Topic: Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:49:29 am »
Link to full article

In the coming days, we’ll be deploying a new update for Windows Activation Technologies, the set of built-in activation and validation components built into Windows 7. Called Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7, this update will detect more than 70 known and potentially dangerous activation exploits. Activation exploits are sometimes called “hacks”, and attempt to bypass or compromise Windows’ activation technologies. This new update is further evidence of Microsoft’s commitment to keeping customers and partners secure. The update will determine whether Windows 7 installed on a PC is genuine and will better protect customers’ PCs by making sure that the integrity of key licensing components remains intact.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:00:23 am »
Why doesn't Linux doesn't need that for security?   :flame:

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:55:53 am »
Why doesn't Linux doesn't need that for security?   :flame:

Linux does not have a paying customer base to offend.  There's nothing like not being able to use your computer for a couple of days, because you can't read the microscopic print on the MS "Certificate of Authenticity" plastered to the side of your computer.  There are two sure ways to avoid this problem:  Never allow your computer to update, or never use a MS OS.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:38 pm »
Linux does not have a paying customer base to offend.

Considering that both Redhat and Mandriva make a profit I'd say you are wrong.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:15 pm »

Considering that both Redhat and Mandriva make a profit I'd say you are wrong.

Redhat and Mandriva charge to service Linux, but they do not own Linux.  Nobody owns Linux.  Still, the big computer manufacturers produce so many Windows machines that they sell them at a price that noone making an open source machine can touch.  Dell sells Windows laptops starting at $400.00, but the only Linux machine they have is over $700.00.  This is what really blows my mind about "Windows Activation Technology."  A Windows machine costs a lot less less than a machine with a "free" OS, but Windows jealously protects their OS with software that can really cause their customers serious trouble.  Microsoft's attitude is enough to drive customers to spend a lot more for alternative products.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:17 pm »
Link to full article

In the coming days, we’ll be deploying a new update for Windows Activation Technologies, the set of built-in activation and validation components built into Windows 7. Called Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7, this update will detect more than 70 known and potentially dangerous activation exploits. Activation exploits are sometimes called “hacks”, and attempt to bypass or compromise Windows’ activation technologies. This new update is further evidence of Microsoft’s commitment to keeping customers and partners secure. The update will determine whether Windows 7 installed on a PC is genuine and will better protect customers’ PCs by making sure that the integrity of key licensing components remains intact.

I like the wording "potentially dangerous activation exploits".  I am going to be protected from hackers installing illegal copies of win7 on their machine.  Why don't they just say, this update is to stop people from stealing win7.  It doesn't protect me from anything.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:06:11 am »

I like the wording "potentially dangerous activation exploits".  I am going to be protected from hackers installing illegal copies of win7 on their machine.  Why don't they just say, this update is to stop people from stealing win7.  It doesn't protect me from anything.

Hey, if you've gone through all the trouble to get Linux working on your computer, or put down the wad of cash necessary to buy a Machintosh, wouldn't you be pissed if some hacker came along, wiped your HD, and installed unlicensed copy of Windows Vista?

I know what you mean.  Everything is made in China, especially computers.  Chinese companies have no problem cranking out products they do not have licenses for.  MS does need to protect itself, but this ingenuine explanation only causes one to imagine the worst intent on the part of MS.  MS doesn't need to care about the hacker building his own machine in his basement out of spare parts, but they will let you think the average Joe is the target.  MS has a PR department bent on driving the company into bankruptcy, and a management team that just doesn't give a crap.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:48:08 am »
You've gone from

to

Redhat and Mandriva charge to service Linux, but they do not own Linux.  Nobody owns Linux.

A big improvement. 

Both Redhat and Mandriva develop code that they have put under the GPL when they could have kept it proprietary.  The Redhat Package Manager for example.  Each could have kept that code for competitive advantage. 

Each could use instead the BSD kernel rather than a Linux kernel and be "proprietary".  Neither does.  Neither makes any effort to lock you in to their system or to control your use of it.  That lack of lock in and lack of control is what attracts myself and others to Linux and drives us away from Microsoft.

Still, the big computer manufacturers produce so many Windows machines that they sell them at a price that noone making an open source machine can touch.  Dell sells Windows laptops starting at $400.00, but the only Linux machine they have is over $700.00.  This is what really blows my mind about "Windows Activation Technology."  A Windows machine costs a lot less less than a machine with a "free" OS, but Windows jealously protects their OS with software that can really cause their customers serious trouble.  Microsoft's attitude is enough to drive customers to spend a lot more for alternative products.

In the past it has been demonstrated that those differences in price are driven by contracts between Microsoft and the OEM.  Formerly it was "you must pay us per machine sold" so Linux users were paying Microsoft when they bought a Dell.  Supposedly that is over but last I read Dell still was not allowed by their Microsoft contracts to sell the same model configured with another OS or Windows at the customers choice, they had to maintain separate product lines as they pay per machine of a given model now.  That drives up prices. 

When Asus brought out the eeePC (netbook) with Linux only Microsoft quickly worked to get Windows on it.  But you couldn't get the same machine with Linux or Windows.  The Linux machine always was given more flash to drive up the price above the equivalent Windows model.  Steve Ballmer has publicly stated that they are after driving up the price of Netbooks so they can charge more for Windows on it. 

Many people are waiting for Netbooks to come out based on the ARM processor as Windows 7 isn't compatible with it and there are versions of Linux and vast libraries of software that are compiled for the ARM chip.  If this happens we would finally be able to buy a Netbook without Microsoft interefence.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:53:41 am »
Hey, if you've gone through all the trouble to get Linux working on your computer, or put down the wad of cash necessary to buy a Machintosh, wouldn't you be pissed if some hacker came along, wiped your HD, and installed unlicensed copy of Windows Vista?

That is a new spin.  Microsoft protecting Linux and OS/X users from having Windows forced upon them. 

As to trouble getting Linux working here is how I did it.  Download ISO, burn DVD, boot computer with DVD in drive, answer a few questions.  Wait.

Last time I did a Windows (re)install.  It was a Dell given to me by my former employer.  Boot computer with CD in drive, answer a few questions.  Wait.  Reboot,  Install driver, reboot, repeat for each driver.

Windows took far longer and much more effort to install and that was with an OEM version that had its own driver  CD.

My mother and I were each given netbooks for Christmas with Windows 7 Starter edition.  I spent considerable effort removing the "cruft" to get the boot time down from 3 minutes to 50 seconds.