Topic: BSG 4.5  (Read 3764 times)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
BSG 4.5
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »
Looks like SciFi is doing recap episodes from 8AM till showing the 1st episode of 4.5 at 10PM, then again at midnight.

The start of this last season kind of snuck up on me. Just got 3.0 as a XMas stocking stuffer, catching up on back story by putting on the subtitles and letting WinMediaPlayer run it at 2x speed. Whole episode in 22 minutes.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
Re: BSG 4.5
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:31 pm »
Don't forget the webisodes.
They also have some hint-based online promotion going on....
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/youwillknowthetruth/index.php?pageid=10
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:35:38 am »
Adama makes for a funny drunk.

Alrighty, now I'm confused. I thought the 13 tribes came to the Colonies first, then the 13th tribe went on to Earth. Now they say it went the other way with a proto-Cylon race first? Eh?

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:25:56 pm »
Adama makes for a funny drunk.

Alrighty, now I'm confused. I thought the 13 tribes came to the Colonies first, then the 13th tribe went on to Earth. Now they say it went the other way with a proto-Cylon race first? Eh?

I have no idea anymore. I'm still pissed off about the 'Planet of the Apes' finish of Earth, but I'm so confused after that I'm not sure what's going on anymore. But if last night is just a rerun of that 'Dallas' episode that was all a dream, I will be VERY PISSED OFF. ;)

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline Sarek

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:41:36 pm »
IIRC, 13 tribes left Kobol, 12 founded the colonies and the 13th went to Earth.  But unless I'm a Cylon, the 13th tribe couldn't have been Cylons, so I don't know WTF is going on.

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.  – John Adams (1814)

www.lp.org

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:28 am »
TOS stated that the 13th Tribe went back to Kobol, lived there for a while, then when Kobol went dark went across the stars.  A portion of them dropped off and formed the Eastern Alliance on Terra, the rest went on to Earth.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:07:26 pm »
I kind of thought that the timeline went something like:

Tribes leave Kobol and go to twelve colonies and thirteenth.
2000 years ago, mech Cylons nuke skinjobs on thirteenth planet.
5 skinjobs download and make their way back to the twelve colonies.
Twelve colonies are starting to war with Cylons.
Somehow 5 skinjobs are integrated, and somehow Cylons start manufacturing skinjob models 1-7.

I also think the resurrection device is still working down on Colony 13.  And someone is down there running it that built the downloaded Starbuck a new Viper. 
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:44:52 pm »
I've always assumed that the Colonies "history" got messed up over the eons, since we know that humans come from Earth originally (right?), and the humans went to Kobol and then on to the 12 Colonies. Now, maybe the names are messed up, and what we call Earth, they would call Kobol, and vice versa, but, more recently, I've become convinced that RD Moore and Eick are sick bastards that are not above rewriting the universe just to mes with our heads and all bets are off.

And I'm still in denial over the ID of the "last" Cylon. Really? Is that it?

This covers a lot of basics, but it's also a pretty comprehensive primer:
http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2009/01/16/bsg_explainer/print.html

It also mentions a few things that seem to have been forgotten, like that human-created plague that wiped out a basestar back in Season 3

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:04:02 pm »
Just watched episode 2 on the Tivo. Interesting plot twists I didn't see coming. And the Admiral finally gets jiggy with Pres. Nice.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »
I've always assumed that the Colonies "history" got messed up over the eons, since we know that humans come from Earth originally (right?), and the humans went to Kobol and then on to the 12 Colonies. Now, maybe the names are messed up, and what we call Earth, they would call Kobol, and vice versa, but, more recently, I've become convinced that RD Moore and Eick are sick bastards that are not above rewriting the universe just to mes with our heads and all bets are off.

1st of all Kobol and that planet with Kara's Viper are not the same. 2nd no where did anything they find say that that was earth afaicr. It may not be earth. 3rd, if that planet was full of cyclons, and was dated to have been destroyed 2000 yrs ago, kobol was also rumored to have been abandoned 2000 years ago... couldnt they all have been cylon? And further... couldnt the humans of BSG be cylon or similar?

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »
Just watched episode 2 on the Tivo. Interesting plot twists I didn't see coming. And the Admiral finally gets jiggy with Pres. Nice.

Even with the bald cap how hot was MM in that scene. Looked like she was getting ready to pop right out of the blanket top.  :o

Watching the "enhanced" version on-line I found it funny to hear that Moore realized he'd painted himself into a corner with the whole "hybrid" issue after the third season ended as I'd called that same thing as a problem with the FF after they were revealed. Not exactly an original solution they came up with but it works.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:58 am »
What No comments from the last few episodes  :o

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:01 am »
What No comments from the last few episodes  :o

only thing being talked about at my house is my son believes a 13th cylon will show up.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 09:26:27 am »
My Tivo missed Ep.3 so I had to watch the recap at the SciFi page. Nice tempo to the story. I like the quip Gaetta makes at the end about his stump; guess he finally was able to scratch that itch.

Cool look at the mechanics of the FTL. Whats is it that Tyrol saw at the end up on the FTL bulkhead? I'm thinking metal fatigue. Perhaps BSG ain't making anymore jumps.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 09:32:19 am »
My Tivo missed Ep.3 so I had to watch the recap at the SciFi page. Nice tempo to the story. I like the quip Gaetta makes at the end about his stump; guess he finally was able to scratch that itch.

Cool look at the mechanics of the FTL. Whats is it that Tyrol saw at the end up on the FTL bulkhead? I'm thinking metal fatigue. Perhaps BSG ain't making anymore jumps.

It looked like a cracked bulkhead.  Will agree probably will have to stop the FTL's
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 01:52:28 am »
All I can say about the last episode was WOW!!!!!!
So the Centurion's are the ones who came up with "One God" :o
And who is Dannel  :D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »
Appearantly Daniel never made it off the production line before Cavill destroyed the lot.

I'm thinking the only way to tie in Starbucks reapperance is that maybe Ellen sent the original Daniel back to Earth to hide out, and whilst there Daniel (he/she/it) used the dead Starbuck as template for a new Starbuck.  Or maybe Starbuck is Daniel. Most likely I'm just going to be happily guessing this out right to the end.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 06:51:01 pm »
OK, I think this is the deal so far.....

1) Humans learn (steal) the secret of creating life (AI, ie Cylons) from the "Lords of Kobal" while on Kobal
2) 13th tribe (all Cylons) leave for Earth, 12 tribes leave for the Colonies. Why??
3) 13th Tribe settles on "Earth", learns or becomes able to reproduce, and resurrection tech falls into disuse..and is forgotten
4) The "Final 5" are Earth cylons that re-discover resurrection tech, anticipating bad things.....
5) Earth gets nuked (by newly created Centurions made by the skinjob 13th tribe?), and the Final 5 resurrect in a ship in orbit
6) Final 5 leave (no FTL) to warn the 12 tribes of humanity of the dangers of not treating any AI constructs well......
7) Final 5 arrive at the colonies 2000 years later and too late, during the 1st Cylon War (Colonial-created Cylons are trying to make their own skinjobs...can only make hybrids)
8) Final 5 convince the Centurions to stop the war, in exchange for creating skinjobs & resurrection ability
9) Final 5 create the skinjobs (models 1-8)
10) Model#1 (Cavil, or John) corrupts and destroys the Daniel line, and captures the Final 5
11) Cavil resurrects the Final 5 with altered memories, then dumps them on the Colonies. Other models are altered to not know of the 5.
12) Events of the Miniseries.....
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »
Interesting stuff this week.

But best part was the cartoon at the end credits when Adama slugs the producer and says "Gracias".