Topic: XP SP3 delay  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
Re: XP SP3 delay
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 04:42:18 pm »
It's a piece of garbage, that's why... :P

Very true. :-p

Hey Age, have you tried downloading the whole setup file from Microsoft's catalogue site?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

No not from that link only the one Pestalence provided will try that when I get home.

Hopefully it'll work for you and you won't have any problems with it.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 09:32:45 pm »
The link I provided is what Microsoft Updates uses to transfer the file to you.. It is also the link used in the MSDN Downloads section of Microsoft.. The link provided by 9TH is from the Microsoft Catalog, which was just updated last month.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 10:24:31 pm »
One of my minor peeves with Vista was that the desktop came up quickly, but you had to wait a while for everything to finish loading.  Now, with SP3, my XP machine does the same thing! :P
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 12:46:30 am »
The link I provided is what Microsoft Updates uses to transfer the file to you.. It is also the link used in the MSDN Downloads section of Microsoft.. The link provided by 9TH is from the Microsoft Catalog, which was just updated last month.

Pesty, if you want, you can call me Cent, or what most people tend to call me, nutcase.   ;D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 08:49:38 am »
One of my minor peeves with Vista was that the desktop came up quickly, but you had to wait a while for everything to finish loading.  Now, with SP3, my XP machine does the same thing! :P

Yeah. I've noticed the same thing.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline S'Raek

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 09:22:30 am »
So, should I get SP3 or not?

Veritas vos Liberabit -- Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 11:07:27 am »
As long as your machine doesn't connect to the internet, SP3 shouldn't be necessary.  One of Microsoft's clients has probably already released a virus to attack SP2.  I believe back in the 80's, Microsoft or one of the other big software companies actually put out virus infested copies of their software where pirates could copy and sell it.  I wouldn't be surprized if Nortons, and all the other dpervauers of anti-virus software were actually writing 99.9% of the malicious software in the first place.  I've been convinced that a lot of racketeering has been going on in the software industry for a long time.  It isn't just MS.  Better be safe than sorry, download and install it.

If you have an AMD processor, make sure they've worked the bugs out; there have been problems.  SP3 works fine with Intel chipsets, except for the eternal boot, that is.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 04:17:27 pm »
I don't know what it is but I am still having a problems downloading this or even installling this as it aborts and won't install.I have problems upadting it through start/windows updates and I get failed attempt.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 05:34:27 pm »
I would not DL the service pack through Windows Update.. Almost everyone that has, have had trouble with Automatic Updates with installing SP3.
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 09:52:11 pm »
Windows Update is broken on Service Package 3.. Use the URL I provided above and download the full IT install and install it manually.. I will work.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:10 pm »
I would not DL the service pack through Windows Update.. Almost everyone that has, have had trouble with Automatic Updates with installing SP3.

I tried three or four times to download the full install file but each time i was kicked out. I finally just bit the bullet and used Microsoft Update. it worked fine for me. i do have to say that I do not let my computer download and install anything unless I tell it to. So, no automatic updates for me.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 04:17:57 am »

I guess I'm the minority.  I installed SP3 through Microsoft Update, and had no problems whatsoever.

Installed SP3 on my test drive from the downloaded setup from Microsoft's Update Catalogue site and it had no problems.

No difference in performance or stability between the two, or from SP2.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 09:46:13 am »

I guess I'm the minority.  I installed SP3 through Microsoft Update, and had no problems whatsoever.

Installed SP3 on my test drive from the downloaded setup from Microsoft's Update Catalogue site and it had no problems.

You haven't notice it takes longer for the machine to finish booting?  If I ran this machine 24/7, I wouldn't notice anything.  The problems people have been having with SP3 mainly relate to AMD processors.  If you're running a Intel chipset, you shouldn't have any problems.  The problem with Window is that MS is trying to be Apple.  If I liked Apple, I would have bought Apple!

Offline Centurus

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 10:19:12 am »

You haven't notice it takes longer for the machine to finish booting?  If I ran this machine 24/7, I wouldn't notice anything.  The problems people have been having with SP3 mainly relate to AMD processors.  If you're running a Intel chipset, you shouldn't have any problems.  The problem with Window is that MS is trying to be Apple.  If I liked Apple, I would have bought Apple!

No difference whatsoever, and I'm running an AMD processor.  The boot doesn't take any longer than it did before, nor is it any faster.  Same with shutdown.  Same with programs turning on and shutting down.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
When ever I go install this it half way through install it aborts and say access denied.What would be the reason for this I might contact MS themselves and find out?

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »
Are you an administrator on your computer your installing this on?
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 03:07:26 pm »
Yes I am the Admin of this computer being my home computer.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 03:32:37 pm »
Sounds like you have a system hijacker on board.. if you can find the program "HiJack This", and run a scan, then post the results.. I can tell yo what to remove in order for you to regain control of your system.

Member :
Taldren Beta Test Team

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »
Here it is and thanks

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:06:43 PM, on 7/2/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://sympatico.msn.ca/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICQ Lite] "C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe" -minimize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent DNA] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent_DNA\dna.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Internet Download Accelerator] C:\Program Files\IDA\ida.exe -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [ICQ Lite] C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe -trayboot
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9819CC0E-9669-4D01-9CD7-2C66DA43AC6C} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server Version 4 (WinVNC4) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\WinVNC4.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 3951 bytes

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 05:20:54 pm »
I'm not the greatest with HijackThis but I did notice that you are using two anti-virus programs.  Using Trend Micro and AVG at the same time could cause some problems.  I would suggest uninstalling AVG until your subscription with Trend Micro runs out.  Hope this helps.