Topic: What Remains  (Read 9562 times)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: What Remains
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 08:21:06 pm »
Damn, man. That there was a story. Very core scifi, very atypical klingon, and very f*cking good!

I'm glad you posted the last in one whack! Made it so much better. Your latest tales have much more meat to them. I came away feeling better that I had read this one, even though it was so short. It's like one of those movies you find on TV. You see it listed on the guide screen and say to yourself "Well, that sounds kinda cool..." Then you watch it and it seems like you came away slightly better for it. Like you gained something you didn't have before.

Anyway. Keep it coming. Looking forward to more La'ra!

--thu guv!

[btw...anyone else getting this site in blue and white rather than the normal black BG?]
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 01:56:53 pm »
That was really nice. It does kinda give the warm fuzzies, doesn't it? Doing something nice for someone because it would please them. You don't get anything tangible out of it, but some intangibles are better than most material things, no?

I liked your John M. Ford reference, the (inevitable) swipe at the Freds, and Klingon philosophy. You express it better than most.

As the Guv said, this was very tight. A good story.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 11:02:58 pm »
Wow...

The Canadian-Scot has finally been roused... :D

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 10:57:15 am »
I like it.  Almost love it.  I loved it until the epilog.  The change of point-of-view and the repetition of the alien's success felt extraneous.  Other than that, it's a story that Sarl Kagan would have eaten up.

Kadh, who remembers that as one of his favorite TNG episodes. 
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 01:42:11 pm »
Much like a couple of other stories I've written, I was iffy about the epilogue too, but also just like some other stories I've written, opinion on it from people other than myself seems divided about 50/50.

I would flip a coin, but I usually leave it in when I post here, hoping I'll get some feedback either way.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 01:11:18 am »
I have read this finally, and I disagree with it being atypical to Klingons. Perhaps it is atypical to some stereotypes, but stereotypes are usually created by a vocal minority. It is also especially Klingon in that La'ra sympathizes with Igyosha. To any true Klingon, being forgotten is a fate worse than death, as death is merely the release of a warrior from his or her duties.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »
I have read this finally, and I disagree with it being atypical to Klingons. Perhaps it is atypical to some stereotypes, but stereotypes are usually created by a vocal minority. It is also especially Klingon in that La'ra sympathizes with Igyosha. To any true Klingon, being forgotten is a fate worse than death, as death is merely the release of a warrior from his or her duties.

I think what the Guv meant was that this isn't generally the type of story you see Klingons portrayed in.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 01:44:23 am »
Still think you'd make better eps than most actual trek writers. Between you and the guv' we'd actually have a Klingon trek series that's worthwhile (and WITHOUT Timeline hopping sh*t). Mix in the rest of the gifted here and we'd have a multi p.o.v. super serie
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 04:58:11 am »
A welcome necrothread without the raising of I'd have missed out on a really enjoyable story. Nicely done.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 08:34:58 pm »
Ya' know Vipre, you do have a point...there's a lot of stuff on here, but it's buried.  I can think of several stories that deserve a bump.