Topic: Help needed with Adobe Flash Player and Active X  (Read 4266 times)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Help needed with Adobe Flash Player and Active X
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:35 am »
Have a bit of a cluster F trying to use Adobe Flash Player. Started when You-Tube would no longer work and kept linking to an install of Flash Player, which wouldn't work unless an Adobe Active X installer was allowed, which fails to install properly, and if I try by download and then offline the "not the latest version" warning halts the execution even thought the version is direct from the Adobe site. Round and Round I go.

Anybody out there able to sum up the what and how of Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acitve X, and the latest version/availability?

For now I  just You-Tube thru Google. But starting to notice some site are coming up blank graphics/videos even though they worked before. And of course I don't recall making any changes recently. :huh:
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: Help needed with Adobe Flash Player and Active X
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:38:36 pm »
To Use Firefox?

Or alternately IE if you have problems with that?

Or then go to Safari?

In otherwords, I think trying to use another browser as a work around could help maybe.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:26:15 pm »
first uninstall flash player

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

restart system

reinstall flash player

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=DXLUJ

hope this helps
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:40:55 pm »
I'll give that a try. And this bit of info from the 1st link
Due to recent enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player installers, you can now remove the player only by using the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller.
, that doesn't sound like an enhancement to me.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:18:32 pm »
Flash is Macromedia and Adobe's revenge for all the pirated copies of Freehand and Photoshop out there. ;D

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:05:47 pm »
Alas, no joy. Got rid of the old install with the Adobe unistaller, ran all the way through an install of ver 10.0.32.18, get error message "failed to register". Ran through their forums and it seems its a known problem with hit or miss solutions.

Oddly when I just ran my cursor over the Install file it shows it as ver 10.0.22.87? Downloaded again from their site (listing as ver 10.0.32.18) but same thing.

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:34:59 am »
Maybe it is IE version? which IE are you using.. I can verify Flash is working properly on IE 8, at least on my system..maybe refresh / reinstall IE.. or maybe even run a Spybot scan of your system to see if something infected your browser?

also :

Note: The uninstaller cannot remove files currently in use.

If you have any instances of the player open in your web browsers, instant messaging clients, stand-alone SWFs, or projectors, then the uninstaller will complete but some files may not be deleted. If this occurs, then close all of your applications and run the uninstaller again to ensure that all files are removed.

You may want to make sure that Windows or Yahoo or Skype messengers are not auto starting with your computer (You can disable in the start up tab in MSCONFIG launched from the Run command bar in your start button menu).

Also attempt to do this with your AV disabled.

then if that doesn't work, get Hijack This from Synaptics and run a scan and post the results.. I will see if anything is causing incompatibility.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:09:34 pm »
I'm using 7.0.5730.13

I closed all the other apps running in the tray before the install, inclluding Avira and Spybot Sd Resident.

I'll get a scan from Hijack and post it. And the results are:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:13:25 PM, on 8/28/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Comcast\Desktop Doctor\bin\sprtsvc.exe
e:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
E:\Program Files\WinFast\WFTVFM\WFWIZ.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe
E:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe
E:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe
E:\Program Files\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\LinksysAgent.exe
E:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
E:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe
E:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
e:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
O2 - BHO: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - E:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinFast Schedule] e:\Program Files\WinFast\WFTVFM\WFWIZ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "E:\Program Files\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoTransfer] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Transfer\TiVoTransfer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoTransfer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoNotify] "E:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TivoServer] "E:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe" /service /registry /auto:TivoServer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EasyLinkAdvisor] "E:\Program Files\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\LinksysAgent.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] e:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TomTomHOME.exe] "E:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Shockwave Updater] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\SHOCKW~1\SWHELP~2.EXE -Update -1100465 -"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Comcast Install 1.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)" -"http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/games/teentitans/battleblitz/index.html"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-343818398-1979792683-725345543-1005\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'Kathy')
O4 - S-1-5-21-343818398-1979792683-725345543-1005 Startup: AutorunsDisabled (User 'Kathy')
O4 - S-1-5-21-343818398-1979792683-725345543-1005 User Startup: AutorunsDisabled (User 'Kathy')
O4 - Global Startup: AutorunsDisabled
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://E:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - AutorunsDisabled - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - E:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - E:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {4CCA4E80-9259-11D9-AC6E-444553544200} - http://h30155.www3.hp.com/ediags/dd/install/HPInstallMgr_v01_4.cab
O16 - DPF: {7876E4A5-78B7-4020-B08F-C960A1ED54C9} (WebWatch Class) - http://192.168.1.103/Ctl/WinWebPush.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (ddoctorv2) (sprtsvc_ddoctorv2) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Comcast\Desktop Doctor\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind AE Service (StarWindServiceAE) - Rocket Division Software - e:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindServiceAE.exe
O23 - Service: TiVo Beacon (TivoBeacon2) - TiVo Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared\Beacon\TiVoBeacon.exe
O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - E:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

--
End of file - 9273 bytes

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:18:38 am »
It seems like there are problems with flash and IE8. It seems pretty consistent across the web that embedded youtube videos are failing for people with IE8. I have tried XHTML 1.0 compliant and non-compliant code and all browsers work except IE. e.g.:

The flash object seems to sort of load, but does not work in IE8 but works in Opera, Iron and Firefox. I bet it's some kind of DRM in the IE flash plugin that the Opera/Mozilla/Chrome flash plugin does not have. Or perhaps it's related to that lawsuit with the "click to activate" outcome?  ::)

P.S. Holy crap, that Nokia is quite the device. All it needs is a remote desktop client!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:40:26 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:45:37 am »
Wait now, I just updated the IE8 flash to 11.5 and when I right click the flash object and get the version it tells me I am running version 7! And that page at adobe tells me that version 10 is the current version. Something is badly messed here. I guess I gotta do the uninstall reboot, install reboot routine... shame because I have a huge desktop session going that I have been running all week...

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 09:05:18 am »
Oh that was shockwave 11.5 I accepted an install of in IE8. Funny how easy it was to accept the wrong product...

Anyway, I uninstalled shockwave and flash and rebooted, then I first used IE to install flash, then I used firefox to install flash, now it appears to work in both browsers. Hurray!

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »
Finally got it to work.

Installed IE8, which of cource wouldn't complete the install correctly and left some link to IE Troubleshooting webpage which actually did correct the problem on its' own. But then any page which needed "Active X"(?) would be shut down by IE after starting to load to "protect the system".

Took several tries at shutting down all other apps, uninstalling Flashplayer, re-booting, shutting down all apps, and then re-installing Flashplayer before flashlpayer would work at all.