Topic: Hey y'all, Favorite Scenes, any author's stories?  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Hey y'all, Favorite Scenes, any author's stories?
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:09:55 pm »
I'd like to reminice [sp?] about stories posted in the past and currently. What was the most memorable scene what author constructed for our pleasure and their own.

Post as many as you like, as many as you remember.

Among my favorites, off the top of my bald head, are La'ra's famous scenes with my namesake, Ron'jar [never mind his SP]. The particular one I have in mind is from his last complete tale, when La'ra was watching his First from orbit as he staged a violent act. La'ra always makes me happy by patting my ego.

Another was Andy's Romulan berating his comm officer for the way he carried out his duties.

I can name others, but will save them for later. Any body else got a favorite? Lots of stories have come acros the Dyna/Taldren boards...

--guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Re: Hey y'all, Favorite Scenes, any author's stories?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:21:16 am »
One that always sticks in my head is from Andy's 'The Two-Day War'.  There are two battle scenes, each involving three Federation ships combating a larger number of smaller Klingon vessels.  There was something about the way those fights flowed that I really enjoyed, a very good sense of being overwhelmed.

Another that immediately springs to mind is the scene in the Guv's 'Relaunch' where Ford and companions are at the rocket launch site and become informed as to the war that's breaking out on the planet.  Loved the regretful look Ford gives a woman who, realizes there's something odd about the landing party.  There's also the 'not liking the Prime Directive enough to be a wall shadow!' line.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• The Official Bard of XenoCorp
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
  • Captain, XC Hydran Squadron
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »
I am STILL trying to get over this one.   :D

Ford:  Mister Davenport… Did an alien… space-borne entity… just have sex with my ship?
Ron:  I believe it did, Skipper. And it didn’t even buy us dinner.

It is actually quite a large undertaking to go back through and pick out my favorite scenes... there has simply been SO MUCH excellent work that has been contributed to this board over the years.
Hilaritas sapientiae et bonae vitae proles.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:32:36 pm »
And who can forget SPAM?

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 10:15:38 pm »
wow... three commenters and two mention two of my stories! Awesome!

Off the top of my head (and going back some), I've loved all of Captain Krenn's funny short stories (as reminded by Hsta), especially 'Negotiations', 'Santa Got Run Over By A Klingon', and 'Set Disruptors to Stun'.

Grimbek battling a Mugato from Larry's 'Theft, Honour, and Family' was pretty cool too, as was 'A Starry Night', also known as 'Camp Klingons'.  ;D  Commando Bob

Roger's "Hell on Endeavour" story (I forget the title) was intense. The scenes I remember from that are the woman peeling her face of and the other one, uh, propositioning Jonathan as he makes his way to Engineering.

I think Jaeih's 'A Little Time to Spare' is definitely worthy of note.  :D  For the slagging off of the French captain, of course.  ::)  Also from Jaeih, 'First Steps'. Andie flying test combat manoeuvres and getting hit by a micrometeorite.

Hsta's many fabulous Montolkien stories; the 'bury me in a Y-shaped coffin' scene comes to mind most vividly.

Heath's Lyran story 'TGP Forager': The scene in the marketplace where the captured Federation crew are treated to a Lyran bazaar.

That's all I'll put for just now, but I'm bubbling over with stuff I know.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:23:52 pm »
Too much to sort through.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 04:23:03 am »
Also from Jaeih, 'First Steps'. Andie flying test combat manoeuvres and getting hit by a micrometeorite.

Remembered that when I was thinking about this thread today at work.  I really loved that sequence.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »
Too much to sort through.

Cop out!

*sticks tongue out at the Kadh*

--guv!

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:18:34 am »
Not at all.  The recent ones are too new to judge and the older ones would take mucho effort to dig through.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:11:47 pm »
Ah...the lazy route. *winks*

--guv

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:59:21 pm »
Honestly, save for Rommie's recent story and the H'sta parody nothing really stands out in my mind.

And I don't have the time to go through the old stuff.

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 03:14:51 am »
The gems here are the sole reason I still frequent this board. But I lack time to really dig out the best parts. I agree with SA mostly though. Maybe if I have time to post at all your stories and say more than GIMME MORE, I'll revisit this thread and add my own.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:09:59 am »
Some more for ya:

Smithy's Tigermoth stories. His character interaction is brilliant, such a sense of fun about them. I really like his people. Special note: the rubber photon grenade scene(s).

K-Fo's interaction is good too. I like that his characters seem like "real" people to me. Fully fleshed out, with real depth. I can't remember any off the top of my head except the very early stuff (Richthofen's Hegemony?) and Haven I just read, so no particular scenes grab me as yet. Scratch that, the death of the pretty red-head and her crew on the Daran. I remember that one now. You b*stard!  ;D

Kadh's scene with the Diz fighting a small ISC Echelon and him putting the battle to opera in his head.

An old story bubbling up from the dark recesses of when I had Jaeih's Taldren archive:
-Xenophon's short "still truckin" I think it was.
-The Vampire on a dreadnought story, maybe from Dash Jones or Autolycus. The scene where he mesmerises a female crewmwate is kinda chilling.

Which reminds me of zimzum's scene where his Tal Shi'ar guy brutally murders a female Starfleet guard while escaping from the Harrison.

-Garth's stories about his namesake aboard the Yorktown, in which he delighted in boarding parties splattering Romulan blood everywhere.

(This is kinda devolving into remembering stories that stuck in my mind, rather than entertained me specifically)

Ooh! Getting back on track, Karl Fender's 'Raider' storyline, the ep where they discover an abandoned ship that was 'haunted'. Good atmosphere and excellent ending on that one. His 'Raider' storyline was really excellent. Gutted that I lost it.

Rommie's police ship storyline, where her captain stands up for not wanting to be in Starfleet at the end, and the mystery of the story itself.

That's all I've got for now, beyond glorifying Jaeih's work. :D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:16:47 pm »
Honestly, save for Rommie's recent story and the H'sta parody nothing really stands out in my mind.

I'll...keep that in mind...

--guv

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 09:13:28 pm »
K-Fo's interaction is good too. I like that his characters seem like "real" people to me. Fully fleshed out, with real depth. I can't remember any off the top of my head except the very early stuff (Richthofen's Hegemony?) and Haven I just read, so no particular scenes grab me as yet. Scratch that, the death of the pretty red-head and her crew on the Daran. I remember that one now. You b*stard!  ;D

That's why they call me that. :lol:

As for the early stuff... well, that's best forgotten. I got embarrassed the last time I read anything I wrote before 2005 or so. ;D I'm afraid that thanks to school I have basically zero time to write for the time being, but for a dose or two of decent K-Fo, check out my Interludes, Midnight on the Firing Line(that story I now consider apocryphal now that S'Tasik has passed beyond the Trek writing veil for good now, but I'm still mostly proud of the writing) or naturally Haven. I will try to get a decent update to the latter done before the end of the month if at all possible.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 11:33:05 am »

:o

Thanks Kadh-- This is, indeed, high praise!

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 05:51:59 pm »
Hmmm... sorry that I didn't jump on this sooner.

I agree with Kadh, too much to actually sort through, and choose a best.

A lot of works stick out in my mind from LONG ago, especially early Kadh, Blyre and Hasta.

Recent works from the Guv, the entire Endy series, and Rommie's epic pop to mind.

But I can't forget MP:TH (and the other 3).

Czar "No quote today" Mohab

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:02 pm »
...But I can't forget MP:TH (and the other 3).

Czar "It's Just a Flesh Wound" Mohab!!!  I was wondering what you thought of how MP:TH ended.  I haven't heard from you since the Battle of Five Armies put you on the 15 day disabled list!   ;)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:16 pm »
"Up and down like the fortunes of Gondor..."

:laugh:

Offline Hstaphath_XC

• XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt.
    • The XC Bard's Corner
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 10:43:07 pm »
"Up and down like the fortunes of Gondor..."

Reportedly, it's one of those jokes that is funny because it is true.   :D