Topic: this has bugged me for years  (Read 20339 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: this has bugged me for years
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 10:43:04 am »
The Excelsior was arguably a failure.  It was supposed to demonstrate the trans warp technology.  If it had succeeded then why did not the Enterprise C through E have the technology?  To me it has all the ear marks of a failed prototype.  Scotty expected it to fail which is why he criticized it, TNG proves he was right.  Any later Excelsior designs presumably went back to warp engines.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 10:47:28 am »
they all did, even the original excelscior was refit by STVI with normal warp engines we can see that much on her nacells. And the A wasnt a peice of junk, it was freash from refit/construction STIV and and sources make this hard to really figure out, but the A was ordered to Neranda III without having a full crew and still in peices, the ship wasn't near ready to launch.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 10:59:47 am »
And the A wasnt a peice of junk

I believe that Corbomite was referring to the Excelsior.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 11:04:27 am »
Advanced? Funny, I remember it being a POS and Scotty saying as much. I guess I'll have to suffer through ST5 again to find out.

The ship was suffering from glitches in its new presumably more advanced computer.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 11:14:28 am »
Advanced? Funny, I remember it being a POS and Scotty saying as much. I guess I'll have to suffer through ST5 again to find out.

The ship was suffering from glitches in its new presumably more advanced computer.

Sounds like a certain game series we all know and love...  ;D

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:23 am »

Sounds like a certain game series we all know and love...  ;D

Taldren did go for the movie era look in the stock game for a reason
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:42:21 pm by knightstorm »

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 05:00:14 pm »
The Excelsior was arguably a failure.  It was supposed to demonstrate the trans warp technology.  If it had succeeded then why did not the Enterprise C through E have the technology?  To me it has all the ear marks of a failed prototype.  Scotty expected it to fail which is why he criticized it, TNG proves he was right.  Any later Excelsior designs presumably went back to warp engines.

Remember in Star Trek III Scotty took parts out of the Excelsior so that it would break down when it gave chase to Kirk and crew stealing the Enterprise. Thats one way of thinking it was a failure. Scotty was in charge of the transwarp drive on the Excelsior when it was being built. He gave the parts to Kirk but I guess they never turned the parts back over to Starfleet

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 05:53:12 pm »

Remember in Star Trek III Scotty took parts out of the Excelsior so that it would break down when it gave chase to Kirk and crew stealing the Enterprise. Thats one way of thinking it was a failure. Scotty was in charge of the transwarp drive on the Excelsior when it was being built. He gave the parts to Kirk but I guess they never turned the parts back over to Starfleet

It has been a long time since I saw that particular movie but I was under the impression that Scotty was not involved with the Excelsior and was against it.  That he was able to get a tour (and freedom to sabotage) based on his stature as Starfleets best Chief Engineer.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 06:01:43 pm »

Dude we all know from the last movie, the reason Transwarp didn't work was because of the lack of Red Matter, and Isolating Scotty long enough to work it out.

<ducks>

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 06:06:39 pm »

It has been a long time since I saw that particular movie but I was under the impression that Scotty was not involved with the Excelsior and was against it.  That he was able to get a tour (and freedom to sabotage) based on his stature as Starfleets best Chief Engineer.

2285 – Promoted to captain, oversaw test of transwarp drive for U.S.S. Excelsior under Capt. Styles  (from the Offical Star Trek site on the Bio of Scotty)

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »

Dude we all know from the last movie, the reason Transwarp didn't work was because of the lack of Red Matter, and Isolating Scotty long enough to work it out.

<ducks>

Stephen

I thought the TROST explanation is that the ship didn't have a propeller.  Or maybe it was because the warp nacelles were not balanced in natural gravity.  Or maybe transwarp only works when there's a supernova capable of threatening the entire galaxy.  Possibly, you have to fly into a black hole to travel through time and create a lightning storm in order to trigger it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:12 pm »
I love it Knightstorm. Good points.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:38 am »
I forgot the most important technological innovations in TROST's SR universe. :banghead: :banghead:  The ship needs water turbines, and tailfins on the nacelles!

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 05:16:20 pm »
Why was the entire consitition fleet mothballed? The design couldn't have been that hard to upgrade, Oberth class ships are older as noticed with there 3 digit registry, putting them very old. Miriandia class registries also are right around Consistion class's and those vessels still serve and are smaller and more cramped. What was the reason besides a dramtic finish to Star Trek Six was there to retire the Consistion Fleet, I mean the Enterprise A was refit in 2286 and mothballed in 2293 that doesnt make sense at all. Also why are constellation class ships retired from fleet duty.
The Enterprise A was not refit it was competely new ship with warp core instead of coil which the refitted one had before it crashed into Genisis.Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock.I do agree with you as why didn't you see them use the most popular ship of them all as you saw all the others.I guess they just wanted to get those next gen fans to forget about the original cast."Those Butchers Charelton Heston Planet of the Apes".

I beleive that they were being replaced by the Miranda class as they were cheaper to run and operate than the Constition A Class.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:31:55 pm by Age »

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 05:47:27 pm »
cheaper but not as much space

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00:12 pm »
The reason I would assume is so that Starfleet can build more Excelsior class ships to go further out and do exploration.Starfleet didn't need the massive exspensive CA like the Enterprise A in service.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 07:48:42 am »
The reason I would assume is so that Starfleet can build more Excelsior class ships to go further out and do exploration.Starfleet didn't need the massive exspensive CA like the Enterprise A in service.

Different designs for different purposes.  One could be equipped for the long range exploration while the other is for short to medium range.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 03:44:10 pm »

Different designs for different purposes.  One could be equipped for the long range exploration while the other is for short to medium range.
Yes exactly as the Miranda fullfills the role where the Constition A use to however a few could be kept in reserve for diplomatic use only.

Offline candle_86

• The Old School
  • Lt.
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 04:19:26 pm »
a Miranda doesnt have the enternal hull space of a Connie, also a Connie has more room for science. It would make the smarter choice.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 06:03:43 pm »
a Miranda doesnt have the enternal hull space of a Connie, also a Connie has more room for science. It would make the smarter choice.

But the Excelsior does.  Starfleet adopted a class which could perform the Constitutions role better.  Relegating the ships to secondary duties was a waste of resources when they had the Mirandas which could do the job just as well.