Topic: server map question  (Read 2180 times)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
server map question
« on: December 24, 2008, 07:07:43 am »
  A question for those who might be in the know.  At the head of the map file is the list of all races.  If you edit this list down so less races are on it, what happens?  Would you be able to make a map without having to use all the races as this is a different list from the one used to pick playable races?  Has anyone tried changing this part of the mapfile?  I know it is put on by the map editor from another file that holds the data but what does it really do?
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Re: server map question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:40:34 pm »
Nope. Try it and report what happens. My guess is people will die horribly. So good luck.

I usually just add token hexes and homeworlds for all the races I'm not planning on using so at least the server kit won't try and freak out. Remember, people could die here...

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: server map question
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:16:20 pm »
Nope. Try it and report what happens. My guess is people will die horribly. So good luck.

I usually just add token hexes and homeworlds for all the races I'm not planning on using so at least the server kit won't try and freak out. Remember, people could die here...

Might just have to do that.  My guess is that the server kit uses that part of the map file to load up all the races it will use.  The ones in the server file (can't remember which one it is now) is used for playable races.

I did set up a map once that only had four races on it and it did run, what does the server do when it freaks out?

And sometimes people are worth sacrificing when the outcome is so great.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.