Topic: GW Basic  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
GW Basic
« on: December 17, 2021, 10:17:19 pm »
I missed it but Microsoft open sourced it a year ago so If you can find it it is now a legal download.   I couldn't find it so if you do please provide a link. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: GW Basic
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 12:44:56 pm »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 02:38:07 pm »
I was looking for a precompiled version that appears to be source code only unless I missed something.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 02:50:07 pm »
I was looking for a precompiled version that appears to be source code only unless I missed something.

the program is a 16-bit DOS executable, that uses processor instructions no longer supported in modern, 64-bit CPU’s / operating systems.
how are you planning to run it?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 03:06:56 pm »
i added GW-Basic 3.22 as an attachment bellow.
i'm able to run it in dox-box.
you can find its user guide online, for example, in https://hwiegman.home.xs4all.nl/gw-man/index.html

hope it helps.

i'm a big fan of its successor QB-Basic  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 03:37:53 pm »

the program is a 16-bit DOS executable, that uses processor instructions no longer supported in modern, 64-bit CPU’s / operating systems.
how are you planning to run it?

It works in DOSBOX on Linux (which is what I use). 

Also of course there are others who might want it for other environments (even FreeDos). 

Thanks.

QBasic is good but some old software may not run under it being too tied to GW-Basic. Too bad QBasic didn't show up much earlier.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 03:16:59 pm »
I have the thick ring binder GW Basic manual here.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!