Topic: New actor to play teen kirk  (Read 3248 times)

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
New actor to play teen kirk
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:25:42 pm »
In a few scenes of the new trek movie.

;D
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: New actor to play teen kirk
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:57:52 pm »
Hey... it COULD happen guys!

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 12:00:03 am »
In a few scenes of the new trek movie.

;D

Why would they cast Kirk as some sort of dikey lesbian?  Kirk as a woman??  I mean, it's one thing to do that to Starbuck but Kirk??!!!  Whatever!!!

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 12:04:00 am »
Sorry but dikey lesbians do not have a manly jaw such as myself.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 12:15:28 am »
That may be true, but whoever that person above doesn't have a manly jaw, looks like a rather dikey lesbian to me... ;D
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 01:05:13 am »

It could fly!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:00:43 am »
Gary Oldman spent 3 months with Jonathan Harris so that he learn to play Jonathan Harris playing Doctor Smith, in the Lost In Space Movie.

Will the teen Kirk hang out with William Shatner to pick up all the ham acting techniques, from the master himslef, such as the over emphasied arm and hand clenching movements, plus facial expressions, poses, etc.,  duirng dramtic speeches?? :D

The teen Kirk would need to have some of the character's traits to be plausible.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:24:43 am »
Gary Oldman spent 3 months with Jonathan Harris so that he learn to play Jonathan Harris playing Doctor Smith, in the Lost In Space Movie.

Will the teen Kirk hang out with William Shatner to pick up all the ham acting techniques, from the master himslef, such as the over emphasied arm and hand clenching movements, plus facial expressions, poses, etc.,  duirng dramtic speeches?? :D

The teen Kirk would need to have some of the character's traits to be plausible.

Have to disagree, teen Kirk and Captain Kirk would share little in common. Few people in their mid 30's look and act the same as they did at 16. Reminds me of the TNG episode where Picard dies and get's sent back to the academy by Q. Captain Picard and Cadet Picard had nothing in common.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:05:45 am »
Basic character traits are embeeded in people from an early age.

Take the famous quote, "Bring me a boy aged 7 and I'll show you the man he'll be!!"

Children who are bullies at 7 grow into adults who have learnt that violence and temper tantrums will profit them usually.

By a teenager, we are already very much programmed into the characters we will be in adult life.

Good kids will always end up as good aduklts and bad kids will always end up as bad adults. It is the way things have always been.

The core personality of a person is already in place by teenage years and very little can be done to modify it.

A person with honesty and integrity will always be that way and vice versa.

I know a lot of people who are basically the same as they were as kids and teenagers. The core essence of their personality still shows. Even marriage fails to break or surpress it.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:20:44 pm »
True enough perhaps for an average person, but that isn't including personal tragedy. I seventeen year old who watches his/her family get murdered is not going to be the same after that. Even in general there's a huge difference between a child, a teenager, a middle aged adult and an elderly adult. A man at sixty is not the same man he was at thirty nor at fifteen.

In ST:V when offered the chance to have all his past mental anguish taken away by Sybok, Kirk said something to the effect of "I need my pain, it makes me who I am." Without witnessing the massacre mentioned in "The Conscience of the King", choosing duty over friendship as mentioned in "Court Martial", being forced to let Edith Keeler die to fix the timeline and all the things unmentioned Jim Kirk would not be Jim Kirk. Even the way he talks, his body language and personal "ticks" were probably adopted during his career.

Some "core" elements of Kirk's personality are his willingness to cheat to win, break the rules for the greater good, sacrifice himself for others, never say die attitude, drive to be the best and let's not forget the lady killer aspect. A teenage Kirk was likely a smooth talking, competitive, cocky kid with an eye for the girls and a penchant for getting himself in trouble. No need to even meet Shatner to pull that off, just grab the guy who played Ryan on the OC tell him to drop the brooding routine and slap a uniform on him, casting problem solved.

Just my opinion mind you, I'm probably way off. Wasn't Kirk described in one episode as being a "bookworm/stick in the mud" at the academy? What changes a bookworm into a galaxy saving, brawling, dashing, ladies-man of a starship captain?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 12:32:01 pm by Vipre »
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 04:40:26 pm »
Same as any military academy.

He graduates.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 09:03:49 pm »
He witnessed the massacre as a teenager and so perhaps it happened during a surmester from the academy. This would have deeply affected him.

Out of interest, they'll have to cast someone to play his tormentor at the academy, Finnegan, who Kirk always dreams of beating in a fight as he could never beat the guy in reality. It was Finnegan who described Cadet Kirk as a "stick in the mud bookworm", actually.

Don't forgetalso, that Lt. Kirk survived the attack on NCC 1702 Farragut by the Vampire Cloud, which killed more than half of the crew of 428, including his mentor, the ship's Captain. Kirk states that it was this man that sponsored him into the academy and was his role model. He was still hurt by his death in the "Obsession" episode and was determined to avenge him. He also blamed himself for hesitaiting for a second before firing the Faragut's Phasers at the Vampire Cloud, which later turns out, would have been ineffective anyway.

So Kirk is a guilt ridden, traumatised, uptight and driven individual by the time he takes command of the Enterprise in 2266. It would explain some fo the postures during dramtic speeches, occasional bursts of anger when he snaps at McCoy, Scotty, Spock or someone, when his self control regime slips for a moment.

So will the young Kirk explore some of the major mind damaging and personality twisting events that led to the person that took command of the Enterprise in 2266??

I do hope so!!

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 02:39:16 am »
He witnessed the massacre as a teenager and so perhaps it happened during a semester from the academy. This would have deeply affected him.

Out of interest, they'll have to cast someone to play his tormentor at the academy, Finnegan, who Kirk always dreams of beating in a fight as he could never beat the guy in reality. It was Finnegan who described Cadet Kirk as a "stick in the mud bookworm", actually.

Don't forgetalso, that Lt. Kirk survived the attack on NCC 1702 Farragut by the Vampire Cloud, which killed more than half of the crew of 428, including his mentor, the ship's Captain. Kirk states that it was this man that sponsored him into the academy and was his role model. He was still hurt by his death in the "Obsession" episode and was determined to avenge him. He also blamed himself for hesitating for a second before firing the Faragut's Phasers at the Vampire Cloud, which later turns out, would have been ineffective anyway.

So Kirk is a guilt ridden, traumatised, uptight and driven individual by the time he takes command of the Enterprise in 2266. It would explain some of the postures during dramtic speeches, occasional bursts of anger when he snaps at McCoy, Scotty, Spock or someone, when his self control regime slips for a moment.

So will the young Kirk explore some of the major mind damaging and personality twisting events that led to the person that took command of the Enterprise in 2266??

I do hope so!!

I had forgotten about the vampire cloud. That alone is reason enough why there's no point in a teen Kirk actor speaking with Shatner. Kirk's traumas changed and affected him on a profound level and I doubt even he could relate to his teen self. Spock on the other hand was shaped by his status as an outcast and his constant fight between his human and vulcan halves. I doubt anyone but Nimoy could give pointers on a young Spock.

The real question is how far back is the film set. Zachary Quinto is thirty, which if they fudge it and he plays a twenty to twenty-eight year old Spock and they stick to canon would put Kirk at seventeen to twenty-five. The massacre happened when Kirk was thirteen, and the Farragut incident happened at twenty five.

A good plot by the Romulans would be finding a way to have Kirk included in the casualties from the Farragut. If the entire crew had died instead of just the two-hundred that would ripple across time trashing everything after the 2260's
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 05:06:38 pm »
Kirk was also a serving cadet on Captain Garth's NCC 1371 Republic and played a role in the Azar incident. Kirk has a medal for his actions during this event, mentioned in "Court Marshal".

In "Whow the gods Destroy", Kirk visits Garth in the secure metal facility.

Kirk is a person who tend to be unlucky in life, alway in th wrong place at the wrong time, and so relies on his skills, experiences and initiative to survive. He s a natural survivor. His life is full of tradegy, with first his parents and later his brother plus his sister-in-law dying in his presence. Kirk has family tradegy in his lifeboth before and later in TOS.

Kirk's older brother Samuel would have witnessed the same masacre as Kirk, though, being older, it probally affected him ina different way. If I remember right, Kirk is raised by his older brother until he enters the academy. This probally explains his grief when Sam dies in "Operation Anialate". He remarks that Sam adn his family came to wave him off when he embarked on his 5 year mission.

They'll have to cast someone to bit part as Kirk's brother Sam, as he is a big part of Kirk's early life.

Will they make a balls up of the film in the same way they ballsed up ENT with the transporter contradiction, phaser contradiction, Klingon contradiction, etc.

If they study TOS carefully, they should be able to piece together the clues as to what the young Kirk was like.