Topic: Interesting new search engine  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Interesting new search engine
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:44:36 am »
I had this idea last month: facial recognition based image search of the web. Well today I realised that Exalead has a good start on it. (No place for sample/query image upload as I had envisioned.. or js image analysis client side with metadata sent in query to server....)

http://miiget.labs.exalead.com/

A celebrity search engine that allows you to search for famous people and explore their relationships with others. Combines Exalead's core technolgies plus advanced image analytics (face detection & similarity) from LTU Technologies. Technologies deployed include:

* Named Entity Detector
    * Relation Context Extraction
    * Advanced Picture Analysis (face detection & similarity)

As a demo Miiget is currently limited to a subset of People extracted from the Web (a few hundred thousand people). Feel free to contact us to see more. Try these queries Bill Clinton and Albert Einstein.

I tried "William Shatner" and the result was pretty good.

Their "regular" search engine is interesting too. http://www.exalead.com/search/

Disclaimer: I have no association and have not investigated for any associated malware/spyware/badware or whatever it is called this week. And they are not that new... I just clued in this week looking at our awstats data. (they are number two between google and MS)

Offline FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

• Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Interesting new search engine
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:21:35 am »
While at it this one could be also be interesting for you Bonk.
Wolfram/Alpha Computational Knowledge engine.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Its  nice for people who are into scientific results.
FRA.E.Kehakoul_XC

Director - Diplomatic Division

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:32:44 am »
Thanks Kehakhoul! I had heard of that one, but last I looked it was in closed beta. Interesting to see how it works now.

It responded well to a query of "bisphenol A" - even gives the pressure of the boiling point which in this case is pretty significant information not previously known to me. (it is not nearly as volatile as I thought) HOWEVER, they got the solubility wrong. It is soluble to approximately 100 ppb in water. (thus the whole health concern over its use in containers and liners)

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:06:21 am »
(No place for sample/query image upload as I had envisioned.. or js image analysis client side with metadata sent in query to server....)

Well now, take a look at what I just happened to find while browsing through firefox plugins today:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8922

TinEye is the first image search engine on the web to use image identification technology rather than keywords, metadata or watermarks. When you submit an image to be searched, TinEye creates a unique and compact digital signature or 'fingerprint' for it, then compares this fingerprint to every other image in our index to retrieve matches. TinEye does not typically find similar images; it finds exact matches including those that have been cropped, edited or resized.

The actual site:

TinEye

TinEye is a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution versions. TinEye is the first image search engine on the web to use image identification technology rather than keywords, metadata or watermarks.

Sigh, another bright idea of mine already implemented. I'm just a little too slow. One of these days I'll get an idea that is ahead of the game!

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:34:30 am »
Yeah, the problem is that if the idea is ahead of the game it seems crazy, and who would use it.  If it seems reasonable and everyone would want it, odds are it's out there.  You gotta find the thing that people don't yet know they want. lol.