Topic: OT but cool (at least for me) news  (Read 3011 times)

Offline NuclearWessels

• Evil Dave
  • Serverkit Development Team
  • Lt. Commander
  • Scripter and general nuisance
    • NukeDocs
OT but cool (at least for me) news
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:30:21 pm »
Well, after a long push, our department finally got the go-ahead to start a computer game/animation program to run alongside our B.Sc. and diploma.
(We're a little comp sci dept. at Malaspina College, about to become Vancouver Island University.)

One of the few perks of being dept head is that I (within reason) get creative control over the new program  ;D 
Our first two game design/dev courses go live in September!

I know this post probably belongs somewhere else, but it's SFC that's kept me interested in the coding aspects of games and you poor bastards that I've really enjoyed tormenting ;)

:rwoot:

dave

PS - heh, I'll be damned, and that was my 1000th post ... cool

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: OT but cool (at least for me) news
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:33:39 pm »
Cool !.....now you get to sic your class on the sprites file..... ;D

MUWHAHAHAHA!

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:36:49 pm »
you can through out bits and pieces from SFC as examples of how not to program a game.  (some will work as what to do also, but from what I have seen, alot of not good stuff).

My University has started up one of those also, thinking of finishing my CS degree now.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:51:24 pm »
NW, just remember, all you have to do is change the design of a product by 14% to bypass the copy write laws. Licensing it what you have to worry about, however I am sure you can create a clone of the SFC game written on MS Visual C# 2007 that is both XP and Vista compliant. That would be a 14% change right there.. all while removing the remaining bugs and add the missing weapons, merge the map layers to give a true 16 playable race map, and increase Multiplayer slots.

You could call it Starfleet Command Enhanced : A Tribute to Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.

After that, all you would need to do is either release it free ware, or find a reasonable publisher.

You know the scripting the best of anyone.. the game engine couldn't be that different.. and if you chat with Frey, maybe just maybe you can have a peek into the EAW engine to see where to start.

I would not be opposed if you were to try a project like this.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:14:19 am »
NW, just remember, all you have to do is change the design of a product by 14% to bypass the copy write laws. Licensing it what you have to worry about, however I am sure you can create a clone of the SFC game written on MS Visual C# 2007 that is both XP and Vista compliant. That would be a 14% change right there.. all while removing the remaining bugs and add the missing weapons, merge the map layers to give a true 16 playable race map, and increase Multiplayer slots.

You could call it Starfleet Command Enhanced : A Tribute to Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.

After that, all you would need to do is either release it free ware, or find a reasonable publisher.

You know the scripting the best of anyone.. the game engine couldn't be that different.. and if you chat with Frey, maybe just maybe you can have a peek into the EAW engine to see where to start.

I would not be opposed if you were to try a project like this.

Ahem...

WHY THE HELL HASNT HE ALLREADY HAD A PEEK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :soap:

Thank you.

;D

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:28:26 pm »
One of the few perks of being dept head is that I (within reason) get creative control over the new program  ;D 

Start an online degree program so you can get paid to teach me how to make maps!  ;D :D

Offline [KBF]MuadDib

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:53:36 pm »
Well, after a long push, our department finally got the go-ahead to start a computer game/animation program to run alongside our B.Sc. and diploma.
(We're a little comp sci dept. at Malaspina College, about to become Vancouver Island University.)

I know this post probably belongs somewhere else, but it's SFC that's kept me interested in the coding aspects of games and you poor bastards that I've really enjoyed tormenting ;)

:rwoot:

dave

PS - heh, I'll be damned, and that was my 1000th post ... cool

Congrats!
Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it.

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:53:18 am »
Well, if he comes up with a "new" SFC...

All he should need to do is:

A: convince SVC of ADB to re-license the game
B: contact and convince the current Trek Gaming License holder to publish the game

Cause B will involve re-convincing Paramount to re-license the game...

Bingo, SFC's back... :)

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:42:34 pm »
Well, if he comes up with a "new" SFC...

All he should need to do is:

A: convince SVC of ADB to re-license the game
B: contact and convince the current Trek Gaming License holder to publish the game

Cause B will involve re-convincing Paramount to re-license the game...

Bingo, SFC's back... :)

AS a new release of code would be way to muddy, SVC only owns the right to the game system not to the computer format, and Paramount would, in my opinion, not give the rights cheaply.  So the best bet is from XC.

In my mind it would be simpler to come out with the "New" SFC as an "Update" to EAW adding new functions and fun things, remove GSA and update the directx to directx9.  That way you are riding on the last license, and not making a new one for a new game, you are just updating it to work on the new systems, fix some bugs (like needing to use GSA) etc.  Should be a shorter legal hurdel to jump.  Specially since from what I have read SVC is unhappy with the deal he ended up getting as (not sure which company) one of the companies still owe money that was promised.

But if you update the game and move the weapons, damage, and other charts and things to config files, then we can have the comunity mod the game to many forms without needing to make changes to the main code each time.  Thus a community BSG mod could be put out, Star Trek maybe, more updates to SFC of course.

Not a lawyer so not sure how much of a change still makes an update, and what makes a new game.  Have seen major updates before, and very small changes when a new game was released so I think it is more up to the publisher to define.  So if quicksilver would recognize us as a group that is to maintain and update the old code we should be able to sneak under the wire.  Otherwise it could lead to major costs to get the rights. (but I would be willing to keep donating to help get there).
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Walleye

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:29:19 pm »

Start an online degree program so you can get paid to teach me how to make maps!  ;D :D

Do you have W2K Pro cuz it's easy as pie on W2K Pro(still the best OS out there IMO).