Topic: The New Star Trek Movie  (Read 6806 times)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: The New Star Trek Movie
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 07:15:30 pm »
I was hopeful, and I enjoyed it.  It was a good action flick, but I think that's about it.  It was original, but yet, not.  I'm torn about the future of this though.  It's very clear now that the series and movies I grew up with and continue to enjoy are over forever.  Voyager I could do without, but it's sad to know that there will be no continuation of the series I miss so much. 

It's very bittersweet.  Maybe too bitter.

I agree with you on that, but I think any series or movies based off this one will be enjoyable.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Spartan-039

• Master of the Tau Empire sept, Vor'kan
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 04:34:50 pm »
My older brother in Iraq saw the pirated version and said that it was good. But I'll see for myself.... wait. It's an alternate timeline?!?!?!?!
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 04:52:37 pm »
Hey Spartan, good to see ya Buddy. Don't want to give anything away, but everything is wrote into the Movie to explain an Alternate Trek (Think of it as another universe like Mirror Mirror)

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 06:20:59 am »
Wow. I knew that there was an alternate timeline, (found out via the PS2 game Star Trek: Elite Force) but I didn't know that they were making a movie about it.
The Greater Good can not be stopped, it can only be delayed. Submit to it and be free.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:58 am »
I have that game for the PC, but haven't played it in a long long time. I might have to load it back up this weekend.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:50 am »
If I recall correctly, EF1 had the hazard team board a cobbled together structure that had an Imperial Constitution Class Starship as its main ship.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
Pretty much. That mission was a PAIN. Each of the three enemies were different in their fighting styles and it got on my nerves. But I didn't realize I was on an alternate timeline ship until my older brother, before he left, pointed it out. The first time I ent through it, I was confused because I thought I knew it was a Federation ship, but when I saw the sword and earth symbol.... well, confusion is the best word for how I felt. But I didn't pay it too much thought.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 04:28:06 pm »
Whenever Star Trek dealt with an alternate universe usually the culprit was 'The Mirror Universe'. It was introduced in 'Mirror, Mirror' of the Original series, where the Enterprise was an Imperial warship of conquest and the crew was very....cuththroat in day-to-day operations. One had to watch his back since rank ascension was faster through assasination.

DS9 capitalized on this idea in some episodes I haven't seen, and Enterprise did a few set in the mirror universe. Presumably the ship in Elite Force was a cruiser that somehow came through the mirror universe and ended up in the Beta quadrant. Given how random Star Trek is on things, this doesn't come as a surprise. Still, we never found out what ship it was...

And now that a 'new' alternate universe has opened up, what are the possibilities of crossing between the mirror and old universes?

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:38 pm »
And now that a 'new' alternate universe has opened up, what are the possibilities of crossing between the mirror and old universes?

SPOILER
SPOILER

If it could have Shatner appear as Kirk's older self from the future just like Nimoy did for Spock... :smitten:

SPOILER

Offline Spartan-039

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 11:08:13 am »
What ever happens, I want to see the movie. It BETTER be good or I'll hurt someeone for ruining it.