Topic: Ares substitute proposal.  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Ares substitute proposal.
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:49:44 pm »
Link to full article

Proponents of Jupiter are hoping that the Obama administration is willing to keep an open mind. The engineers behind Jupiter Direct say their plan would be faster and cheaper because it uses a new configuration of proven space shuttle hardware. To replace Ares I, the Jupiter Direct advocates want to use a single-stage launch vehicle, Jupiter 120. The heart of the system is a modified external tank from the shuttle powered by two RS-68s, the reliable liquid-fuel engine currently used in the Delta IV satellite launcher. The initial kick is provided by two four-segment solid rocket boosters lifted directly from the shuttle.

The shuttle was designed with the intent of components being reconfigured like this. 

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Re: Ares substitute proposal.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 06:53:24 pm »
WHAT?! Use existing hardware? Where is the profit in money & jobs in that approach?

Look for the current tooling to be destroyed if this alternate gains any traction.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:36:05 am »
I know the shuttle isn't cost effective for most missions, but going back to capsules seems like a step backwards.  I really wish they hadn't cancelled the Venturestar program.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:36:19 am »
I know the shuttle isn't cost effective for most missions, but going back to capsules seems like a step backwards.  I really wish they hadn't cancelled the Venturestar program.

Also the DCX was promising.  As an example it had an explosion in flight and was able to abort the mission and land. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:51 am »
Well, as Bigelow succeeded with NASA discarded Inflatable Tech, perhaps Blue Origin will do the same with the DCX tech?
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians