Topic: =/\= first trek film footage is here!  (Read 4271 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
Re: =/\= first trek film footage is here!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:44:08 am »
and here is the trailer

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:48:21 am »

:thumbsup:

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:42:44 pm »
official website is up now!

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

i am still apprehensive about this film...
we'll see i guess

personally i laugh my ass off that the first trailer says "christmas 2008"

then in a smaller font in trailer 2 "may 2009"

lol uh huh!

Offline Fedman NCC-3758

• Brother Federico the Feducator & Lord High Mokus
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:09:20 pm »

I'm somewhat concerned with the way Kirk appears in the second trailer.   He looks and acts like a pure space Jock.   Not the serious captain of a starship. Someone who is responsible for hundreds of lives under his command.

Watch Balance of Terror.  That to me is the quintessential James T Kirk.

The Star Spangled Banner bring hither,
 O're Columbia's true sons let it wave.
May the wreaths they have won never wither,
 Nor it's stars cease to shine on the brave.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:01 am »
Some of that comes from the novels. However, even then the novels where more Teenage angst, then Juvenal Trouble.

He was a head strong rebel in his younger days, and resented his father a lot. It took him years to grow out of "My daddy sent me and the family to a planet to starve to death" to the responsible Kirk we have now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »
So...

They released four vid clips to the press for further analysis and judgment.

Would love to see them.  STOP READING NOW IF YOU WANT TO BE 100% SURPRISED BY THE JJTREK!!! 

However, since I am not a journalist...  I recommend this article:

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/11/abrams-previews.html

*** written by John Scott Lewinski ***

What can be safely presumed after watching the preview footage? Romulan villain Nero (played by Eric Bana) has deliberately changed the past -- perhaps in an effort to purge history of that bane of all nasty aliens, James T. Kirk (Chris Pine). As a result, Kirk grows up without a dad and develops into a first-class space goof. Still, he finds his way to Starfleet Academy on the encouragement of the fatherly Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood).

Kirk remains a stellar idiot, despite obvious aptitude, and runs afoul of Spock (Zachary Quinto) and everybody else except Leonard "Bones" McCoy (Karl Urban), who sneaks Kirk aboard the Enterprise on its maiden voyage.

If Nero is to be stopped and the Federation, the Planet Vulcan and Kirk's future are to be saved, the Romulans must be foiled and Kirk must find a way to get his butt into the center seat of the Enterprise's frozen-yogurt-shop-style bridge. Fortunately, the older, wiser Spock Classic (Leonard Nimoy) is on hand to aid Kirk and to act as our ambassador to the new time line -- as though telling us to relax and accept that change is inevitable.

As for the look of the new set design, the Enterprise exterior is close enough to the original. But the interior seems overpopulated, disorganized and hyperkinetic. The engineering department looks like the guts of a World War II battleship after being colorized by Ikea. The bridge looks like an old Mac iBook, spreading that milky white "Barbie's Malibu Dreamhouse" feel everywhere. We'll have to see if anyone explains how the altered time line led Starfleet's military designers to look to 21st-century West Hollywood boutiques for their interior decor concepts.

In the end, is it Star Trek?

That depends on how you answer one question: Was Star Trek entertaining because of the exploits and interactions of characters of Kirk, Spock, McCoy and company, or did you enjoy those characters because of the veteran actors playing them?

If it's the latter, Abrams' kids can't pull off that sort of effortless chemistry and gravitas. They're too busy running around and yelling. If it's the former, Kirk is still a man of action, Spock is still brilliant and McCoy and Scotty are still effective comic relief.

Abrams' vision is as much Star Trek as your eye will let it be.

Kind of gave themselves a canon-out with "Spock Classic" explaining the whole movie away as a corrupted timeline.

So, the Trek we have grown up with remains unscathed, in time-travel theory.

Wow.

Maybe there is a timeline where Taldren did NOT fall.

Good times.  Gonna watch this. 

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 05:11:28 pm »
...sigh...

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 12:47:10 am »
some cool new pics courtesy of starkiller...

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:51:12 am »
That second shot is awesome, especially the lighting. Too bad it's not the Trek 11 Enterprise (unless I am really mistaken).

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 01:22:57 am »
That second shot is awesome, especially the lighting. Too bad it's not the Trek 11 Enterprise (unless I am really mistaken).

You're not. Paramound and Abrams should've double-bent over backwards getting their hands on it though.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 11:46:57 pm »
Wait... the second pic is NOT an actual of the "new" Enterprise?

*sigh*

Stoney you fokking liar!!!!!

Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 08:39:03 pm »

you are mistaken. that is the new enterprise from the movie. if you look closely you can see the ncc-17011 on the dish.

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 10:16:01 pm »

you are mistaken. that is the new enterprise from the movie. if you look closely you can see the ncc-17011 on the dish.

Actually it isn't.  Pictures of the "ship" are up on the net. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:46:19 am »

And that children is "denial". Can you say "denial"? I knew you could.  ;)
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."