Topic: Complete removal problem with SFC VII  (Read 2329 times)

Offline CknKllr

• Ensign
Complete removal problem with SFC VII
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »
OK, So dig this.  I uninstalled the program but it still shows in the Remove/Add program from the control panel.

Is there anyway to get this off of here?  It appears that the file was actually removed from Programs.

Help!  Please!  Need some good tech info.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Complete removal problem with SFC VII
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:35:03 pm »
SFC VII ?

We only went up to SFC 3.

Anyways, You might try running regedit, and doing a manual deletion of any SFC files you have there.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline CknKllr

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »
Starfleet Command Volume II  Empires at War.

I will try the Regedit.  Search for files didn't come up with anything.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:05:51 pm »
Ahh ok man, I gotcha.

Yeah just type regedit into your run bar, and do a search for any SFC thing in there you want removed.

Of course, be careful when going through the registry.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:27:23 pm »
I suspect you may have installed as one user and uninstalled as another? In any case... Run the following regedit file (attached - download, unzip and double click or right click and "merge"):

Delete-EAW-from-add-remove-programs.reg:
Code: [Select]
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Starfleet Command II]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Starfleet Command II]

Delete-EAW-CD-key.reg:
Code: [Select]
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WON\CDKeys]
"StarfleetCommand2"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WON\CDKeys]
"StarfleetCommand2"=-

Note, it will say it has added information when in fact it has removed it. Confirm by loading the add/remove programs dialog.

Disclaimer: it uses an undocumented regedit file feature and should work on both XP and vista, but all it does it remove it from the add/remove programs list. (which I believe can also be achieved with a simple right click on the item in the add/remove programs dialog in some cases?) Anyway, it does not actually uninstall it nor does it back up the registry keys it removes. Note it removes the key if present from both the system and current user spaces. It will also require admin priveliges.

The Gamespy API oh wait, WON API cd key will remain should you re-install. But if you want to remove the CD key registry entry for EAW as well then run the second file attached as well.

Offline CknKllr

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:33 pm »
Thank YOU, SIRGOD!

Not the tech wizard or anything, but that was relatively easy.  It took a few repeated searches to find all the registry entries, a couple reboots, and rechecks.

That said.  Found them all, and it no longer shows up in the Add/Remove Programs function in the Control Panel.

Thank you for the fast reply today, and with helpful information.

Cheers

Offline CknKllr

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:32:05 pm »
Hey Bonk,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I think I was able to delete the registry entries.  I deleted the WON CD key also.  It did remove from the Add/Remove, but perhaps I will run the files to be sure it is all removed.

Thanks to both of you.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:47 pm »
You are more then welcome, and as always, we are here to help.

Hope to see you on SFC OP one day.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »
SFC VII ?

Stephen

Somewhere there is an alternate Universe where SFC is up to version 7 and true to their SFB roots.  Unfortunately they keep rejecting my application to immigrate.  :(
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:32:33 pm »
that would be the universe where Activision was bought out by Westwood, and couldn't turn everything it touched into crap right?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »
See,  I thought it was the game where Duke Nukem fought Klingons.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:55:21 pm »
It is the universe where Interplay remembered their motto and Paramount kept Star Trek true to its past.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:24:18 pm »
Good God, I just knew we where living in the Dark Mirror universe all this time!

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:49:59 pm »
Good God, I just knew we where living in the Dark Mirror universe all this time!

Stephen

I guess that explains why I don't fit this universe so well, I belong in the good universe. 

I guess even the dark universe needs some good examples.  ;)