Topic: As far as DVD gimmicks go, this one is kinda cool.  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
As far as DVD gimmicks go, this one is kinda cool.
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:49:01 am »
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200942/4607/Star-Trek-bundled-with-sassy-Starfleet-insignia-USB-drive

Star Trek bundled with sassy Starfleet insignia USB drive
by Stevie Smith - Oct 13 2009, 16:00

Crap! Just when we thought we’d found our collective ceiling regarding geek-attracting gadgetry. Moroever, while we continue fighting the urge to snap up a Prestige Edition of Activision’s upcoming Modern Warfare 2 – just because it comes with night-vision goggles – our penchant for all things sci-fi is also being tested anew.

Specifically, as the November DVD and Blu-ray release of Star Trek looms large, accompanying sales-boosting merchandise is starting to seep from the marketing woodwork. While we can turn our noses to replica Phasers and flip communicators, the nature of our profession might be a problem after clapping eyes on a limited edition Star Trek-branded USB drive.

Suitably cheap at just $29 USD, which means we can (almost) justify the purchase to friends and family, the individually numbered 4GB drive has not only been cannily designed to resemble a Starfleet insignia, but also comes complete with a pre-installed copy of the hit action blockbuster.

Granted, one possible setback arises after learning the drive’s content is DRM protected, but we’ll forgive that particular shortfall – just this once – because the movie can be run on five different devices and can also be ripped to DVD, so it’s not that bad.

Now all we need is to similarly justify the $150 USD required to secure midnight snooping and possible arrest while decked out in fully functioning night vision specs.

--------------------------

Even though I hate the DRM, IT is kind of neat to have the movie on a Flash Drive.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
Re: As far as DVD gimmicks go, this one is kinda cool.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:36:48 pm »
On a flash drive that looks like a commuicator you mean.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:15:29 pm »
It is just the logo, the TNG communicator had a bar behind the shield.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:35:55 pm »
Truthfully, even if this was a movie I was inclined to buy the dvd for, it really doesn't strike me as the sort of gimmick that would interest me.  Granted, a 4 gb usb key is always a good thing to have, the shape of this one might make it difficult to insert into some USB ports.  Additionally, since most pcs have DVD drives, why would I want a copy on USB if I'm buying the DVD.  And if the reason is to put the film on a portable media player, I'll rip it myself (I'll argue that putting a film taken from a lawfully purchased dvd onto a portable media player for my personal use falls into the realm of traditional fair use that is legal under the DMCA).  Personally, I think the best gimicks are the ones that give away passes to see other films in theaters.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:38:41 am by knightstorm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00:49 am »
Additionally, since most pcs have DVD drives, why would I want a copy on USB if I'm buying the DVD.

For use on your Netbook designed to look like a Tricorder of course.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."