Topic: OT: WTF is up with IE and this forum?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
OT: WTF is up with IE and this forum?
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:25 am »
At work I get some error posting here using firefox (we have a proxy server) so I sometimes have to use IE, but Firefox is MUCH faster.   Any ideas?   Just curious.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: OT: WTF is up with IE and this forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:24 am »
You could try turning off images and javascript and all plugins in IE. If domain policies will let you. I found IE renders pages much faster that way.

A better solution for you might be:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
and
http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

Though finding a working proxy can be a pain in the butt. How is your work proxy setup? What port? Note SSL connections defeat most proxy setups. I had considered setting it up for us now that we have the processor power, but have not been bothered yet (and most users will balk at a self-signed certificate). But putting Dynaverse.net on SSL should defeat most work proxies everywhere.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:29 am »
If you haven't figured it out, microsoft hates this community.  When I come to this forum on ie for vista, it actually crashes.

Offline KBFLordKrueg

• Commander
  • KBF CO
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:55:51 am »
Ever since I started playing I've used IE and don't ever recall any issues viewing the forums, here or on a few other gaming sites.
Donno...
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »
I use both Firefox and IE7 on this site, both on my XP Pro desktop and my Vista Ultimate laptop, and have not experienced any slowdown's or any problems what so ever.
I agree that Firefox is slightly faster at loading D.net, however it still is pretty close to IE in load times.

At work I get some error posting here using firefox
What error are you getting out of curiosity?
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:39 pm »
It's telling me I've already made the post.   It ONLY happens at work so I assume it something to do with the proxy, works fine at home on the same PC.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:35:51 pm »
I have no problems with IE 7 in both Vista and XP.. IE 8 on the other hand, you have to put it into IE 7 compatibility mode for it to work the forum correctly in either OS.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:23:41 pm »
It's telling me I've already made the post.   It ONLY happens at work so I assume it something to do with the proxy, works fine at home on the same PC.

I get that problem from time to time.  I never knew what was causing it.  But the only times I've ever had that problem is when there was something wrong with D.net, such as the recent server death that happened.

When that happens, hit the back button, copy everything that you posted (most times everything you wrote is still there), and then just kill IE, reload it, go back to the thread you were gonna post in, post a new reply, and paste everything into it.

Works for me.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.