", I'd be the first person to file the lawsuit. Point is, they chose to close 'em down, and screaming and yelling and  pouring thousands of dollars into attorney fees will do nothing to resolve it. You do realize that, don't you? THOUSANDS of dollars, no attorney's going to be willing to even think about a case like this without a upfront retainer, and if you've even consulted with one, you wouldn't be posting this.

If someone actually does get a response from Activision in regards to this, let me know. I'm sure D.Net's reputation as well as our track record would be the best fit for the SFC3 directory servers... as I've felt from the beginning.

Unfortunately, I just think Activision doesn't care... and if they don't care, well, 'nuff said.

Regards,

Frey
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 03:06:10 pm »
I had suggested long long ago that the community should have banded together and filed a class action lawsuit against Activision for knowingly and willingly selling defective product and never living up to its obligation of supporting the game properly and releasing game patches.  Don't know if any such action is viable now.  Doubt it.

This entire issue was due to Activision filing suit against Paramount, effectively Activision released it's ST francise rights and as such could not legally release a patch, nor do anything else for the game.

Bottom line is, if you want to have a real understanding of the issues, research it and find out. Talking on speculation and conjecture just starts up rumors that do nothing but create more negativity.

If anyone needs any specific information, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Frey
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 03:08:59 pm »
well ill say this much they should give the server. I would try to appraoch them peacefully. I will tell you this much if they dont give the server I will never buy another activision game. Its absolutely rediculios if they dont. MAny many games jsut about everyone I can think of when the company did not want to support it anymore they gave the software to be used as a server to someone to allow its continued support. Its a common practice to keep there name looking clean. Heck alot of companies now on there real old games have been known to even give up the source code. well I will be keeping in touch here.

Name those games, I'd really like to know some examples of other software development companies that released online capable games, then when they shut down their support for them released the code / services modules to allow someone else to continue to run it.

Regards,

Frey
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 03:17:37 pm »
Listen up...

I've been trying to email Activision now for the past year and a couple months regarding the SFC3 directory servers, and have gotten no reply.

In regards to the lawsuit, please... if you don't understand the legality of the issue then don't go off spouting lawsuit everytime something happens you don't like. Did you actually READ the EULA that you accepted when you installed the game?

Activision has the right to pull the plug on supporting the game whenever they wanted, that's in the EULA. If you really want to show the developers and game production companies what you will with a frivolous "class-action" lawsuit, then be my guest.

Activision actually could have dumped the SFC3 directory services over a year ago after their "settlement" with Paramount over the ST francise issue and their SFC3 contract. That they had them up this long is a wonderful thing, but it's done and no class-action lawsuit will bring them back.

Have any of you beta-tested with Activision? Do you guys have any experience in the legal arena ? Have you hosted the Official Site of the SFC series of games for over 4 years? If this comes off a little heavy handed, please don't take it  as such, I just get really upset when people who have no understand of the actual reality of the situation start tooting the "let's sue" horn.

And believe me, if I thought anyone had a chance in hell of "winning", I'd be the first person to file the lawsuit. Point is, they chose to close 'em down, and screaming and yelling and  pouring thousands of dollars into attorney fees will do nothing to resolve it. You do realize that, don't you? THOUSANDS of dollars, no attorney's going to be willing to even think about a case like this without a upfront retainer, and if you've even consulted with one, you wouldn't be posting this.

If someone actually does get a response from Activision in regards to this, let me know. I'm sure D.Net's reputation as well as our track record would be the best fit for the SFC3 directory servers... as I've felt from the beginning.

Unfortunately, I just think Activision doesn't care... and if they don't care, well, 'nuff said.

Regards,

Frey

YUP!

You are right on the money bud !  (no pun intended)  That was why I made the statements that I did.  Add to that ...  when you are talking about someone the size of Activision  they have some VERY deep pockets .. and the legal resources that you and I could only dream of.  After all ...   they just about have to have it in order to survive in todays business world.

Also:  please note this is not a rant of any sort.  Simply a mere review of the facts.  Some times those facts (though unpleasant as they may be ...  ) are cold and hard.
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »
One other thing:

Think about if a bunch of individuals go emailing Activision support regarding lawsuits - what's really going to happen?

I'll tell you :

1.) Activision support will begin to forward all the issues regarding SFC3 to the Activision Legal Department.

2.) Any chance that anyone with a established record for running such, or without such a record, would go into the crapper as Activision would not even THINK about releasing the dir. services for SFC3 to a third party with any "pending" legal issues.

Reacting to a situation like this does nothing but ruin those individuals chances of trying to get things done.

That said, be aware that we are ACTIVELY working on seeing if we can't release a patch for the serverkit and client side config files, and adapt the EAW / OP directory services to be used for SFC3.

D.Net is the Official Site for the ENTIRE series of SFC - including SFC3. We'll do everything we can to support the SFC3 community.

Regards,

Frey
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline zephar123

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 05:21:20 pm »
well ill say this much they should give the server. I would try to appraoch them peacefully. I will tell you this much if they dont give the server I will never buy another activision game. Its absolutely rediculios if they dont. MAny many games jsut about everyone I can think of when the company did not want to support it anymore they gave the software to be used as a server to someone to allow its continued support. Its a common practice to keep there name looking clean. Heck alot of companies now on there real old games have been known to even give up the source code. well I will be keeping in touch here.

Name those games, I'd really like to know some examples of other software development companies that released online capable games, then when they shut down their support for them released the code / services modules to allow someone else to continue to run it.

Regards,

Frey

Well ill names a couple off toip of my head theres alot out there.

Cand c all of there games except the latest one. ( for obvios reasons)

Masters of Orion EA infact all EA games ive ever played they have continued support. there many many many more examples a good one would be star control which reminds of this. its open source for all to mod.

Bottom line is you dont want to goto them threating law suit you will get no where. Most game companies are reasonable about these request because they know it makes them look better for newer realeases.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 05:23:31 pm »
One other thing:

Think about if a bunch of individuals go emailing Activision support regarding lawsuits - what's really going to happen?

I'll tell you :

1.) Activision support will begin to forward all the issues regarding SFC3 to the Activision Legal Department.

2.) Any chance that anyone with a established record for running such, or without such a record, would go into the crapper as Activision would not even THINK about releasing the dir. services for SFC3 to a third party with any "pending" legal issues.

Reacting to a situation like this does nothing but ruin those individuals chances of trying to get things done.

That said, be aware that we are ACTIVELY working on seeing if we can't release a patch for the serverkit and client side config files, and adapt the EAW / OP directory services to be used for SFC3.

D.Net is the Official Site for the ENTIRE series of SFC - including SFC3. We'll do everything we can to support the SFC3 community.

Regards,

Frey

Again ...  correct

It is always best to approach the issue with :  "what (if anything) can we do to HELP" .  Approaching from a stand point of appreciation of the game and an on-going desire to support and be a part of the solution as opposed to breathing threats of anger and impending litigation over such matters will (hopefully) come closer to resolving the issue.

BTW...   good luck with your efforts!

If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 05:56:10 pm »
Regardless no matter what Activision will not nor will ever release server kit information so Dynaverse for sfc3 is dead indefinately. Personally I feel reverse engineering is at hand but that is just my opinion. I think its sad that activision treats the gaming community who supports them in this way. all they want is the quick profit and move on screw the puplic if they are stupid enough to buy our products then oh well thier loss we made our buck. Sorry just upset.

Offline Macgyver

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 09:43:14 pm »
Battlezone 2 is another awesome game that Activision had pushed out the door before it was ready, then within 1 year dropped support. Fortunatly Pandemic went with Gamespy exclusevly, so BZ2 is not reliant on acti. So I am not surprised. They do this to all of the good games. We need to get this server pack or something! I hate that we spend money on something, and think we own it, then it can be taken away without warning. Its no different than stealing. Take that to the courts!

Offline [ISC]Phaser

• Fleet Admiral
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • "Fire in the Bowl"
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:05 am »

Regards,

Frey

Here's one scroll down a little and i believe support is discontiued (not 100% sure tho) http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/ also have any of you thought of modding Unreal 2004 to be a starfleet command type game? I have and it is possible to do with the right team,you can battle in space fly to a shipyard get new ship types or fly "into" a starbase and get new ships create any weapon,sounds,UI's ect  and even beam down to the planet and do away missions such as seaching for things and such or just continue fighting on the ground,and in the end you can have a DEDICATED server ta boot.Did i mention that the tools to create this little gem come with the game! I would be willing to help code and create this if there were any interest.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:07:45 am by [ISC]Phaser »

Offline zephar123

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 11:18:58 pm »
soudns like a fun idea let me know if need some help ill see what I can do.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 12:48:34 am »
D.Net has obtained the Directory Servers for SFC3.

We're working on getting a patch done for the client side, as well as the serverkit once we've confirmed everythings working on our server-end.

See this post: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163376756.0.html

:)

Regards,

Frey

P.S. Thanks to those who helped pull this off, you know who you are.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:04:15 am by FA_Frey_XC »
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 01:08:05 am »
 8)