Topic: new mouse  (Read 2232 times)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
new mouse
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:47 pm »
hey all. A while ago I got a new computer desk. it is a glass topped desk and it looks and works just great. But, I use Logitech mice. laser mice. As I'm sure you are already thinking it, optical/laser mice won't work on glass stupid. So, I got a little round, thin mouse pad to use. it is okay, it just was annoying that I had to pay attention to make sure the mouse stayed on the pad. Well, the other day I was poking around the 'net and saw that Logitech has two new mice that are supposed to work on all surfaces, including glass and glass topped tables/desks. this sounded cool so i went out and got the desktop version today. Well, I have to admit that they weren't kidding. This thing works like a dream. no problems at all. It is very smooth and accurate and has quite a few new knick knacks to try out. it is even rechargeable. You can plug the thing into an open USB port or the wall and it recharges the batteries inside. And the batteries are regular AA size so you can replace them if/when they wear out.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: new mouse
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:42:39 am »
cool, been needing to get a new mouse.  Will have to look into those.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:38 am »
I got the mobile version for Christmas last year. I have an old oak desk which came from the University of Michigan that I had refinished and put a 3/8 inch thick piece of glass over the top of it. The mouse works fine on the glass top with no tracking issues. The manual did say that thin glass can make a difference in performance though. I think I have another piece of glass that is thinner, if so I'll try it when I get the chance and see if it works. Now that I think about it I'll have to try it on a mirror as well. The box that the mouse came in said that regular batteries will last for 3 years without replacing and that it will work with only one battery if needed. But if you ever wanted to lose the mouse pad, this is the mouse to get.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:23 am »
I've been looking at that razar Naga, or even the WoW mouse, just to have all the extra buttons at my right hand.

Cool though that you found one that works on glass.

Gives me another idea.

I've been looking for a long time, for a simple, used bunk Bed frame.

The idea is to put my three PC's up above, and then use a cyclone fan to assist with cooling. Cables would easily drape down to the monitors, (which is slowly turning into a wall of monitors)

Now I have peg board being used under my desk top right now, for cable control, but If I got a good piece of sheet glass, I could easily fashion it in with the bunk bed frame, for the desktop, and remove the peg board.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Kreeargh

• Retired.
  • Lt. Commander
  • Life is as is worth only what you learn from it!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:48:40 am »
Cool works through glass i may need to get one just in case, but Blah on mice. Track balls Rule in my uses, thumb version logitech trackman wheel. Purchaced 3 in 7 years still have 2 to use when the first goes down  :P.  Finger tip trackball sucks it didnt last 18 months and the pain may get you same as mouse in the long run but thumb track ball has saved my hand 100 fold from pains .  Its hard to get used to for a bit but all that hurts is the thumb now not the entire hand ,wrist and elbow.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:58:42 am by Kreeargh »
Time for life!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:05 am »
Track balls Rule in my uses,

Same here.  Years ago I injured my wrist and until I found various type of exercises I could do mousing really was a pain.  Trackballs however were not.  I couldn't have played SFC for more than about an hour at a time without the trackball back then. 

Some may be shocked to hear this but my 3 trackballs are all Microsoft models and I am very happy with them.  One I will replace soon as it is too bulky for the portable use I make of it. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:29 am »

Some may be shocked to hear this but my 3 trackballs are all Microsoft models and I am very happy with them. 

HERITIC!

:D

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:09 am »

Some may be shocked to hear this but my 3 trackballs are all Microsoft models and I am very happy with them. 

HERITIC!

:D

Stephen

Someone should check on Toasty, he might have a heart attack seeing that.  ;)
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:55 pm »
To be fair, from the posts I've read, Nem's jihad is against MS software.  I've never heard him complain about their hardware, so he's not being hypocritical for liking their track balls.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »
To be fair, from the posts I've read, Nem's jihad is against MS software.  I've never heard him complain about their hardware, so he's not being hypocritical for liking their track balls.

To be more accurate:

1/ it is opposition not a jihad.  I am not out to see Microsoft destroyed. 

2/ It isn't against their software but against their illegal and unethical behaviour.

Illegal as judged in many court cases around the world.  They have been convicted of being an "abusive monopolist" in U.S. courts.  The UK and South Africa have both found them guilty of false advertising.  France has found them guilty of software piracy (continued to include code that their license for had expired).

Unethical is MY opinion.  I can give examples if needed.

I have in fact praised Microsoft when I felt it warranted.  I merely refuse to buy (or to illegally copy) their software until they comply with the relevant laws and behave ethically. 

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
Track balls Rule in my uses,

Same here.  Years ago I injured my wrist and until I found various type of exercises I could do mousing really was a pain.  Trackballs however were not.  I couldn't have played SFC for more than about an hour at a time without the trackball back then. 

Some may be shocked to hear this but my 3 trackballs are all Microsoft models and I am very happy with them.  One I will replace soon as it is too bulky for the portable use I make of it.

I get my employeer to replace my MS Trackball Optical every year. There is no way I could do as much data entry for the lab with a push/pull mouse. My thumbs are very nimble, monkeys got nothing on me!
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Capt. Mike

• Live from Granpa's Grotto
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »
Youse guys are funny...

But then, since I play guitar (rock, bluegrass, flatpick and classical) along with bass, banjo and mandolin, I find that I don't have a problem with my wrists or forearms...I also use the mouse from both hands, since the wife is lefthanded and has her mouse on that side..and I get to install all the updates..

So work those muscles  ;D 

Mike

Summum ius summa iniuria.

The more law, the less justice.

Cicero, De Officiis, I, 33

"It doesn't, and you can't, I won't, and it don't
it hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't, and it shouldn't
it couldn't"
FZ, 1974

My chops were not as fast...[but] I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops.  I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with twenty notes.
 --Les Paul