Topic: Microsoft WGA servers down - till TUESDAY?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Microsoft WGA servers down - till TUESDAY?
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:48:11 pm »
Link to discussion on Microsoft forums

After several email excahnges with Microsoft on validation problems, I just received this:

Thank you for your response.

I’m sorry to inform you that the Windows Genuine server might be down for few days. I have escalate the issue to our Genuine team, kindly try to validate again on Tuesday 28 Aug 2007.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Technical Support.

Just to clarify the quote above is not of my own words the "I" in it refers to the author not to me.

So if your Windows XP or Vista is claiming to be pirated you will have to wait until Microsoft can get these mission critical servers back up.    Meanwhile don't reboot your XP or Vista machines just to be on the safe side.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: Microsoft WGA servers down - till TUESDAY?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:55:21 pm »
Umm...actually, the safe bet would be to NOT install any patches or updates from the windowsupdate website until the WGA servers are online.

Should be perfectly safe to reboot all you like.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:26 pm »
Rebooting may trigger a validation attempt as I understand things.  This may make for an interesting Monday morning for businesses.  Not for me I'm on vacation and don't use XP or Vista.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:28:50 pm »
As I understand it things are working again but I have not seen an explanation from Microsoft of why it happened.

Now imagine your a small business and this takes out your whole system as you boot up in the morning.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 09:59:30 pm »
Rebooting may trigger a validation attempt as I understand things.  This may make for an interesting Monday morning for businesses.  Not for me I'm on vacation and don't use XP or Vista.

well it didn't for me...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:07:18 am »
I said "may" because those discussing the issue on the Microsoft included those who rebooted and were affected and others who rebooted without being affected.

What happens to Windows users if something happens to the existing WGA server installation that is more or less permanent?  It could be anything, fire, earthquake or terrorist attack to name 3.  What happens to the economy if that were to happen?  Does Microsoft have multiple non local backup systems in place to start up immediately (in which case where were they in this instance?)?  If they don't have such backups why the heck not?  A single point of failure is not acceptable.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:21:20 pm »
Link to full article

Microsoft Corp. said late yesterday that last weekend's failure of the antipiracy process it requires of Windows XP and Vista was due to "human error" and shouldn't be called an "outage" since the servers didn't go off-line. The company also promised that changes have been made to avoid a repeat.

The servers weren't serving regardless of the reason, to me that makes it an outage.