Topic: Star Trek XI plot detail potentially leaked: SPOILERS  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
Star Trek XI plot detail potentially leaked: SPOILERS
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:31:46 am »
Major Spoiler alert:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/121107_05.shtml

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3696&Itemid=99

I really, really hope they don't go this way, but the source has been right before.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Star Trek XI plot detail potentially leaked: SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:29:06 am »
Nice find Lepton.

I wonder since they mentioned the TNG rom's, if this is the same spock we see in Unification. If so that would be pretty neat. As for the Guardian, I don't know, If I had that kinda thing available to me, I could do more then just go after one capt. That's kind of a let down.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:25 pm »
Why the f*ck can't they get away from the time travel thing?!?!?!?!?

I see Braga & Berman's fingerprints all over this.....

Another nail in the franchise coffin I guess...
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:20:53 pm »
Oh gezz not the time travel sh*t again.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:52:52 pm »
I am sure that someone has already thought of this, but has it occurred to anyone that this is nearly precisely the same thing that was happening in Enterprise with Jonathan Archer?  Enemies from the future trying to kill a captain from the past.  Seems pretty lame to repeat a storyline that was just used and not exceedingly well received in the first instance.  I was pretty convinced that the Dark Man man from the future in Enterprise was Romulan anyway.  Perhaps this is somehow supposed to tie in with that, but it seems particularly lame in this instance.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:48:06 am »
I am sure that someone has already thought of this, but has it occurred to anyone that this is nearly precisely the same thing that was happening in Enterprise with Jonathan Archer?  Enemies from the future trying to kill a captain from the past.  Seems pretty lame to repeat a storyline that was just used and not exceedingly well received in the first instance.  I was pretty convinced that the Dark Man man from the future in Enterprise was Romulan anyway.  Perhaps this is somehow supposed to tie in with that, but it seems particularly lame in this instance.

Thought he was a Rom too.  Plot line is disappointing. The garbage about how the enterprise has been redesigned is disappointing too.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 10:04:10 am »
Trek hasn't done time travel well since First Contact. When are they going to get it? ::)
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »
I find it stupid that the Gardien of forever is not guarded, and the secret of its existence is or should be top secret so no one know it exist,  that planet is in the fed territory, well maybe with a cloak ship the romulan find a way to get in the fed territory, but that will be consider an act of war from the fed if they find out,

the gate should be well protected if not by a station or a ship, something on the planet to shield it or build a dyson sphere around the planet or the solar system to hid the gardien.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 05:00:40 am »
I find it stupid that the Guardian of forever is not guarded, and the secret of its existence is or should be top secret so no one know it exist,  that planet is in the fed territory, well maybe with a cloak ship the romulan find a way to get in the fed territory, but that will be consider an act of war from the fed if they find out,

the gate should be well protected if not by a station or a ship, something on the planet to shield it or build a dyson sphere around the planet or the solar system to hid the guardian.

Nothing stays a secret forever and building a station, placing a permanant ship guard or especially building a Dyson sphere around the solar system (something which is probably still beyond Federation ability) is a really bad plan to keep it a secret. They've kept it a secret for over a hundred years, pretty good run if you ask me.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »
still, the should have a Guard or anything to shield it so no one can sneak at the gate and activate the Guardian

Offline WillDecker

• Commander of the U.S.S. Khambatta NCC-7101
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • The Khambatta Project
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:09:16 pm »
Orci Debunked a lot of it on Trekmovie.com
Where the universe ends, our dream begins. Somewhere beyond the dark... (Ilia's Theme ST:TMP/U.S.S. Khambatta Motto)

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:21:47 am »

Thought he was a Rom too.  Plot line is disappointing. The garbage about how the enterprise has been redesigned is disappointing too.

You know, back in the good old days Roddenberry kept trying to push a time travel storyline for the movies.  There was a reason everyone kept telling him "No".  It more or less sounds as if they're going to cannabalise elements of Enterprise and The City on the Edge of Forever, kludge them together and smear some unconvincing CGI on top of it.  Plus, given that no one is allowed to have any balls anymore our beloved space-going tough guys will likely be watered down to mere perm-coifed shadows of their former selves.

I always thought the Dark Man was Daniels and that he was playing both ends against the middle, so to speak.
"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 11:32:46 am »
I spot a massive continuity problem with the original TOS series.....

Wasn't both Kirk's father and mother both killed by Kolos the Executioner in front of the 15 year old James T. Kirk and his older brother Sam?? The event s a major building block in Kirk's character and probally what drives him in moments of crisis.

Do the script and storyline writers actually check out the TOS episodes just to assertain continuity at all??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 12:15:39 pm »
I spot a massive continuity problem with the original TOS series.....

Wasn't both Kirk's father and mother both killed by Kolos the Executioner in front of the 15 year old James T. Kirk and his older brother Sam?? The event s a major building block in Kirk's character and probally what drives him in moments of crisis.

Short answer is no. It was never said it was his parents who were killed.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 12:26:18 pm »

Do the script and storyline writers actually check out the TOS episodes just to assertain continuity at all??

Prepare yourselves, I'm about go all sacrilegious!

I say to phooey with rigid continuity.

If every subsequent incarnation of Star Trek must be faithful in every detail to all the 500+ episodes and the movies, how can you do anything new and fresh?

The new BSG is a classic example of this (a drastic and successful remake of a show from the 70's). Those that wanted an exact continuation of the 70's BSG hate the show, yet it is popular and acclaimed.

I imagine the reaction to the new Trek will be similar, although the deviation from "canon" will not be early as severe as was with BSG.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 12:31:22 pm »
Kirk says that he was raised by his older brother Sam after the masacre event, so either they both divorced their parents or they were not around.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 01:27:43 pm »
An assumption doesn't make a fact. There could be many reasons why he chose to live with Sam. What were his parents jobs? Why would they be living on Tarsus IV when they had a farm on Earth?

Regardless the point is it never says his parents were killed on Tarsus IV.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 02:10:15 pm »
True, look at how pundits point out how far the rim of the Galaxy is from Earth and then point at the SS Valiant being "Swept past the edge of the Galaxy".

Er, in the 3D universe we live in, it only had to be swept a short distance up or down at right angles to the Galaxy's gravitaional plane to be swept out of the Galaxy.

The Galaxy is not flat!!

I have a friend who was bounced all over the world, as a kid, as his parents travelled a lot for work.

Kirk's father had some connection with Captain Garrovick, as Kirk mentions that Garrovich helped him into the Academy and influenced him.

If you piece together all the snippets of info given in TOS about Kirk's previous life, it is quite complex, full of tradegy and lucky escapes.

Kirk is a very driven and troubled individual.