Topic: First In-Game Screenshot From Star Trek Online, UPDATED ground combat screenie  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
First in-game screenshot from STO now on the devlog

http://www.startrekonline.com/devlog/

I am underwhelmed. Pop-up windows with multiple choice responses and what look to be static NPC images. Is this all the further that they have advanced with MMORPGs? Where's my viewscreen? Where's my bridge? That isn't Trek, despite the devs saying it has to be Trek. How do you talk to people on a ship in Trek. A VIEWSCREEN!!

And the graphics look mediocre. This hardly looks as good as EVE.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:39:22 am by Lepton »

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: First In-Game Screenshot From Star Trek Online
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:24:30 pm »
I wonder if they Went lower on the graphics to make it more available to others. Still, they don't look that crisp from the one ScreenShot. I am still hoping this thing works out.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 12:41:48 pm »
Looks very pre-beta, which is to be expected.  I'd have to know how the interface works before I start bashing it, just like any other game.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:21:59 pm »
I wonder if they Went lower on the graphics to make it more available to others. Still, they don't look that crisp from the one ScreenShot. I am still hoping this thing works out.

Even if they did, it still looks pretty decent to me. The rocks could use some work, and I'msure they could do a better job with the atmospheric effects... but still, not terrible, IMO. (I will stipulate, though, that I haven't seen EVE and haven't played many new games recently, so I'mnot quite up to date on what cutting edge graphics look like.)
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 12:07:17 pm »
MMORPGS are usually a few steps behind on graphics anyway.  I'm guessing STO will look more polished before it's release.  I'm more worried about how it'll...you know...play... ;D

If you get a chance to try EVE, Kieran, check it out.  It's pretty awesome.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:38:14 am »

Can't say that I am too happy with this either. I see those terrible pop-up hit counters. Pretty much when you get hit with a phaser depending on the setting, you are going to be pretty wounded, killed, or vaporized. This doesn't translate well into some sort of hit point implementation. I don't see how you can hit a Gorn that has 190 hp with 39 points and not have it be pretty much over. To me, a single phaser hit and you are pretty much out of action, but I can see this getting pretty silly in STO where you are standing there shooting at each other and not much is happening, especially if you have something silly like 600+ hit points like the Fed and you are only hitting for 40 points or so.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
The damage could be reduced so they can study the damage mechanisms to make sure they are operating correctly. Could the Gorn be wearing energy resistant armor, ablative if you have played Traveler? Are Gorn naturally resistant to damage because of a very thick skin? Was that just a glancing shot doing little more than irritating the Gorn? Hopefully the pop up damage will be selectable although I generally like it as it puts the combat information where you can see it without looking somewhere else on the screen.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:35:37 pm »
MMORPGS are usually a few steps behind on graphics anyway.  I'm guessing STO will look more polished before it's release.  I'm more worried about how it'll...you know...play... ;D

If you get a chance to try EVE, Kieran, check it out.  It's pretty awesome.

I am trying a trial of EVE now.  I am not terribly impressed.  It seems overly complicated and the skills required for even the most basic agent missions seem to take quite awhile to train.  Want to use that Stasis Webifier that you got as a reward for a mission?  Be prepared to spend a couple of days training up to even be able to fit the thing.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD