Topic: The what I got this week thread  (Read 23573 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: The what I got this week thread
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2013, 09:44:31 am »
Once all the movies are on the disks THEN I have to buy more disks for the backups so I don't have to do it all over again in case a drive fails.  I've been working on this for most of the last year.

Done.  4x2 TB for my DVDs and another 4x2 TB for back ups of those.  I did give away the 1 drive external bay so now all 10 external bays are full.  18.25 TB of HD space on that Linux machine :) (8x2 TB, 1x1 TB 1x750 GB and the internal 500GB drive).

It was actually last week but a new Netbook.  The old one had a flakey screen.

Specs:

Acer Aspire One AO722-0818, Netbook (Espresso Black) - AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50 (1.0GHz), 11.6" HD (1366x768), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6250 Graphics, 802.11b/g/n, Webcam, Card Reader, 6-cell Battery, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Replaced the 5400 rpm drive with a 500 gb 7200 rpm hybrid.  Also upped the ram to 4 gb.  Boot ups do seem faster.  :)

Nothing new bought but my SF movies/SF TV show disk is almost full (~60gb left) so I need more space.  I'm looking at an external bay that can hold 4x 4TB drives, the current bays are limited to 2TB per drive.  So Stephen I *may* be upping my potential storage another 16 TB soon.  :)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2013, 03:21:07 am »
That would be awesome! 16TB more. Now you are getting up there. I use swappable disk myself, but an external bay like that would be a great idea.

My next big step for myself, will be either a projector, or a good large TV so the wife can be able to see and hear the talking picture show. Her eyes are getting worse all the time, and the old 36" CRT is even starting to give her a hard time.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55:42 am »
I'm not sure when I'll do it.  Right now with Christmas and having to buy a new battery pack for the E-Bike (going lithium which costs a lot but has equal advantages) money is tight and I don't *quite* need the room yet. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 10:45:39 am »
I hear that man, I'm still interested in those Ebikes myself.

as an aside, I bought my Gmaw a TV this year from wally world, and on a lark, I hooked it up to my PC. My god, was it nice. If I can ever afford it, I'll grab one for the wife and I.

This is what it is brother...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SCEPTRE-X325BV-FMDR-32-LED-Class-1080P-HDTV-with-ultra-slim-metal-brush-bezel-MHL/25059349

I tell ya, If I ever get rich, I may just buy 3 of them, for the PC alone. Such a great picture , even on games.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:28 am »
BTW Nem. Dracho had posted this at another place, and after reading it, I thought you might enjoy the article, given your Ebike and all.

MIT-designed snap-in wheel turns any bicycle into a hybrid

Published December 03, 2013/
FoxNews.com

MIT supergroup Superpedestrian wants to sell you a superbike.

The Copenhagen Wheel by the MIT spin-off is a self-contained module that turns an ordinary bicycle into a hybrid. The Wheel works like a Toyota Prius or Chevy Volt, generating juice during braking and turning on to boost a bike rider up steep hills.

“What it lets you do is not waste energy,” Assaf Biderman, founder of Superpedestrian, told FoxNews.com. “Usually when you brake, you waste it into heat. This gives it back to you so you can get a push.”

A slick-looking, 12-pound red disk that sits within the spokes of the bike’s back wheel, the Copenhagen Wheel was invented at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s SENSEable City Lab. It was featured for an entire season on the TV show “Weeds,” but it hasn’t been released as a product until now.

“You ride it just like any other bike,” Biderman said. The Copenhagen Wheel works with single-speed “fixies” and multi-gear bikes. It can zoom up to 20 miles per hour -- reasonably fast for a bicycle -- and has a range of 30 miles, although the rider may need to remove the lithium-ion battery to charge it fully for that sort of travel.

And it improves as it goes: The $699 Wheel learns the rider’s abilities and studies the hills and valleys he travels to determine when it should kick in and help out.

How exactly it does that is part of what makes the product so special, Biderman said.

“This is the secret sauce we’ve been working on,” he said. Around a dozen sensors tucked away inside the module learn how the rider pedals as well as the topography he or she is riding on, Biderman explained. When the Wheel needs to kick in, it does so seamlessly, to integrate with the rider’s pedaling. There are no additional throttles, wires or buttons.

The Wheel can be customized by connecting to the rider’s smartphone, as well. The Superpedestrian mobile app lets riders maintain a personal profile by tracking usage statistics such as distance traveled, calories burned and elevation gain. These stats can even be compared and shared with friends, the company says -- social cycling, in a sense.

“Effectively, the Copenhagen Wheel puts your bike online – at the center of your personal Internet of Things,” said Carlo Ratti, co-inventor of the Copenhagen Wheel and director of the MIT Senseable City Lab.

The Copenhagen Wheel is available for purchase now at superpedestrian.com, but the modules -- which are individually handmade in Cambridge, Mass. -- won’t begin shipping until early next year.

Looks like you’ll be pedal powered until then.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »
I read about that on Slashdot a week or so back.  Thanks for the heads up anyhow.  (I also do monitor the "Other Place" and read it there too :)  ). 

I keep looking at the big screen TVs (I still have a 27" old style that never gets turned on) but other things always take priority. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »
Nothing new bought but my SF movies/SF TV show disk is almost full (~60gb left) so I need more space.  I'm looking at an external bay that can hold 4x 4TB drives, the current bays are limited to 2TB per drive.  So Stephen I *may* be upping my potential storage another 16 TB soon.  :)

Just for Stephen

I have since bought 2 of the 4x4tb drive bays.  One has 2 4TB drives (master copies) the other only has 1 (damn ATM was down and the sale is over so I couldn't get the extra one at the time) for backups.  The additional 4TB drive will be added as soon as they go on sale again. 

Present totals 16 TB for master copies and 12 TB for backups total 28 TB.  The remaining 2 drive bay I'm not ever bothering to count. :)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
Holy crap Nem, move over NSA, I have a Nemesis as a friend!

heh, side thought, makes me wonder if the NSA will monitor this thread now LOL.

Seriously, I am so glad you are enjoying this. who knows, in a 100 years , those HD's may be all that we have left, showing our culture and films of our time. I mean look at how many episodes of old Dr Who we lost.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »
A lot of stuff has been lost more will be due to the effectively infinite copyright laws. 

First season of the Avengers is almost all lost.  The old Jack Benny show had a group arrange to digitize it but the studio backed out because the fan group would own the new copyrights generated by that act not CBS.  The show itself is in the public domain but CBS has the only copies.  A dog in the manger situation. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2014, 01:51:41 pm »
Didn't get anything new but did find something to upgrade to some day.

Link

Seagate Bulks Up With $260 8TB 'Archive' HDD

That could easily reduce the number of drives and bays I need.   :smitten:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2020, 09:54:07 am »
My movie HD backup system had to be rebuilt over the last few years. 

Primary system a external Mediasonic 4 drive bay with 2x6 TB drives and 2x8 TB drives total 28 TB.  Plenty of free space.

Backups kept at work in individual external cases are matching drives so my back up is also 28 TB.  Still updating the backups since I added the last 2x8 TB drives last Saturday. 

Should hold me for a while.