Topic: Old Frigate  (Read 20999 times)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: Old Frigate
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2008, 05:22:17 am »
Nice work Atheorhaven  Any chance we can see her  besides a Constitution class for size comparison. I'll definitely have to download
this one also nice upgrade on the fleet dock 13 model. 

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2008, 08:17:32 am »
is it just me or does the right warp necule(sic) seem to lean towards the other engine slightly?
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2008, 08:59:44 am »
the pylon on the left seem different from the one on the right.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2008, 09:29:10 am »
that is the one I seen.  The right pylon of the ship.  To the left for the viewer.  Wasn't sure if it might be the lighting on the pylon or not, but thought it leans alittle.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2008, 09:42:46 am »
If you look real close you can see they are the same, it's just an illusion caused by the textures.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2008, 10:00:03 am »
Nice work Atheorhaven  Any chance we can see her  besides a Constitution class for size comparison. I'll definitely have to download

this should do.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2008, 12:50:12 pm »
If you look real close you can see they are the same, it's just an illusion caused by the textures.

Thanks for catching that.. they were both spun 30 some degrees (32 I think) and both exactly the same.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2008, 12:51:30 pm »

Sure can Bernard.. I'll pull in Mudd's Connie into Max as well and do some renders for comparison.  :)

Right after coffee and breakfast.  ;)

(edit [later])  Okay, I pulled in Mudd's Connie, Mudd's Saladin, the new kitbash, and the original Fleetdock 13 model for size comparisons.

It goes, Saladin, Connie, new ship, original Fleetdock 13 mesh from left to right.

Last shot shows up as a closeup of the new ship versus the old Fleetdock 13 ship with the edge of the Coniie to the left.  (Ignore the textures on the Saladin and Connie, I was experimenting on both the Connie and Saladin for textures).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:38:14 pm by atheorhaven »

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »
Quick update (see above)..

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »
why does that litemap on the connie look ... off?

JM.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2008, 02:51:34 pm »
But why are the nachelles on top anyway.... the Burke Class models in SFB and artworks / diagrams of the BUrke Class always have the nachelles underneath close to the hull.

Having them on top mounted also blocks part of the firing arcs for the Port and Starboard Phaser Banks.

I'm surprised that nobody has had a go at the similar sized Kovaris Class (DD 460 - 462) destroyers.

They mount a T-Pylon arrangement above the saucer. I made a model of both the Kovaris and the Burke back in 1994 and still have both. I had to create and mould a lot the plastic parts myself.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2008, 03:26:51 pm »
why does that litemap on the connie look ... off?
JM.

Because I have a different lightmap for the Connie than the base texture.  As I said, please ignore the textures on the Connie and Saladin because I was experimenting with the textures.  :)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »
But why are the nachelles on top anyway.... the Burke Class models in SFB and artworks / diagrams of the BUrke Class always have the nachelles underneath close to the hull.

Having them on top mounted also blocks part of the firing arcs for the Port and Starboard Phaser Banks.

I'm surprised that nobody has had a go at the similar sized Kovaris Class (DD 460 - 462) destroyers.

They mount a T-Pylon arrangement above the saucer. I made a model of both the Kovaris and the Burke back in 1994 and still have both. I had to create and mould a lot the plastic parts myself.

Dunno, I didn't design it, I'm filling a request.

Notes from the original credits:

Original Credits
The Original Series Burke Frigate

Original mesh by Moon

Based on a design by Franz Joseph and Paramount's Star Trek series

Mesh heavily reworked by Lansing (Mike Callahan)

Textures by by Lansing

Design advice, HEAVY research and additional textural work by Brian Zinkle, Ghost and Anduril.

I think the key here is that it was based on the Franz Joseph design, but was changed during the build.. maybe they thought that it looked better this way. 

But at any rate, I'm not judging the design concept, or practicality of the ship, the size, or really anything else.. I'm trying to help someone fill a request for an update to the Fleetdock 13 design, and my interest in it is that, plus seeing how I, Mudd's parts work in a kitbash.  Quite well, I think.. the results speak for themselves.  :)

I got a old frigate (tos era) and i was wondering if anyone have remake it or would be interested to remake it?

To me, this is some of the joy I get from SFC.. plus also I know that this new ship will help extend the gameplay and life of SFC for one person.  And I don't know about the other modellers motives, but that's part of it for me.  :)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2008, 03:41:14 pm »
There were later other related Classes such as the Buford, etc. in the Burke Family.

I made mine by etching the component shape into Dental Plaster, things like saucer details, etc.

I then cast it in Glue Gun Stick in a sort of inhection moulding process using a large syringe to create  the draw in vaccuum, let it cool and stuck it together.

The only two things Super Glue will stick together are Human Skin and Glue Gun Stick!!

I then painted it up.

Life is so much easier modelling on a computer in 3D.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2008, 03:44:42 pm »
To me, this is some of the joy I get from SFC.. plus also I know that this new ship will help extend the gameplay and life of SFC for one person.  And I don't know about the other modellers motives, but that's part of it for me.  :)

I just like knowing that for basically the first time in my life, I'm actually doing something creative and artistic.  And what really makes me feel good is that some people here actually like my work enough that they use it.

Other than that, I do it for the love of doing it.  Not to mention if done right, they look killer in game.   ;D

KEEP ON MODDING ATHEORHAVEN!!!!
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2008, 04:24:32 pm »

well if you look closely the conie also have part of the warp engine in the way of the arc, the only ship that don't have the engines in the ways are the Saladin class and maybe a few other, since the engine is under the saucer the arc is clear.

well LS did Don't remember when kinda remake the Saladin class.

well the engines could be with the nacel be on the side of the ship and place the deflector dish on front of the saucer.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2008, 04:30:26 pm »
here something else.

a klingon fed hybrid, not like the one centurion is making for me :)

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2008, 04:36:56 pm »
well if you look closely the conie also have part of the warp engine in the way of the arc, the only ship that don't have the engines in the ways are the Saladin class and maybe a few other, since the engine is under the saucer the arc is clear.
well LS did Don't remember when kinda remake the Saladin class.
well the engines could be with the nacel be on the side of the ship and place the deflector dish on front of the saucer.

That's similar to the idea that Mackie had when he kitbashed the Alamo from Schtupp parts.. which I then used as the basis for the TOS Bethune, which I see that you downloaded at one point.  :)

It's nice to see it on someone else's hard drive.. ;)

It was also dedicated to the people affected by the London subway bombings in 2005..

Original thread can be seen here with the TNG and TOS versions of the hospital ship I did..

TNG Britannia
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163357963.msg1122592969.html#msg1122592969
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=163357963.0;id=3994

TOS Bethune
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163357963.msg1122593059.html#msg1122593059

In progress shot

What's kind of neat for me is seeing people confusing my and Mackie's kitbashes with Schtupp's originals.. guess that means that we did a good enough job.  :D

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2008, 04:44:39 pm »

Sure can Bernard.. I'll pull in Mudd's Connie into Max as well and do some renders for comparison.  :)

Right after coffee and breakfast.  ;)

(edit [later])  Okay, I pulled in Mudd's Connie, Mudd's Saladin, the new kitbash, and the original Fleetdock 13 model for size comparisons.

It goes, Saladin, Connie, new ship, original Fleetdock 13 mesh from left to right.

Last shot shows up as a closeup of the new ship versus the old Fleetdock 13 ship with the edge of the Coniie to the left.  (Ignore the textures on the Saladin and Connie, I was experimenting on both the Connie and Saladin for textures).

Alec
That's really nice work.   My only suggestion would be either scale up the  A,B,C Decks By a little more make them 85 percent the size of the Constitution this would give the frigate a small bridge but something that is still reasonably scaled or redesign the A, B C deck to a 2 deck height
Deck for a bridge. again The bridge can be slightly smaller than the Connie's but not by too much .  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2008, 04:47:41 pm »
here something else.

a klingon fed hybrid, not like the one centurion is making for me :)

You gotta give credit to the guy that made that hybrid.  Talk about creative and resourceful.

Oh, and Don, aside from a break model, what else do you want done on that kitbash?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.