Topic: ‘Star Trek’ is popcorn perfection  (Read 24375 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: ‘Star Trek’ is popcorn perfection
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2009, 11:38:52 am »
I liked it, it was good.  I had a few nitpicks.

There is no way a supernova could have been the reason for this.  Its obvious that it wasn't the sun for romulus as that would only give them 8 minutes to solve the problem.  Yet it couldn't be one further away because that would have taken years (cloest to us is like 4 lightyears, so i use that as a measuring stick).  Thus my problem with it. 

I didn't like the deck layouts, If they wanted old looking they could have just taken any navy ships deck layout and use it.

Scotty was way to jovial, didn't like him as comic relief

Thats about it

Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline SPQRPardek

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2009, 04:28:45 pm »
 Yea i would give it a 6 or 7 out of  10 :huh: i guess Romulan mining ships are to be feared :laugh:

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2009, 07:12:36 pm »
Yea i would give it a 6 or 7 out of  10 :huh: i guess Romulan mining ships are to be feared :laugh:

just got back.  Not a bad show.  I enjoyed it mostly.

As for the mining ship being feared, it is from 100 years in the future, so the shields of the feds in the movie are no where as strong as the ones in the future.  I also figure the massive missle attacks of the mining ship is from missiles designed to destroy big asteroids for mining.  The reason that not as many phasers were being used on that huge ship.

As for Kirk getting command, it made sense as manly the whole crew was cadets except for Spock and Pike, anyone who might have had some rank were not command track.

So overall, enjoyable way to spend the time.  Will see it again, either own or rent, not in theatre.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2009, 08:20:14 pm »
If you read the Star Trek Countdown comics, it actually fills in a lot of the gaps.  The mining ship has been borgified and those missiles were indeed mining tools, for as much sense as any of that makes.

As for the supernova destroying the galaxy stuff, my presumption is that it was an artificially induced phenomenon which the comics back up to a degree.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »
If you read the Star Trek Countdown comics, it actually fills in a lot of the gaps.  The mining ship has been borgified and those missiles were indeed mining tools, for as much sense as any of that makes.

As for the supernova destroying the galaxy stuff, my presumption is that it was an artificially induced phenomenon which the comics back up to a degree.

mining tools make sense actaully.  You use those multi-warhead missles to break up large asteroids into small parts that can be taken into the ship and processed.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2009, 05:00:56 pm »
Maybe we could call it:  Star Trek:  The Unoriginal

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/all/Star_Trek_Steals_From_Star_Wars/#244675
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2009, 10:05:02 pm »
On the Impulse power one you have to recall that Trek has "Impulse power" and "Impulse drive" as two different things the same for "Warp power" and "Warp drive".  The Romulan ship may well have had "Warp Drive" powered by what the Federation considered "Impulse power".   Some sources seem to view Impulse power as a fusion reactor and warp power as Matter/Antimatter reactor.  Assuming the map was to scale the Warbird was likely traveling at 1/3 the speed of the Enterprise.

Nah, it was a flub.  All that other stuff "we" made up later in order to rationalize what was said onscreen.

It's OK; I *like* the tactical warp explanation SFB came up with. 

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »
I tend to view the statement in "Balance of Terror" as this:

The Romulans HAVE Warp drive.  Otherwise how do they become a galactic empire?  However, the Warp Drive they have is insufficient to power their starships, therefore they rely heavily on Impulse Power.  Which on a Federation Starship would simply be reserve power.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2009, 10:13:43 pm »
Personally I found this film to be more in the spirit of the original series than any movie or series managed to do since. They needed to freshen it up, and take a new direction, not try to meet the impossible task of meeting the standards of what "true Trek" is to a bunch of people that will happily argue for hours over the placement or color of a deflector dish. Or simply remaking the original series.

I saw it today, and I think your paragraph sums things up well.  This was a good Trek movie.  It was, in fact, a good movie.

I'm old enough to have seen (though not well remember) TOS  when it was first on the air live.  Despite altering of pieces of Trek lore that the Romulan's appeareance shouldn't have altered (ships built on land, Spock making out with Uhura) this movie was much more true the spirit of TOS than TNG was.  Thus, other than STII and STVI, I prefer this movie to anything else Trek that's been produced since 1969.

And, it took those damn brow ridges off the Romulans and made them look like Romulans again.  I can forgive a movie that does that for an awful lot of other meddling.   ;)

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2009, 01:35:25 am »
"And, it took those damn brow ridges off the Romulans and made them look like Romulans again.  I can forgive a movie that does that for an awful lot of other meddling.   ;)"

Good lord!  Seriously?  Damnit!  This movie just jumped up 10,000 notches without my even seeing it (does that count?  i know I'm not allowed to have an opinion without seeing it yet).  I can't believe they actually did it.  I heard about the tatoos, and I could see that happening (just look at how fast they have become a part of our culture, notice we have no brow ridges, though ;))  Man, I'm going to have to drag my sorry butt out to the theatre soon I guess.

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2009, 10:14:12 am »
"And, it took those damn brow ridges off the Romulans and made them look like Romulans again.  I can forgive a movie that does that for an awful lot of other meddling.   ;)"

Good lord!  Seriously?  Damnit!  This movie just jumped up 10,000 notches without my even seeing it (does that count?  i know I'm not allowed to have an opinion without seeing it yet).  I can't believe they actually did it.  I heard about the tatoos, and I could see that happening (just look at how fast they have become a part of our culture, notice we have no brow ridges, though ;))  Man, I'm going to have to drag my sorry butt out to the theatre soon I guess.

Yes, I was *very* pleased with this.   ;D

I wouldn't worry too much about the tatoos.  They may or may not be popular in Nero's "current" timeline  Romulan, culture; I don't think we get enough to know.  Without giving much away, these guys are basically roughnecks in space.  Seeing them covered in common tatoos is like sailing out to a deepwater oil rig and finding all the workers there sharing common tatoos.

There is a quick scene of Romulans on Romulus, and I don't think they had tatoos.  But I'm not sure.  I don't remember them being present, but I wasn't looking for that at the time.  I'll have to watch again.

And, as you say, that sort of cultural thing shifts easily from generation to generation, so even if Romulus was covered with taoos it doesn't bother me as much as the brow ridges.  Growing new bone matter is a might harder to explain.   ;)

-S'Cipio

Gorn Dragon Templar

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2009, 10:36:56 am »
what I seen about the tatoos was they are a sign of grief over the loss of their homeworld.  Culture had temp paint on tatoos for morning a loss of a loved one.  As they wear off, your over the course of the morning period.  But since the planet was loss, the morning would never end so they had them tatooed on instead.