Topic: "George" Kirk to have a busy year...  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
"George" Kirk to have a busy year...
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:44:28 am »
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00024333.html

Lead actor for "Thor" may have been found in Chris Hemsworth. The 25-year-old who was recently seen portraying Captain Kirk's father, George, in "Star Trek" has been reported to be in final talks with Marvel Studios to star as the hammer-wielding superhero in the upcoming comic books adaptation.

Words are, Chris will be playing the part in both "Thor" and Marvel's other superhero movie, "The Avengers". Chris had previously read for the part but wasn't given a test because a casting director had passed on him early on. His competition for the role included "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" star Channing Tatum, "True Blood" actor Alexander Skarsgard and his own brother Liam Hemsworth.

An adaptation of the comic book franchise launched in 1962, "Thor" will be set in modern time. It tells the story of a Norse god, Thor, who develops a protective affinity for humans after his father Odin banishes him to Earth, in order to teach him a lesson in humility. Natalie Portman has been linked to take the female lead. Paramount Pictures will distribute this superhero film, which script is provided by screenwriter Mark Protosevich, in theaters across the U.S. on May 20, 2011.

Chris Hemsworth was known for his role in Australian TV series "Home and Away". In 2008, he landed the role of George Samuel Kirk Sr. for 2009-released "Star Trek". Set to star alongside Eric Bana in "A Perfect Getaway", the Melbourne-born actor has recently scored himself another big-budgeted movie, "Red Dawn". In the remake of 1984 war film, he will take on the lead character, stepping into Patrick Swayze's role named Jed Eckert.

-------------------

The Red Dawn caught my eye here. As much as most of us Hate remakes, I have a feeling we will be talking about this in years to come.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
Re: "George" Kirk to have a busy year...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:17 pm »
Why the hell does it seem like there is nothing original coming out of hollywood anymore?  does everything have to be a remake?  Jebus.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:06:58 am »

I've loved the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Iron Man movies.  I even liked Daredevil.  I didn't hate either Hulk movie.  In this modern batch, Marvel properties have done very well on film.

However, I just can't see a Thor movie working.  Nor can I see an Avengers movie working.  Both would be filled with characters that are just going to seem silly.  (My opinion.) 

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:15:51 pm »
They're also rebooting both the Predator and Alien franchises for those who love the remakes.
(Apparently very,very, early rumours have a Team of Predators vs a Special Forces team, as the idea that *one* creature could take on a  Sf team was thought to be silly or something.)

Red Dawn remake will be awesomeness. I can't wait until it comes out and all you Yanks get yer country spanked again,until a team of heroic high school students shows you the way.
(Stilll amused how The Russkies in the Original film didn't dare mess with Canada)

As for Thor, I can see it working, but I'm not sure how the Avengers film will work, I can (barely) believe in the comics how someone like Captain America can play on the same team as Hulk/Thor etc, not sure how it will work on the big screen.

Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:35:30 pm »
as the idea that *one* creature could take on a  Sf team was thought to be silly or something.)

Yeah, really.  A member of a race with technology hundreds of years ahead of our own being able to defeat an entire special forces team is as laughable as a relatively small group of soldiers with Maxim guns subduing the natives in large parts of 19th century Africa.

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:52:02 pm »
Hooah!
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.