Topic: Finalizing my system build  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
Finalizing my system build
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:21:04 am »
OK, I am just waiting on the Card Reader, Case, Power Supply, and 3.5" Floppy drive for my build..

Final system specifications to date:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

Patriot Extreme 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (4x1024)

GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4L LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOC2E GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 NTSC/ATSC/QAM/FM TV Tuner Card w/MCE Remote

Western Digital Caviar WD3200AAJS-00YFA0 SATA Hard Drive 320 GB, 3 Gb/s, 8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Tristar TS-H652D 18X DVD Internal (+/-R DVD-DL Burner)

Mad Dog Dominator MegaStor 7-in-1 MD-16XDVD9 USB Drive (+/-R DVD-DL Burner)

Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular

SanDisk Cruzer Slide 2Gb USB Memory Stick

PC USA CR-02-LZAI-2 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader + USB 2.0 Hub

SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD

NZXT Apollo BLUE NP Blue SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I-inc TW191DPB 19in Wide DVI 5ms Black LCD Monitor

Lexmark X2500 All-In-One Printer/Scanner

Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speaker

120 MM Intake Fan w/ Blue LED

Arctic Silver 5 compound for heatsinks on CPU, Northbridge, and Southbridge

20 MM fan for Northbridge heatsink

Overall cost .. about $1675

This is my wife's gift to me for my Birthday that passed on the 23rd of Feb.

Anyhow this will be my new test platform for the SFC game series.. this new system should be online no later than next Thursday or Friday.. Latest Saturday.

I'm liking my Birthday present :) :P
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:32:17 pm by Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Finalizing my system build
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:58:34 am »
With those system resources, you should have opted for Vista Ultimate.  Your system could have easily handled that and have quite a bit of processing power left over.

I couldn't help but notice the lack of any sound card mentioned.  Are you gonna use the onboard sound?
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:23:16 am »
Onboard sound is Realtek 7.1 surround Dolby Digital compliant.. I may get an EAX or an X-FI card in the future.. but for now, the onboard sound will sufficiently suffice.

As for Vista Ultimate.. that was a choice in price..

I got Vista Home Premium 64 bit for $109.99 ... Vista Ultimate was $189.99 .. not much of a choice.. Sure I am limited to 16 Gb system memory with 64 bit Home Premium and it would be nice to have the 64 bit Ultimate  for the 128 Gb memory capability, but I doubt I need that capacity.

But thanks for asking.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:40:26 am by Pestalence_XC »
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:22:41 pm »
you have not say what power suply you will use for that?

also why use a pentium?, amd are good for games.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:59:59 pm »
you have not say what power suply you will use for that?

also why use a pentium?, amd are good for games.

Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular

I had it shortened to the Ultra X3 1000w Modular PSU in above post.

It is not Pentium, it is Core 2 Duo.. Intel stopped making Pentiums with the Pentium Dual Core processors.. Core 2 Duo would be basically a newer gen processor chip. The P2D processors were ok and willl run Vista, but very slowly.. not enough Umph.. Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme, and Quad Cores are the way to go.. I went with this processor for price, and Overclocking capability.. it can match a Core 2 Extreme easily (both chips overclocked) the only difference is 8 Mb 2nd level cache that the Core 2 Extreme has as compared to the 4 Mb 2nd level cache of the Core 2 that I have... Both processors can hyper thread the same, same core speeds, and so forth.. the Extreme can process Graphical data just a little faster than the one I have.. but a 8% increase in performance does not justify the $300 difference in price.  Just like the Vid card.. I got the 8800GTX OC2.. I could have gotten an Ultra.. but $125 more for a 6% increase of performance isn't worth it.

Intel isn't just for gaming.. it is for developing games.. they have much more power than AMD, plus Microsoft uses Intel test beds exclusively, which is why AMD hardware have a lot of driver problems, where Intel and NVidia do not.

Plus with the CPU above .. I can overclock the system from 1333 Mhz to 1700 Mhz front bus CPU and get the Core 2 Duo's running about 4.6 to 5.4 Ghz per chip with adaquet cooling (5.4 if water cooling, 4.6 air cooling).. plus I can overclock the memory from 800 Mhz to 1076 Mhz on the Intel Chipset.. and this is just in the Bios settings.. not even having to do any manual hardware modifications.. just need adaquet cooling.

AMD may be faster than Intel for gaming on stock out of box settings.. but Overclock an AMD and Overclock an Intel.. the Intel will leave the AMD in the dust.. Plus on Out of box settings, Intel blows AMD out of the water on any other applications...

I had some AMD equipment.. it was too buggy, slow, and driver problems for over a year.. it never worked right, never could get XP running stable under it with my game configurations.. I was always having to change driver versions.. especially on the Radeon cards (most will say ATI for radeon.. ATI is owned by AMD)..

I never had ANY hardware problems with Intel and NVidia chipsets running Windows of any version.. from now and all the way back to Windows 3.1

I will go with the proven technology every time.. and Intel has proven itself reliable time and time again..

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:20:27 pm by Pestalence_XC »

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:49:37 pm »
hmm i change my power suply that was finish and i only need 400Watts, my video card is a genforge 6600 256 meg pci-e (i don't know why but i always taught it was a agp card) and no problem under win xp and amd, the com is well except for the mother board and power supply are 2 years old and go well, might depend of a lot of stuff.

i know that there a cpu of amd that run win xp in 64 bit compapre to the 32 bit with regular amd cpu.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:41:24 pm »
hmm i change my power suply that was finish and i only need 400Watts, my video card is a genforge 6600 256 meg pci-e (i don't know why but i always taught it was a agp card) and no problem under win xp and amd, the com is well except for the mother board and power supply are 2 years old and go well, might depend of a lot of stuff.

i know that there a cpu of amd that run win xp in 64 bit compapre to the 32 bit with regular amd cpu.

Any Athlon 64 processor will run XP 64 bit without problems.  Intel's dual core and quad core processors run it without problems as well.

Both AMD and Intel chips can run Vista 64 bit operating systems.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 10:13:26 pm »
Here are the specs on my Core 2 Duo

Processor Specifications :

sSpec Number: SLA9V
CPU Speed: 2.66 GHz
PCG: 06
Bus Speed: 1333 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 8
L2 Cache Size: 4 MB
L2 Cache Speed: 2.66 GHz
Package Type: LGA775
Manufacturing Technology: 65 nm
Core Stepping: G0
CPUID String: 06FBh
Thermal Design Power: 65W
Thermal Specification: 72°C
VID Voltage Range: 0.85V – 1.5V
Product Documentation:
http://www.intel.com/design/core2duo/documentation.htm

Supported Features :

Dual Core
Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology
Intel® EM64T 1       <---------------    <------  This means the chip can work both 32 bit or 64 bit software without a problem
Intel® Virtualization Technology
Enhanced Halt State (C1E)
Execute Disable Bit 2
Intel® Thermal Monitor 2

Notes :

These parts support Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT)
These parts have PROCHOT enabled.
These parts have THERMTRIP enabled.
These parts have PECI enabled.
These parts have Tdiode enabled.
These parts have Extended Stop Grant State (C2E) enabled.
These parts have Extended HALT (C1E) power of 8W.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team