Topic: Ok BYO Comp Gurus. I need some help  (Read 3162 times)

Iaidoka

Ok BYO Comp Gurus. I need some help
« on: March 14, 2003, 10:18:26 am »
I have a new drive IBM 120 GXP drive that Windows XP seems unwilling to use DMA on.  This is not too big a problem for SFC, but it is a problem for some other things I'm trying to do(nameley video capture from a mini-dv camcorder).

Here's the setup.

Motherboard - Abit AB-KD7-G
Hard Drive - IBM 120GXP
OS - Windows XP
Video Card - Elsa GForce 2 MX (Yeah I know I need to upgrade).
RAM -2x256MB DDR PC2700

The device manager properties for the Primary IDE controller shows DMA If Available, but the current mode is PIO.  The hard drive is the only thing on that controller.  The CD is on the secondary IDE controller.  According to Pinnacle Studio 8 DV, the data transfer rate for the hard drive is around 2800 KB/sec.  This drive should be capable of up to 48MB/sec.

When I built the machine, I mistakenly placed an ATA 33 drive on the same controller as the slave to the new hard drive.  I've since taken that out of the case altogether.

I need a data transfer rate of at least 4500 KB/sec to capture video.  

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 10:56:57 am by Iaidoka »

Rob Cole

Re: Ok BYO Comp Gurus. I need some help
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 10:23:35 am »
Check your BIOS settings and make sure it is set for the correct drive speed.
Also try flashing a new version of your BIOS if the above is not the problem.

Iaidoka

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 10:26:23 am »
Yeah that was the first thing I did, but for the life of me I could not find a setting for drive speed.  I'll check that again when I get home from work.

Rob Cole

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 10:28:10 am »
Look for what the ATA setting is,if it is below ATA100 this is the problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Rob Cole »

WillWeasel

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 10:28:23 am »
ok lets get past the basics.

I assume ya have allready checked out the Bios settings and made sure the drive is set to LBA and/or auto and not Large.

I understand this uses a Intel Chipset for ata 100.

I would recomend ya hit the intel site and check to see if there is an updated driver for the controller. I do tend to doubt that however being that it's a Xp system.
Also check for a Bios update on the Abit site.

Get back to me and i'll try to help ya if at all possible.  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 10:29:49 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a special IDE cable that supports ATA66 and above or something? Also, I think the drive needs to be set to 'Cable Select', rather than 'master' or 'slave', just something I read somewhere... don't know if it will help or not.

Iaidoka

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 10:53:50 am »
OK I know that during the boot cycle where it lists all the drive info on the screen the setting is ATA100 and I'm pretty sure LBA is displayed as well.  The setting for the drive is all auto in the bios.

I have not tried putting it on cable select.  I'll give that a try when I get home as well.  Thanks again guys, and lady.  You've been far more helpful than Pinnacle Tech support.  Sent me a canned answer they did.  Obviously ignored pretty much all the info I sent them too.

EDIT - I fixed the link in the first post for the Motherboard.  It was pointing at the wrong motherboard page.  Here's the correct link
http://www.motherboards.com/catalog/product_info.php?category_id=4&index_id=7&subcategory_id=7&products_id=17489&
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 10:57:51 am by Iaidoka »

WillWeasel

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 11:04:24 am »
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a special IDE cable that supports ATA66 and above or something? Also, I think the drive needs to be set to 'Cable Select', rather than 'master' or 'slave', just something I read somewhere... don't know if it will help or not.  

"most" motherboards will tell you if yer running ata 66+ capable drive w/o a 80 conducter ide cable. Ie - drive is ata66 capable but 80 conducter cable not installed.

but just in case make sure its the 80 conducter and not just the 40 pin 40 conducter cable.
O and also doka have ya hit the windowsupdate site? cant say i've seen it have ide controller update but cant hurt to look.  

Iaidoka

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 03:58:28 pm »
Status report

Ok I've swapped cables for one I'm positive is 80 pin.
Gone through the bios.  DMA is enabled for the controller.
I checked the bios updates for the board and there are no fixes listed for the ide controllers.

It appears that the motherboard recognizes the drive as an ATA 100, but windows seems to disagree.  I am currently installing XP service pack 1.  I'll flip through the other 30 odd updates.    

The saga continues.

The Postman

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 05:40:34 pm »
Have you gone to VIA's web site? Your front side bus speed is selectable for your chipset.  Here  is the link to VIA's page on your chipset. Also make sure your memory settings are correct in your Bios. That will raise hell with your transfer rate. Also this a raid board, Is your IDE controller looking for a second HD to make up the band width your missing?  Also do you have the Latest 4 in 1 driver from VIA? If not you might want to look  here . I run VIA's P4X266 chipset, the 4 in 1 drivers and the bios can make a HUGE difference in how your machine will perform.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The Postman »

Iaidoka

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 08:22:51 am »
Ok an update.  

I've installed the latest 4 in 1 drivers to no avail.

Pretty sure the BIOS is set right.  FSB shows as 266(which is correct for my 1800+).  The memory clock speed shows at 333.  I've left the memory settings pretty much at their defaults aside from changing the clock speed.

The board does have a raid controller, but apparently only for the Serial ATA controller which I'm not using.

Iaidoka

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 08:46:36 am »
Victory at last!

I used the seriallel adapter that came with the motherboard to hook the drive up to the serial ATA controller instead of the IDE controller.  That fixed the problem, or at least gave me a workaround.

Thanks for all the help.

Rob Cole

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 09:43:55 pm »
Glad to hear it doka.